Why become a member? ×

The Once A Month Club

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436416808' post='2817923']
30k? in my area in the States if you can make 12k from gigging your doing good.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, I know they aren't earning £30k as that would have to be £600 pw.
They'll have a wedding gig most weekends at £250-350 and that is the bulk of their weekly money but they wont do that EVERY week thru out the year, for sure.
They may get two weddings a week but if they do 40 a year they are doing blindingly well...assuming the wedding fee is £1500 plus on average.
Teaching and doss gigs make up the rest of their week and they'll likely have a part time job as well

They aren't driving new cars ...or anywhere near new and they don't have new gear for the most part. Possibly their wife/partner has a 'proper' job.

That is, all in all, IMO, quite a sacrifice to do what you 'love'..??

You know guys, this was really me ranting about a 3 piece we did a show with that seemed more occupied with constantly telling the crowd they were all attorneys than on music. And they were marginal at best. They pissed me off.

Funny the bass player showed up at our gig last night. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

As far as full time gigging as opposed to the hobby band. If a band like ours is out there gigging 2-3 times a week and more in our busy summer season (keep in mind festivals and fairs are huge in Milwaukee) is not a hobby.

I personally wouldn't define gigging once a month as a hobby, it's a bunch a guy getting together for a little social activity.

As far as rehearsing it depends on the kind of band your in and a lot of other variables. For example a new band is going to rehearse more than a band coming up on 9 years together. If your gigging 2-3 times a week rehearsal would be called for new material if that.

I know of an originals band that rehearses twice a week without a gig insight. They want to be tight because they think they are going to be discovered by someone who will make them stars. Who knows, I guess it could happen.

I'm retired so it's a little easier for me to do this without a 9-5 day job.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436471802' post='2818501']...
I'm retired so it's a little easier for me to do this without a 9-5 day job...
[/quote]

Do we understand from this that you've revenue independant of your gigging..? (You're not obliged to answer this, of course...)..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436471973' post='2818503']
Do we understand from this that you've revenue independant of your gigging..? (You're not obliged to answer this, of course...)..?
[/quote]

Yes, I have revenue/ source of income outside of gigging. I did the 9-5 day job thing for 40 years and was miserable everyday.

Now when someone asks me what I do for a living, I'm proud to tell them " I Play Electric Bass Guitar and Sing in a Rock and Roll Band " as opposed to, " I'm a Worker's Compensation Claims Administrator " .

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436430058' post='2817988']
Once a month isn't enough action for me. But this time of year when everyone's on holiday it's always frustrating band-wise. Who wants to lie on a beach in the sun with their families when they could be rehearsing or gigging in a humid, oven-like room with sweat running down the walls? Bah!
[/quote]

Were all different, I would choose a 4 hour bar gig with an appreciative crowd than the beach/family option (not my scene).

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436473217' post='2818513']
Yes, I have revenue/ source of income outside of gigging. I did the 9-5 day job thing for 40 years and was miserable everyday.

Now when someone asks me what I do for a living, I'm proud to tell them " I Play Electric Bass Guitar and Sing in a Rock and Roll Band " as opposed to, " I'm a Worker's Compensation Claims Administrator " .

Blue
[/quote]

That's pretty awesome really, living the dream really - doing something you're passionate about.

It's currently 1:15 on a Thursday night and I'm just sipping a post-gig JD. My alarm is due to go off in 4 1/2 hours for me to get up for my day job. I still wouldn't want to only do one a month though, but I might reconsider in the morning :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436477016' post='2818568']
Me too - I wasn't being sarcastic, for a change. :)
[/quote]

Cool, keep in mind, I was married for 12 years and I have been divorced for 20. I've already been through the [i]"family on the beach stage" [/i]of my life. Good lord I wouldn't want to go through that phase twice.

Blue

Everyone sets what they can do time-wise and sets the bar with the type of band they want to be in..
then you just get agreement from everyone else. The problem is when people want to gig more or less.

We'd say 2-3 gigs per month and a rehearsal when applicable but some guys have killer jobs and
family ties and you have to balance the demands. The band has to be a release from that, and no another burden..?

Mostly the guys you want to use are very busy elsewhere so there will be clashes.
That is also why you also have 2 or 3 gigs.

Personally, I want good gigs rather than any gig but other guys will attend all number of jam nights just to play.

All long as it is good, is where I'd want to start from. If it isn't and the gig drag, I'm losing interest before I really 'lose' interest.

Yes...if a band were forever telling the audience about a day job, I'd be think what the hell has that got to do with
the gig..?? But if they weren't much good, I'd be gone quick enough anyway, or not be listening anyway.. so I'd miss the
continual updates.. :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1436471802' post='2818501']
I personally wouldn't define gigging once a month as a hobby, it's a bunch a guy getting together for a little social activity.

I'm retired so it's a little easier for me to do this without a 9-5 day job.
[/quote]

There are months where we only play once a month. It's definitely not a little social thing as last year it paid for a two week holiday to the Maldives and a new car. There are some months, particularly the summer, where we play twice a week. In the UK there are a lot of really really great bands that do this. They put on a great show and essentially its the day job that allows them to use top end gear and use pro standard PA and lighting. You may think we are hobbyists but we are entertaining large numbers of people to a high standard at weddings, corporate functions etc. This forum is likely to be full of members who are playing at borderline pro standard but have to get up the next day to do a day job.

If you are retired and have another source of income, surely the only difference between you and the attorneys is that you are a little more rock n roll in your stage approach and you are a little further down the track in terms of how much playing you've done? Who knows they may do exactly the same thing as you when they retire and the multiple gigs a week may well improve their performance somewhat.

Edited by mrtcat

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1436518605' post='2818731']
If you are retired and have another source of income, surely the only difference between you and the attorneys is that you are a little more rock n roll in your stage approach and you are a little further down the track in terms of how much playing you've done? Who knows they may do exactly the same thing as you when they retire and the multiple gigs a week may well improve their performance somewhat.
[/quote]

I doubt that, I came into this rock thing at the right time in history, around 1964.They didn't (way too young).

I started gigging in 1966. Just about everything I do is based in the vast education and history in rock music I was a part of and witnessed first hand.

I'll never be big on attorneys trying to play rock guy. I don't dig that scene.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1436516066' post='2818696']
Everyone sets what they can do time-wise and sets the bar with the type of band they want to be in..
then you just get agreement from everyone else. The problem is when people want to gig more or less.

We'd say 2-3 gigs per month and a rehearsal when applicable but some guys have killer jobs and
family ties and you have to balance the demands. The band has to be a release from that, and no another burden..?

Mostly the guys you want to use are very busy elsewhere so there will be clashes.
That is also why you also have 2 or 3 gigs.

Personally, I want good gigs rather than any gig but other guys will attend all number of jam nights just to play.

All long as it is good, is where I'd want to start from. If it isn't and the gig drag, I'm losing interest before I really 'lose' interest.

Yes...if a band were forever telling the audience about a day job, I'd be think what the hell has that got to do with
the gig..?? But if they weren't much good, I'd be gone quick enough anyway, or not be listening anyway.. so I'd miss the
continual updates.. :lol:
[/quote]

I see where your coming from. I am not very critical of gigs anymore. If they can pay our fee and there is an appreciative crowd it's a good gig for me.

Blue

Edited by blue