Why become a member? ×

is your throne as good as Dave's?

anDy LAKIN

as im sure a lot of us practice at home and for those that play sitting down, what is a good place to rest your bottom on? does anyone have a throne to rival Mr. Grohl? i just play perched on the edge of my sofa which is good but i dont think it is the best so any recomendations for stools seats or such like and of course we all love pics.

porcelain

You should practice in the same position as you do most of your playing that you are practicing for. That means if you do gigs standing up then you should practice standing up. If you sit down when playing, then you should use the same seat for both practicing and performing.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436378673' post='2817731']
You should practice in the same position as you do most of your playing that you are practicing for. That means if you do gigs standing up then you should practice standing up. If you sit down when playing, then you should use the same seat for both practicing and performing.
[/quote]

Wrong way round. I'm getting a roadie to bring my sofa to my next gig... ;-)

Only ever play standing up.

I find it feels really odd playing sitting down... i'm right handed and I can just about do it with the bass in the classical guitar position (on my left leg with the neck at about 20/30 degrees from upright), but I find it really uncomfortable to play with the bass resting on my right leg with the neck almost paralell to the ground.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1436428122' post='2817974']
Can we just pause a moment for the sheer brilliance that is Dave Grohl's Throne?

Just look at the engineering that's gone into it!!!

[/quote]

Yes it is quite something... but he is a global megastar... I'd probably go for something a little more subtle for dad rock covers down the dog and duck though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436378673' post='2817731']
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! I've struggled in the past when we have played a new song live and I've exclusively rehearsed it sitting down. The whole experience is different. We rehearse in one of my spare rooms and we all sit on wooden chairs , which are slightly better than reclining in a sofa. I much prefer playing everything standing up as that's the way you perform it.

It used to bother me but now I seem to be able to swap over easily without it really affecting my playing. I guess the trick is to wear your bass when standing at a height that is pretty much where it is when you're sitting down so the strings are about the same distance away in both positions, works for me. The only time I practice at home standing up is when I'm going through something that needs the PK5 pedals. I stand at rehearsals though so I guess I get enough non-gigging time playing stood up to manage.

Edited by KevB