Why become a member? ×

All the gear and no-eye-dear

MiltyG565

Its all about music appreciation. The one thing I wouldnt overlook is that whilst we know audiences can be indifferent to the tone, they can also not understand its impact that it has on them understanding and recieving the music. I think you have to accept that whilst an audience may listen more wirh they're eyes than theyre ears, feel thr music through atmosphere, there is a definite detailing of the music through tonaility.
Basically, if a punter at a gig had a good time listening to the band but understood nothing about gear, tonality and EQ set ups, that still doesnt mean they didnt enjoy the tonal qualities of the bass, it doesnt mean they woukd have enjoyed relative boomy bass soup delivered through a less well considered set up.
Its goes back to being about art appreciation, if you have the means and the desire to communicate within a certain voice then do it, its all about art appreciation - be that lofi noise or high fidelity mastering.

Edited by Left Foot

Remember the knife thread recently?
I have a damascas steel hand-forged japanese kitchen knife. Why? Because they can get incredibly sharp, it cuts effortlessly, and I love the thought of how it was made, and how it looks. It's a pleasure to use.

No-one has ever complimented me on how exquisitely chopped the carrots and onions are. That doesn't matter.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442994176' post='2871154']

With a .ca domain? That doesn't stand for "California".
[/quote]

He is in Ontario. Just South of Detroit. He may technically live in Canada and may have a slight Canadian accent but there's no way he is a proper Canadian.

I've worked in Michagan and Ontario and met a lot of people who live in that area. ;)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1442935847' post='2870742']
This thread is the "gift that keeps on giving". Think I'll come back in a month and see if its still going around in circles!
[/quote]

It's just another great example of how you can generate huge discussion by making a sweeping generalisation about, and to, a group of people.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1442999932' post='2871224']
Remember the knife thread recently?
I have a damascas steel hand-forged japanese kitchen knife. Why? Because they can get incredibly sharp, it cuts effortlessly, and I love the thought of how it was made, and how it looks. It's a pleasure to use.

No-one has ever complimented me on how exquisitely chopped the carrots and onions are. That doesn't matter.
[/quote]

You should quote this statement in the Fenders thread. It's all about how you feel, end of story!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443000552' post='2871231']
He is in Ontario. Just South of Detroit. He may technically live in Canada and may have a slight Canadian accent but there's no way he is a proper Canadian.

I've worked in Michagan and Ontario and met a lot of people who live in that area. ;)
[/quote]

Good grief, so you issue Canadian passports too? Is there no end to your authority?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1443009462' post='2871369']

Good grief, so you issue Canadian passports too? Is there no end to your authority?
[/quote]

Sorry. I thought you wanted to know why he had a .ca web address and might be interested in the geography and people of that area.

My mistake. :rolleyes:

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443011651' post='2871414']
Sorry. I thought you wanted to know why he had a .ca web address and might be interested in the geography and people of that area.

My mistake. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I was simply pointing out that it was quite likely that he was Canadian rather than American. But it seems that although he comes from Ontario, which is in Canada, and lives in Ontario, which is in Canada, he's not Canadian because some of Ontario overlaps with some bits of America. So does that mean that Dumfries is English, or is it that Alnwick is Scottish?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442928157' post='2870611']
Seems to me he's just doing Stand Up (I know he's sitting down!) and having fun.

I've thought most of what he says at one time or another in the last 20 years.

It's just an aggressive satire. I would have thought everyone would know his routines are based on well known stereo types.
[/quote]

exactly

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441542023' post='2859625']

Why can't I ask a group of bassists, many of whom gig in cover bands at the weekend in the local pub, why they choose to use more expensive equipment at these gigs when cheap equipment would generally suffice?

[/quote]

I think the answer to the original question is actually right here. An inexpensive bass will indeed often 'suffice' or to put it another way will 'be okay'.
Quite simply though, some of us want more than just okay.

Also, as far as justifying it for weekend pub gigs is concerned - over my playing career to date as a pub rock covers band bassist, I'd estimate that I've earned somewhere in the region of £75000 - £100000. Not a fortune given that it's over a period of 20 years but I still think it justifies the financial aspect of using a more expensive bass if I wish to.
As for why I might want to use one, I'd say most of the noticeable improvement you get from an expensive instrument over a cheaper one is likely to be in the playability and feel - more than in the sound. If a better feeling instrument means I enjoy playing it more then this will be the case whether it's in a pub or a stadium - and at the end of the day it is all about enjoyment for me.

Having said all that, my current main gigging bass actually cost around £400 new but was still the best bass I could afford at the time I bought it for my needs.
I did however gig a £4000+ bass for 10 years because I liked the way it played, looked and sounded regardless of price. If I'd had the option of gigging it at the O2 arena I would have done but unfortunately pubs and clubs were the only place I could gig it - so I did!