Why become a member? ×

Songs you never want to play again

colgraff

I'm gonna go back on my earlier comment about songs I don't want to play again.

On balance, I'd rather play almost any song that suits the gig and keeps that dance floor full, instead of opting for something serious and muso-ish if it clears the dance floor completed.

I go home after a gig remembering the overall vibe and energy, and if a couple of songs I'd regard as cheesy are necessary to keep the audience happy then so what?

There are quite a few songs that bore the pants off me totally, but they tend to be ones that are less than kick ass for everyone involved too, including the audience, so I don't feel to bad about leaving them out of the set!

Saying that, I'd rather aim for songs that are neither cheesy nor leave the vibe as flat as a witch's tit. The cool ones that make people think "wow what a great song, you don't often hear this" - that's where the fun is ha ha!

Edited by bassbiscuits

I have never played & never will play Summer of '69 or Sex on Fire. I've also managed to get the rest of the band to agree so it's become the rule. If we get asked for either we chuck it in the disco playlist :P

Mustang Sally on the other hand we resisted for ages then chucked it in a few months ago, avec extended guitar solo over a ramped-up 16th note rhythm & drop outs for the audience to sing 'ride Sally ride' at the end. Loadsa fun!

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1441360108' post='2858205']
The band I saw last night at Krazy Horse in Bury St Edmunds played almost all the songs mentioned in this thread. Great band with great enthusiasm so no complaints from me. Had to laugh when when they struck up with Sweet Home Alabama though and had thoughts of enraged Bass Chatters. :D
[/quote]

There's no doubt, if a band is good enough , they can get away with playing more or less anything. There's plenty songs I hate, but if someone was to perform them flawlessly, I would have to hold my hand up and say, well done!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441122750' post='2856213']
I'll put up with most things if it gets the crowd going, if that doesn't float your boat maybe you should just rehearse and never do a gig, I would happily never do Nellie the Elephant but the crowd loves it, if they're pissed enough
[/quote]

One word: OLGA!