Why become a member? ×

Active PA Speakers?

mingsta

I play in a Vox, Guitar, Bass, Drummer with e-kit set up. Our singer has a cheap 12" passive speaker and 300-watt power amp set up which the guitar and vocals go through, while the bass and e-drums are amplified via their own backline. The PA is a bit pokey and stuggles in bigger rooms/outdoor gigs and I'm thinking we'd have less kit and a better and more integrated sound if with could upgrade the PA and have everyone go through it.

I'm currently ooking at Active PA speakers in the £800-1000 range such as Yamaha DXR15's (700 watts continuous, 2-way 15" and 2.5"). Does anyone run a similar set up with the whole band going through? Would it be enough for medium sized pubs? We're not a particularly loud band but would like something with decent headroom while being on a bit of a budget in a 2-speaker package. Any recommendations for alternatives in that price range recommended too as I know naff all about PAs.

For my band of E-drums, bass, 2 guitars & 2 vox I ended up with this lightweight solution for small & medium sized venues.

Yamaha EMX5016cf into EV Sx300's - FOH.

Yamaha Stagepas 600i - foldback.

Roland KC150 - E-drums.

Were the EMX to fail I would use the 600i for FOH. If the 600i failed I would do without foldback. But I've never had a piece of Yamaha equipment fail on me in 10+ years.

Never any feedback as both have effective killers.

Bass - backline.
Drums into KC150 & line out to mixer.
Guitars from pedals into mixer, no backline.
Vox into mixer.

FOH mix, (drums, guitars, vox).
Aux 1 to monitor channel on KC for drummer, (guitars & vox). This gives independant volume for both inputs, drums & aux 1.
Aux 2 to 600i for foldback, (guitars & vox).

It takes time to get confident with mixing and getting the right gear makes the job so much easier. There will be others on BC who have had equal success with other makes and other solutions so some good advice should be forthcoming.

Edited by grandad

The problem is the 15"s and the money.
For medium pubs and not a loud band, go for QSC K10's for the cut down rig..and look to add a decent sub pretty quickly.
That will get the 10's some depth and the capability to run kit thru the P.A.

Don't think 15's on their own will do it but the issue is the e kit...

Edited by JTUK

The Yamaha's are pretty good for the money, ignore the hilarious power ratings, as these mean naff all... (particularly the QSC K series which sound very nice but have no headroom).
With an E kit i'd be looking at small tops and a sub personally.

Edited by chevy-stu

I really wasn't that impressed with the Yamaha's, they didn't sound great on vocals sounding harsh and lacking detail. The RCF's are so much better it is worth stretching to them if you can. There's an offer on at PMT http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/rcf-art422a-mkii-active-speakers.html making them just affordable. I say that as a bit of a fan of Yamaha and someone whose PA is mainly Yamaha. I just think the DXR's are a bit ordinary. Reliability is a given though.

I'm another who would push for smaller speakers and adding a sub later. 15's can lead to problems in the crossover area which is often in the middle of what you need for great vocals and 15's are bloody big to be on stands,

I've used a variety of active cabs in PA's and they can be handy for a quick setup if you have a desk your happy with. For that price you should be able to find a decent pair - RCF, Mackie, db etc. but I wouldn't run the full band through them - for vocals and a tiny bit of backline spread they'll be fine. If you want any serious low end from a kick drum and bass then you really need some subs to go with them.

If your budget is fixed and do want the whole band to go through the PA then I'd look at an older system with passive cabs and power amps - you could grab something like a set of peavey hisys cabs and a 2600 power amp (or two). More bulk to move around and not quite as hifi sounding as some more modern lightweght rigs but they are pretty reliable and can do gig and gig.

or get the active tops now and add some subs later.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1439134823' post='2840284']
I really wasn't that impressed with the Yamaha's, they didn't sound great on vocals sounding harsh and lacking detail. The RCF's are so much better it is worth stretching to them if you can. There's an offer on at PMT [url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/rcf-art422a-mkii-active-speakers.html"]http://www.pmtonline...e-speakers.html[/url] making them just affordable. I say that as a bit of a fan of Yamaha and someone whose PA is mainly Yamaha. I just think the DXR's are a bit ordinary. Reliability is a given though.

I'm another who would push for smaller speakers and adding a sub later. 15's can lead to problems in the crossover area which is often in the middle of what you need for great vocals and 15's are bloody big to be on stands,
[/quote]

I've seen the K10's for around £1000 the pr in package deals. I didn't think there was much between them and the K12's, tbh..and the sub would negate that anyway.
I think the horn in the DXR is a tad harsh..the QSC is nicer all round and quite close in price so I'd pay the difference.
QSC are a bit more quality IMO.. altho Yamaha are good in that regard..

I've gone to an all Yamaha setup (DXR12's over DXS15 SUBS and DXR10's for monitors) and it's a marked improvement over my previous Mackie setup (not to mention lighter).

I don't find the vocals particularly harsh although I'm aware that I could spend more money and improve things further but for now I'm happy.

The 10's with a sub also seem to work well. I was also sold on the reliability aspect along with the 7 year warranty.

I also play in a 4 piece where the vocalist has the slightly cheaper Yamaha DBR 12's which he is very happy with.

Edited by xzodar