Why become a member? ×

Do you compose on a hand-held device?

discreet

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1441957220' post='2863186']
I tried GarageBand on the iPhone and iPad and found it impossibly fiddly with the swiping, resizing and all that.

You need a desk, a big screen, a mouse and a bass on your lap.
[/quote]

That's what I've found too. I've had a go on the ipad but it's much too fiddly when you feel expansive.

Guitar to work out structure, reporters notepad for lyrics and then bash everything out in garageband on the Mac for a demo. I've got Logic as well but you can spend all day getting it to sound right when that's not the point.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1441955497' post='2863174']

Totally amazing
[/quote]
I agree. I was amazed at what a phone app is capable of producing. I used the phones built in mic for vocals and all the instruments are the apps built in keyboards etc.... Not the loops but you know what I mean. I made about 10 songs in this way and each was of a similar standard (songwriting aside). Truly amazing app.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1441984976' post='2863561']
Having watched the Apple Keynote yesterday, the iPad could become much more usable in this area very soon due to the release of the iPad Pro, which has a larger keyboard and the launch of the iPen. Looks interesting.
[/quote]

The iPad Pro is stretching the concept of hand-held, though.... and tipping over into arm-cradled B)

Anybody using Android who is feeling nostalgic for Rebirth (or early Reason maybe) etc. check out Caustic.

In saying that I'm doing it a big disservice really, cos this app is huge, you could do whatever you want with it, anyway... here you go

www.singlecellsoftware.com

Not sure about laying down funky bass lines ( ! ) probably need importing as wav files, but this app has layers upon layers of goodness.

Full version is about 6 quid, also a free pc version, for the butter fingered, ham fisted, half deaf members of the community.

There are loads of superb in-depth Youtube videos from the developer.

I use my iPad for composing.
Tabletop is a great free app that you can add 3rd party instruments to (such as Akai MPC) & I actually paid £30 for Korg Gadget, which is a great fun app with some complex abilities (like automation of just about every parameter & you can export the stems to your desktop).
GarageBand is a great app too.