Why become a member? ×

The Once A Month Club

blue

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1436107646' post='2814984']
We gig 7-10 times a month on average and that is enough to keep us tight. New stuff is rehearsed individually at home and then more often than not we just gig it. More complex arrangements will get a quiet group rehearsal round my house. I'm blessed to be with such capable and affable chaps.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was sort of getting at that with my response to Lozz. Our summer schedule is also right around 7-10 gigs a month, a lot of double and triple header weekends. So rehearsals would be a bit much.

And it also depends on the a guys ability, we added a key board guy last weekend without rehearsing with us. The guy was a pro, we sent him files of the set and I swear he knew the material better than me.lol

blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436115958' post='2815093']

Yeah, I was sort of getting at that with my response to Lozz. Our summer schedule is also right around 7-10 gigs a month, a lot of double and triple header weekends. So rehearsals would be a bit much.

And it also depends on the a guys ability, we added a key board guy last weekend without rehearsing with us. The guy was a pro, we sent him files of the set and I swear he knew the material better than me.lol

blue
[/quote]

Some people are just in a different league and it's great when your paths cross

We are more in the when we fancy it club to be honest. The whole band work a myriad of shifts and the band is a hobby to enjoy. We rehearse fortnightly most when not gigging and increase where appropriate for gigs. Our band is a tribute act so we have a big back catalogue we can use and learn if need be but we do it to suit us :)

I think it must be discouraging for guys looking for work to pay bills with and all they see are ads for the bands that only want to play once a month. However, like a few of you have said, being in a band for some is merely a social activity not driven by $$.

You might say if you need money to pay bills playing in a band isn't the way to go and you would be right. There was a time when any decent band could gig several times a week and you could make enough to get by if that was your desire. It's no longer an option for most guys.

blue

A few weeks ago we played a local festival and one of the bands that played before us kept going on about the fact that all 3 of these guys were attorneys and they do this for fun.

Sorry guys, just not into bands like that, they have no credibility with me and as you can probably guess they were not very good in my opinion. I say do your attorney stuff and leave the music hustle to guys that need it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436286102' post='2816758']...leave the music hustle to guys that need it...
[/quote]

Can't agree there, I'm afraid. You are no more 'needy' than anyone else. If you (and the band...) are good enough, you'll get work. If not, train up or change your job. That's what everyone else on the planet has to do, in whatever occupation; musicians are no special category, imo. Sorry.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436293025' post='2816844']
Can't agree there, I'm afraid. You are no more 'needy' than anyone else. If you (and the band...) are good enough, you'll get work. If not, train up or change your job. That's what everyone else on the planet has to do, in whatever occupation; musicians are no special category, imo. Sorry.
[/quote]

Respectfully agree that we disagree.

My band is doing 4-5 shows weekly, we do fine with work. I just don't like attorney's playing in rock bands. My position remains, attorneys stick to lawyering and stay out of the rock business. It was actually sickening to me the amount of times they mentioned they were all attorneys.

I won't be doing any training for anything, My thing is playing bass guitar in rock bands. Been doing it for 50 years, love it and have no interest in any other type of work.

Sorry, I just don't like it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436294022' post='2816860']
Respectfully agree that we disagree.

My band is doing 4-5 shows weekly, we do fine with work. I just don't like attorney's playing in rock bands. My position remains, attorneys stick to lawyering and stay out of the rock business. It was actually sickening to me the amount of times they mentioned they were all attorneys.

I won't be doing any training for anything, My thing is playing bass guitar in rock bands. Been doing it for 50 years, love it and have no interest in any other type of work.

Sorry, I just don't like it.

Blue
[/quote]

If they behave likes arses then fair enough, but a band is measured about how good they are... and there are degrees of that measurement, for sure,...
and for that it doesn't matter what you do, it's what you've got.

