Why become a member? ×

head phones directly to bass??

joe_bass

Hey guys

Will keep it short... I've decided that it would be easier for me to get a pair of head phones to practice with than lug an amp backwards & forwards. Had a search through the forum etc & have an idea about a decent pair.

Only thing is can I plug directly in to the bass & if so would it be loud enough?

Cheers

Joe

Nein - but you can get a cheapo little headphone amplifier such as the little 'Nobels Bass MYcro' which is a lot of fun.... eventually you will go all the way and get a full blown IEM system because they make more sense than amplifiers!! ;0)

ped

[quote name='joe_bass' post='274422' date='Sep 1 2008, 11:50 AM']Okay cheers guys.

I think my old Zoom 506 (if thats what it's called!!) has a head phone input so should get away with using that.[/quote]

I sometimes use my antique Zoom 607 with headphones for practice, cracking little number I've had it ages still comes with me on gigs too!

I would use a Korg Ampworks Bass Unit.

[attachment=13232:bstkorawbass.jpg]

The output is stereo and the matching can be switched between amp / line
It gives you full eq control
The amp and cabinet modeling actually work (you can therefore find a sound that matches your amp / cab setup)
The effects are ok

After using it with headphones I never practice now with backline gear , it makes your bass sound so good.
Whatever you normally play through will sound inadequate after using this unit and headphones.

it is rather noisy with some settings but very quiet with others as it uses a noise-gate, and for about £45.00 new its superb.
I would recommend anyone to use it for practice.

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='281934' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:53 PM']Basslab make a headphone amp that can be fitted internally, although I think it requires an extra hole to be drilled for another jack. Go to www.basslab.de and click on electronics-->bassxx head.[/quote]

OOOOH! I like it!

Esp cos my Ray's got the bigassed cavity cover over the front, I'll just have to knock a hole in some plastic rather than actually go at the body wood!

Methinks I may pimp my ray for use as a practice bass :)

Also the battery warning indicator sounds like a plan too! god, I'm spoilt for choice!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='282144' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:46 PM']Stethescope, taped you your bass. The 'True Tone'.

If you think that is silly, there is actually a procust that is effectively that called the butterfly or something.[/quote]

I used to stick a set of Beyer DT100 into both an Ibanez PM1300, and my Stingray.
Worked fine

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='282144' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:46 PM']Stethescope, taped you your bass. The 'True Tone'.

If you think that is silly, there is actually a procust that is effectively that called the butterfly or something.[/quote]
I think its the Dragonfly?

I just tried plugging my Roland headphones directly into my bass- I got nothing, even with my Conklin's 18V preamp maxed.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='282191' date='Sep 11 2008, 10:01 PM']I think its the Dragonfly?

I just tried plugging my Roland headphones directly into my bass- I got nothing, even with my Conklin's 18V preamp maxed.[/quote]

Put a mono adapter on it, the stereo jack means the active doesn't switch on.