Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash 2015 - looking for suggestions and seminars/workshops

Silvia Bluejay

While Nik enjoys his well-deserved week of holiday, we might start throwing a few ideas on to the table.
The bash is on 26th September. What would you like to do at the bash? Any topics you'd like to attend a talk about? Would you give a talk about one of your favourite topics?
Let us know: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/265547-south-east-bass-bash-no9-surrey-saturday-26th-september-2015/
Ta :)

Well seeing as we went further on the Precision test this year, to maple/rosewood across diffent basses, why not expand on the amp test from last year, but have the same bass/same amp, and get different cabs connected - see which gets the Basschatters Ears Award for best cab?

It's all pretty personal I guess, based on where you are in your journey. The modes demo at the Herts bash was brilliant for me, really clear and practical. If I wasn't so far away I'd be beating Nick's door down for lessons, but I'm sure it would have been common knowledge to others more advanced.

So from a personal point of view, a couple of things I've often read about, but never fully understood.

Playing behind and in front of the beat. I get playing on the beat (almost!)... but pushing/dragging is something that I'd love to have demonstrated. Not to be able to do it so much at my level, but to recognise and be aware of the difference, and the effect it has. Probably a difficult demo though as it'd take a pretty capable bass player and drummer I guess.

Effects - I've always just dabbled (and just have a B3 at the minute), but to hear from someone who knows their stuff would be interesting. I hear people who use effects here and there and it's awful, then there are those who use loads and it just sounds right. What/how to use, what to (and not to) mix, How to mix/blend, chain order, etc... and what compression actually bloody does???

Having said that, any technique stuff of any type or genre, or any applied theory stuff is always interesting too.

Where do you meet? I'm based in the West Country but come up from time to time, friends in Reading and family in Kent. If I could combine the two I could bring up the BassChat 1x12 http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227904-1x12-cab-design-diary/ and talk about the technical side of speakers, including ohms and watts of that would be interesting to anyone else.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1436947429' post='2822185']
How about a slapping and tapping masterclass.. a good hour or so at decent volume... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Good idea, but it has to be run by three or four people at the same time I think?