If you get played off the park, it doesn't matter what your day job... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436294520' post='2816868']
If they behave likes arses then fair enough, but a band is measured about how good they are... and there are degrees of that measurement, for sure,...
and for that it doesn't matter what you do, it's what you've got.

If you get played off the park, it doesn't matter what your day job... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Believe me if these guys were hot I would not have made the post. These guys were so far off from any element of rock it wasn't even funny.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436286102' post='2816758']

Sorry guys, just not into bands like that, they have no credibility with me and as you can probably guess they were not very good in my opinion.

Blue
[/quote]

This.

No problem with the doing it for fun. But they shouldn't expect to be taken too seriously except by guitar shops, where they can usually be found buying whatever expensive gear is recommended by glossy magazines.

I do have a problem with them if they are playing for free though. But that thread has been done to death on here more than once hasnt it :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436286102' post='2816758']
A few weeks ago we played a local festival and one of the bands that played before us kept going on about the fact that all 3 of these guys were attorneys and they do this for fun.

Sorry guys, just not into bands like that, they have no credibility with me and as you can probably guess they were not very good in my opinion. I say do your attorney stuff and leave the music hustle to guys that need it.

Blue
[/quote]

I can't quite get my head around this. Are you saying that the only people who should be playing in rock bands are people who do only that? Is it just attorneys or does it apply to anyone who has a day job and plays in a band as a hobby or for extra cash?

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1436305194' post='2816997']
I can't quite get my head around this. Are you saying that the only people who should be playing in rock bands are people who do only that? Is it just attorneys or does it apply to anyone who has a day job and plays in a band as a hobby or for extra cash?
[/quote]

I guess what I'm saying if your good, i would be blown away and wouldn't care what they did for a day job. But if your up there on stage with polo shirts and khakis constantly telling the crowd that all the members are attorneys and your not that good I have no use for them.

I felt like they were making a mockery of what I do for a living.

blue

Ah understood. We have two full time musicians in the band and none of the rest of us have ever felt the need to shout about our day jobs (I work in the tool factory putting the bubbles in spirit levels). We're not a rock band either.

I know more than enough guys who do it full time that aren't actually that good, but hey they work it and presumably they earn enough
and I know plenty of very good players who have to do part time jobs and teach to make their money up.

I've said countless times, I don't know many full timers who can get near £30k a year and they have to play EVERYWHERE and drive up and down the main motorways every week. I'm not sure I'd call that fun and it would become a 'job' just like anything else. And they aren't going to retire early either.

Having said that, I do know a solo act who is very very busy and works manically and he has bought and paid for his house in a matter of a few years
but that is a very rare story, IMV.

I have no problem if the band has great gear...I'd expect a very good band to have that, but if they aren't very good, then nothing will really save them.
Packing places out consistantly is very hard to do as well... so a monthly gig to your entire social circle is possible but doing it everywhere is very tough... and if you Can do that, you'll be setting better than average fees, for sure..

Good luck to you, in that case

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436384056' post='2817793']
I know more than enough guys who do it full time that aren't actually that good, but hey they work it and presumably they earn enough
and I know plenty of very good players who have to do part time jobs and teach to make their money up.

I've said countless times, I don't know many full timers who can get near £30k a year and they have to play EVERYWHERE and drive up and down the main motorways every week. I'm not sure I'd call that fun and it would become a 'job' just like anything else. And they aren't going to retire early either.

Having said that, I do know a solo act who is very very busy and works manically and he has bought and paid for his house in a matter of a few years

I have no problem if the band has great gear...I'd expect a very good band to have that, but if they aren't very good, then nothing will really save them.
Packing places out consistantly is very hard to do as well... so a monthly gig to your entire social circle is possible but doing it everywhere is very tough... and if you Can do that, you'll be setting better than average fees, for sure..

Good luck to you, in that case
[/quote]

30k? in my area in the States if you can make 12k from gigging your doing good.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436045766' post='2814607']If you want to be tight, you have to work at it. Fine as a hobby/bit of a laugh with mates but for a gigging band nope, rehearse every week for me, even if gigging in the same week.[/quote]

This for me. Mainly because I have to work hard at it to be adequate.

Once a month isn't enough action for me. But this time of year when everyone's on holiday it's always frustrating band-wise. Who wants to lie on a beach in the sun with their families when they could be rehearsing or gigging in a humid, oven-like room with sweat running down the walls? Bah!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436416808' post='2817923']
30k? in my area in the States if you can make 12k from gigging your doing good.

Blue
[/quote]

So you've pretty much answered your own question there as to why so many do it as a hobby and not a primary income stream. If the 12K relates to dollars then thats a little under £8000 at current exchange rates. Assuming you avoided all tax then £8K per annum would be considered a poor income here. Perhaps $12K goes a bit further in the US? If everyone who is currently doing it as a hobby here actually accepted that level of earning I doubt there would be sufficient venues and audiences to accommodate them all if it meant they all had to be out twice a week or more to get that money every year.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436430058' post='2817988']But this time of year when everyone's on holiday it's always frustrating band-wise.
[/quote]

Tell me about it - not had a practise with either band for the last month and a half where everyone is there. I get my revenge/holiday in August.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436384056' post='2817793']

[/quote]

I know a bloke who is phenomenally busy and charges top dollar - but he only does weddings and has a very specific act.

Typically he's out twice a week, and whilst I'm not sure, my best guess would be that he's looking at £800 to £1,000 a gig if not much more TBH.

For that, his clients get a very good singer, who also MC's the whole event and DJs the portions of the night where he's not performing, so it's a full on gig, and the event can stand or fall on his performance. He's excellent at working a crowd, and has the whole place up dancing very quickly. He's a very good networker and also has a paid engineer/roadie, as well as investing in top line gear : he's the first person I saw using one of those Bose column systems for example. Sadly, he works to high quality backing tracks for his live act, but, having spoken to him, I know he has worked with and learned his chops from a number of bands, since he was just a teenager. Whether he is fulfilled musically by the Michael Buble and Take That covers I don't know, but he's certainly making a bloody good living from it and he's a very sharp lad. His clients love him too, and he's booked almost completely through 2016 already.

Not the way everyone wants to work, but he's found a way of being a full time entertainer, that also gives him a great lifestyle.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436431776' post='2818005']
So you've pretty much answered your own question there as to why so many do it as a hobby and not a primary income stream. If the 12K relates to dollars then thats a little under £8000 at current exchange rates. Assuming you avoided all tax then £8K per annum would be considered a poor income here. Perhaps $12K goes a bit further in the US? If everyone who is currently doing it as a hobby here actually accepted that level of earning I doubt there would be sufficient venues and audiences to accommodate them all if it meant they all had to be out twice a week or more to get that money every year.
[/quote]

Pretty much this. I'd like to play bass for my day job but there's no way I'll take that pay cut.

We don't rehearse in the wedding/function band - we just get a link to the new songs (specific versions) learn them, turn up and play. We're booked up into next year, and we ain't cheap, so we must be doing something right ;)

I get to play with a lot of pro deps, and they don't half raise your game: I'd say always seek to play with people that are better than you, it'll improve you quicker than anything.

On the other hand, the originals band was (we ain't got together for almost two years now) all about songwriting in rehearsal, which was a whoooole other thing entirely.

To address Blue's OP - Monthly: I've just joined a fledgling 70s/80s Metal covers band (yeah, I know, but it's proper guilty pleasure :unsure: :D ) and we're approaching it on the basis of we play four to six new songs at a rehearsal (we can only fit one a month in, given our other commitments), then next time we run through those and add another 4-6, and so on. Gig ready in half a dozen rehearsals, then it's off to blow the roof off the Dog & Duck, again, probably once or twice a month, other gigs notwithstanding... But I'm only working on that basis because it'll fit in with my main gigging schedule...

Edited by Muzz