Why become a member? ×

Groundhog Day set lists...

jonnythenotes

I play in a mostly punk covers band, with a few of our own in there, which go down well at our regular venues, the only heavy rock cover we do is Whole Lotta Rosie,(and Ace of Spades which is a sort of rock/punk crossover) a couple of weeks ago our drummer and guitarist were doing their last gig with us and asked if they could do the set, they left out Rosie, after some girls spent half the evening going dah dah dah dah dah dah dah, they had to relent a put it back in.
On the topic of trying something different you can get away with it provided it's in the same genre, if a band tried mixing disco and rock I think they could be in trouble.
Most music pubs are supported by middle age rock fans, they seem to be the only ones interested in seeing a live band

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1437492462' post='2826502']
I have put on more weight.

Seriously, though, I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of deleting posts in my 'God, I Love Jazz' thread. I have never been aware of any shenanighans on there that required any deletions and [u][b][i]I certainly can't remember doing it[/i][/b][/u] (also, I cannot delete accounts; that's well above my pay grade). I am really not that easily offended (pompous and condescending I can take, but TWADDLE?!!!).

And, tauzero, re: dancing to 7:4; there are more ways to enjoy a gig than dancing and I suspect (although I have no evidence for this) that, overall, more people DON'T dance at gigs than do. There are also other varables. Having done many wedding/party gigs with the same band, I am often amazed at the way in which the same songs/set can get everyone dancing at one gig and hardly anyone dancing at the next.
[/quote]

1. I notice that there is no denial that I was thrown off the thread.

2. I never said that my account was deleted.

3. The old ' I can't remember' is not the same as this definitely did or did not happen.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1437492522' post='2826505']
I'm reminded of my old band The Premature Ejaculators. The music was raucous, and the lyrics were far too offensive to be enjoyed by anyone civilised, and yet whenever we played, we went down a storm. The only cover was "love comes in spurts"

...So I think Bilbo is right in that people ARE ready to experience something different, you just have to do it in the right way. Maybe it's just easier to engage people if you're playing the radio 2 playlist?
[/quote]

So we can all stop playing Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Summertime , Autumn Leaves etc and still get regular work? Yippee! I wish I had known this years ago.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1437492506' post='2826504']
Back when I used to play in rock bands, the drummer and I were putting together a covers band as a side project to our originals band. At about the time we were putting together the set list I was walking down the high street one Sunday afternoon, past about 4 or 5 pubs, all of which had bands on and all of which were playing 'Wishing Well' as I passed by.

At that point I decided that we weren't going to play the same stuff that everyone plays, or if we did, it would be in a very different style (ska-punk version of Beautiful by Christine Aguliera (sp?), breakbeat version of Seven Nation Army etc.). we did quite well out of it, even though half the set was made up of obscure album tracks rather than singles.

[i][b]So, I suppose I'm saying that you don't have to play 'what the people want' - if you put some thought and effort in you can give people something they never thought they'd enjoy.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

So what your saying is that for the past 30 years or so I've put no thought or effort into what I've been doing on most Friday and Saturday nights?

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437493396' post='2826518']

1. I notice that there is no denial that I was thrown off the thread.

2. I never said that my account was deleted.

3. The old ' I can't remember' is not the same as this definitely did or did not happen.
[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1437494167' post='2826527']
Please do stop playing them....
[/quote]

Well I'm afraid that it is unlikely that I will be able to in the immediate future as I have rent to pay. That said as tedious as the [i]thought of[/i] these types of numbers may be I have to say that once we start them and the punters stream onto the floor it is a real buzz to watch people enjoying themselves to music that you are playing. It's the reason I started playing music in the first place.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437490386' post='2826471']
1. Unnecessarily harsh. By all means challenge, but there's no need to be rude.
2. With all due respect, you've been here for 19 days. How can you have 'come to expect' anything? ;)
[/quote]+! At least bordering on rude.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437493800' post='2826520']
So what your saying is that for the past 30 years or so I've put no thought or effort into what I've been doing on most Friday and Saturday nights?
[/quote]
That's not what he said at all. From what I can see, nobody has accused you of that or anything like it. Why so defensive?

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1437458153' post='2826067']
Spectoremg..... ( two comments back) I was wondering when someone would bring that up, you have hit the nail right on the head there. As I mentioned in by initial start up comment, there are thousands of songs out there that are just as familiar as the 100 or so that get used by so many bands. If its true that audiences call the shots on what they want to listen to, how come bands who don't follow this master plan succeed. Soul/ Motown/ Funk/Ska/ Disco..None of these play any of the 'Bible' set songs, and most people in an audience are not big fans of soul or funk or even tribute band that might be on offer, yet these type of bands pull more people, command more money, and play more rewarding stuff for them as players than the standard pub rock acts... I have not spent 30 years, and thousands of pounds to get to a decent standard so I can be told what to play by a pub landlord, a bunch of pi**ed women on a hen party or anyone else who only thinks the band is good after a dozen pints have been guzzled. Go to the Jam house in Birmingham, and see how many of the photocopy set list get played.....Zero...yet 300 people are in ther every weekend night for the sole purpose of watching a good quality band...
[/quote]Well said. You're obviously correct because you agree with me ;)
If we pandered to what people wanted we'd be gigging Glenn Miller and Al Jolson covers!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1437488700' post='2826452']
Just as an aside, Echo Beach was tentatively in the set of the band i joined earlier this year and they seemed unsure of it so i really pushed them to go for it fully commited. It's gone down as well as anything else on the list at the 3 gigs we've done to date and better than some other 'regulars'. I'm trying to get them to do 'Turning Japanese' but I don't think I'll win on that one.
[/quote]

We do both Echo Beach and Turning Japanese, they both go down very well and are good fun to play. In fact we save Turning Japanese as the end track, it is one of those songs that for some reason all the women dance to in a very strange way!

We DO try to mix things up a bit. We try and pick songs that are popular but not overplayed. We try to do slightly different versions of songs too. The thing is, the songs that go down best are the ones that have been travelled the most ie. The same dirge that we all seem to hate playing.
As for playing rock songs because they are easier. I think that's not totally true. Disco songs tend to need a horn section or at least a keyboard. We have neither, so a lot of songs are not accessible to us. If someone says you can still do a version , fair enough, but it would be thin and we couldn't do it justice.
I like to think we are pretty good and are not playing songs because that's all we can play. Unfortunately up this way , they like what they like and numerous bands have tried something different and floundered :(

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1437496736' post='2826566']
Disco songs tend to need a horn section or at least a keyboard. We have neither, so a lot of songs are not accessible to us. If someone says you can still do a version , fair enough, but it would be thin and we couldn't do it justice.
[/quote]
This is true. Rock bands are definitely easier to populate -- good guitarists are ten a penny in comparison to good ivorytinklers.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1437496170' post='2826558']
+! At least bordering on rude.
[/quote]

As I said previously I don't agree that I was in any way rude.

Condescending...[font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority..[size=4].I stand by this[/size][/size][/font]

[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]Pompous ...[/font][/size][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important....[size=4][/size][/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]I stand by this[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]Twaddle....[/font][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]trivial or foolish speech or writing; nonsense....[size=4]Istand by this[/size][/size][/font]

I maintain I was simply being candid. I will accept unpleasant and/or unpalatable but not rude.

Well for starters, there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that he was speaking to you specifically, given that he didn't quote you and his post did not follow one of yours. As for precisely what he was saying... well I know what [i]my[/i] interpretation is, but why don't you ask [i]him[/i]?
This is quickly becoming ridiculous.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437497022' post='2826570']
As I said previously I don't agree that I was in any way rude.

Condescending...[font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority..[size=4].I stand by this[/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]Pompous ...[/font][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important....[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]I stand by this[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif]Twaddle....[/font][font=arial, sans-serif-light, sans-serif][size=1]trivial or foolish speech or writing; nonsense....[size=4]Istand by this[/size][/size][/font]

I maintain I was simply being candid. I will accept unpleasant and/or unpalatable but not rude.
[/quote]

This is quite an interesting thread without this, could you guys get a room? ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437497487' post='2826580']
Well for starters, there is nothing whatsoever to suggest that he was speaking to you specifically, given that he didn't quote you and his post did not follow one of yours. [i]As for precisely what he was saying... well I know what my interpretation is, but why don't you ask him?
This is quickly becoming ridiculous[/i].
[/quote]

So unless someone specifically addresses a comment toward me or they quote a previous post of mine I am not allowed to respond ?

As for your interpretation of what he meant, if you're not going to share it then how can anyone even be interested, never mind respond.

And I responded to his assertion that people who play in standard covers band put no thought or effort into what they do and [i]he [/i]hasn't responded but [i]you[/i] did.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1437497850' post='2826588']
This is quite an interesting thread without this, could you guys get a room? ;)
[/quote]

Mate I got bored with this hours ago but if anyone wants to address a point to me then you can [i]guarantee [/i]that I am going to respond.

[quote name='pjb13.bass' timestamp='1437498831' post='2826608']
So unless someone specifically addresses a comment toward me or they quote a previous post of mine [b]I am not allowed to respond [/b]?[/quote]Where, precisely, did I or anyone else say that?

As for your interpretation of what he meant, if you're not going to share it then how can anyone even be interested, never mind respond.[/quote]I would share my interpretation if I wanted. I didn't ask you to respond it, and I couldn't give a monkeys if you're interested in it or not.

And I responded to his assertion that people who play in standard covers band put no thought or effort into what they do and [i]he [/i]hasn't responded but [i]you[/i] did.
[/quote]Well with the best will in the world, I'm not a mindreader so I can't tell you exactly what he meant. As I said, I've got my own interpretation and it is precisely that -- mine. As far as I am aware, I'm under no obligation to voice it.
Still can't work out why you're so defensive about it, especially when nobody else seems to have taken the same umbrage.
Totally bored with this now.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1437499706' post='2826619']
Where, precisely, did I or anyone else say that?

I would share my interpretation if I wanted. I didn't ask you to respond it, and I couldn't give a monkeys if you're interested in it or not.

Well with the best will in the world, I'm not a mindreader so I can't tell you exactly what he meant. As I said, I've got my own interpretation and it is precisely that -- mine. As far as I am aware, I'm under no obligation to voice it.
Still can't work out why you're so defensive about it, especially when nobody else seems to have taken the same umbrage.
Totally bored with this now.
[/quote]

Mate! I quite agree that you are under no obligation to share your interpretation but but if you are not going to then don't refer to it.

Secondly because I disagree with something does not make me defensive it simply puts me in a contrary position. Neither have I taken umbrage because, and here at least I do agree with you, I am not particularly concerned if people disagree with opinions or simply don't like them.

If you are that bored with this then let it go and don't say another word but if you do know that I will respond.