Why become a member? ×

Second Hand Bass with considerable damage on arrival - what you would do?

Naetharu

Some people's idea of what's acceptable to not be mentioned, and someone else's can be entirely different. My Modulus for example is 16 years old, but looks like it was maybe built last year. Someone else can own an instrument from new, and after 6 months, and it can a right mess, but to them it's acceptable, and 'the norm'.

I like it when you see sale adverts here they describe the item as 'mint, except for......', and they go on to list various dents and bumps.

:)

Dings are pretty meaningless on any guitar or bass which gets serious use - no matter how hard you try to keep your instruments pristine, sh*t can and will happen if you are using them for the purpose for which they are intended.

Not all instruments respond the same way - ask yourself why Geddy Lee who has a massive collection, and the resources to buy pretty much anything regardless of price tag still cites the beater jazz bass he bought in a pawn shop for $200 as his favourite.

I would be looking to get a partial refund for the cosmetic damage if the playability, ergonomics and sound were spot on.

In fairness to the seller, I imagine they get a used bass in, photographs are taken and it's shelved, waiting for a buyer. If the bass takes a while to sell dirt and light corrosion can happen during the waiting.

Also, most things look better in the picture.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1439547921' post='2843733']
Bottom line is if your not happy send it back :) .. doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks, they didn't pay for it.
[/quote]

Would anyone else like to buy it from the OP at the price he paid?

What the OP also needs to think about is, OK he may have paid a bit OTT, but if the bass cleans up, is it worth paying that bit OTT for knowing how grat it plays and sits - you can't put a price on missing out on all that buying blind off evilbay

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1439542986' post='2843659']
Can you post some pictures?
[/quote]

If the bass is as damaged as the OP says it is, then I'd send it back. It's one thing to have a bit of wear and tear in the areas where you'd expect wear and tear, that doesn't necessarily mean the bass has had a hard time of it. But if it's been dropped from waist height onto a hard surface commensurate with straplock or strap button failure, then that's a different matter. The OP did not get this bass at a bargain price. If you do the conversion from euro to pounds sterling it's not a big reduction for a bass that could be seriously damaged.

If a bass has been dropped in this way it's not something that can be cleaned up or glossed over, it could be structurally compromised. Even if it's a great player we must assume from what we've read from people who own these basses that they are consistent, and a different bass from the same manufacturer that is in good condition will be as good as the OP's.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439549543' post='2843764']
it could be structurally compromised
[/quote]

I think this is the key thing really. £400 isn't pocket change and this bass wasn't, I presume, sold as being anything other than 'lightly' used?

I think people are jumping to the defence of the seller as they '[i]know[/i]' him as the type of guy that wouldn't knowingly rip-off, or ship out a bass that is a joke. Word spreads fast, evidently, and I don't think someone would want such bad press associated with ripping off customers when they're clearly experiencing a huge wealth of interest from this source.

There seems to be an odd conflict, that only arises on internet fora, that is that people pit the accusor (with little to no reputation as such) against the good reputation of a seller that people [i]want[/i] to trust, as there are far too few folk out there doing what that guy is doing (providing quality hand-built bases at a fraction of the cost).

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439561217' post='2843937']
I think this is the key thing really. £400 isn't pocket change and this bass wasn't, I presume, sold as being anything other than 'lightly' used?

I think people are jumping to the defence of the seller as they '[i]know[/i]' him...
[/quote]

I really must state that I do not feel that I was duped or otherwise badly dealt with, and the seller has been very good to deal with regarding returning the bass and ordering a different model. This was no doubt an honest bit of miss-communication and nothing more.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439565261' post='2844016']
I really must state that I do not feel that I was duped or otherwise badly dealt with, and the seller has been very good to deal with regarding returning the bass and ordering a different model. This was no doubt an honest bit of miss-communication and nothing more.
[/quote]

So why make a thread about it? If I made a thread about every time I have returned something this place would read more like Money Saving Expert.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439566091' post='2844036']
So why make a thread about it? If I made a thread about every time I have returned something this place would read more like Money Saving Expert.
[/quote]

For the reason clearly stated in the first post - I was torn on whether to keep the bass and was looking for some advice from more experienced people to help me make my mind up before messing the seller around with a return. The point of the thread, which I think is pretty clear from what I said, was to ask for advice and not to complain about my experience.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439574550' post='2844139']
For the reason clearly stated in the first post - I was torn on whether to keep the bass and was looking for some advice from more experienced people to help me make my mind up before messing the seller around with a return. The point of the thread, which I think is pretty clear from what I said, was to ask for advice and not to complain about my experience.
[/quote]

Very well then, go on about your business. Touche. :)

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1439566091' post='2844036']
[/quote]

When you receive a bass you've been excited about, and it is not how you expected it to be (whether your expectations are reasonable or not), it's normal to feel quite disappointed. Basschat is only a few clicks away, so we pour our thoughts/experiences onto it. I don't think it's that unusual. The OP was asking for our collective opinion, as many do every day about other things. I don't think it's fair to pick on him :)

I'm glad the issue seems to have a happy ending. I cannot say I know the seller that well, I only exchanged a bunch of emails with him, but for what it's worth, he comes across as a very genuine guy. He's been very good with me during the order I placed for a bass a few months ago, and the bass was just exactly what I ordered. I was so happy, that I have placed another order, this time specifying a greater deal of details. I'm happy to hear that he continues to try to make his customers happy, whatever the issue.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1439580212' post='2844214']
When you receive a bass you've been excited about, and it is not how you expected it to be (whether your expectations are reasonable or not), it's normal to feel quite disappointed. Basschat is only a few clicks away, so we pour our thoughts/experiences onto it. I don't think it's that unusual. The OP was asking for our collective opinion, as many do every day about other things. I don't think it's fair to pick on him :)

I'm glad the issue seems to have a happy ending. I cannot say I know the seller that well, I only exchanged a bunch of emails with him, but for what it's worth, he comes across as a very genuine guy. He's been very good with me during the order I placed for a bass a few months ago, and the bass was just exactly what I ordered. I was so happy, that I have placed another order, this time specifying a greater deal of details. I'm happy to hear that he continues to try to make his customers happy, whatever the issue.
[/quote]

I agree, I misunderstood the OP's initial issue/concern, owing to the direction discussion went in. No intention to offend/annoy/agrieve etc. :)

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1439633962' post='2844530']
Anyhow,

Just to make a final post everything is sorted for me. The bass is being returned and I have a beautiful new one on order. All smooth as can be and very happy. Cheers for your help folks :)
[/quote]

Cool!

So... what's the new one going to be like? :)

Well after experiencing how darn nice these basses played I went crazy and ordered a full blow Elwood X 24+ in red burst with black binding and inlays on the neck and a Delano pre-amp. It's going to be something I keep for years so decided to go wild :gas:

Basically this, but with active electronics, black hardware and binding, and in 4-string rather than 5. Now I just have to find some way to make the next five weeks zoom past :huh: