Why become a member? ×

Ability goes missing

grumpyguts

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438811163' post='2837704']
When checking out a bass one needs to stop thinking one is being tested.

The bass is being tested not you.

Don't perform.

Play every note on every string,

Play octaves, play fifths.

Use different pickups, play with the tone controls.

Etc.etc.
[/quote]

Yup definitely this although I go a step further and also make it look and sound intentionally naff - extra points if you can get the shop assistant to roll their eyes :D

Yep you should be testing for consistency, dead spots, comfort and playability. To be fair it's fine to slap, pluck and play some chords to see how the bass responds to your attack etc but too many players worry about nailing their best Jaco lick. You're there to get a feel for the instrument, not turn heads :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438811163' post='2837704']
When checking out a bass one needs to stop thinking one is being tested.

The bass is being tested not you.

Don't perform.

Play every note on every string,

Play octaves, play fifths.

Use different pickups, play with the tone controls.

Etc.etc.
[/quote]spot on. its a very internal and personal experience playing a new bass/amp.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1438885882' post='2838450']
My experience is similar, but I put it down to imagining - especially if I attempt anything noodly - that I run the risk of looking like a plonker in front of shop guys who are likely to be immeasurably better musicians than me. So I just plod simple notes to get a feel for the bass or amp or effects pedal or strap or whatever.
[/quote]

I do suffer from this, but then I ask myself, do I really give a sh*t for the good opinion of someone who would think like that?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1439002298' post='2839344']
I'm having this problem at the moment, and all I did qas change my strings. My bass is all rattley and my left hand seems to have lost most of its dexterity. The gauge is more or less the same, but I"ve gone from Dunlop Super Brights to D"Addario Balanced Tension, and my playing has just.....gone....
[/quote]

BT's are a stiffer feeling string, the benefit being you have a more consistent feel across all strings and in some cases allows you to set the action a touch lower. My instruments definitely required the action to be tweaked with the BT's so maybe a set up is in order?

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1439147302' post='2840413']
Yeah, you're not wrong. Did you adjust your truss rod at all?
[/quote]

Probably. I have a pretty good eye for the kind of relief I like to see so if this was increased by the BT's I would have countered it with a tweak.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438940196' post='2838774']
It's called The Inner Game of Music. How self talk disables you as a performer. The best playing is done in a zone where external factors are completely ignored. Achieving that state takes discipline. It is fragile and can be broken far more easily than it can be achieved.
[/quote]

Very true. Been a while since I read the Inner Game of Tennis but it applies to many things in life. I also suffer from music shop pressure but never at gigs, for some reason. I think I need to go to more music shops to overcome my fear and have fun with some different gear.

If you are actually trying to get a feel for an instrument or listen intently to a new one , then I find that it saps the talent straight away , I am probably expecting too much from my simple head .
Similarly with the bands sound check , they all want to try fancy pieces to show off , but as I am out front listening , I want to play E , so , roadhouse Blues it is , without any chord changes !!
I would often fluff the first song aswell as I would be trying to listen to the mix , but I am past that now , I just fluff it up cos I'm crap :)