Why become a member? ×

Found an interesting 'finish' quirk on my jazz bass

Sibob

So I had to remove the scratchplate on my US Jazz Standard yesterday, so as to compare it to one I've purchased for my Jazz build, and this is what I find:

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

It's a little odd, because i've removed the plate before and didn't even notice the difference.
Anyone else found this or have any explanations?

I don't care btw......just thought it was interesting :)

Si

I've seen this before on a few cheaper jazz copies (my jaco'd fretless is the same) but never thought i'd see it on a US fender!
I always thought it was to save on finishing costs as it's a covered up area, but then i know absolutely zilch about spraying guitars so that's a complete guess! :)
This is my bass, doesn't bother me either and i have the 'plate off all the time

Edited by lemmywinks

Having said i'd never seen it before..........
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jaco-Pastorius-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-Guitar?sku=510486&src=3SOSWXXA"]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...mp;src=3SOSWXXA[/url]

My bass must be the real deal then, anyone wanna buy it for £1000? :)

I've seen that finish on many Fender Jazz basses I have fixed but I've never seen that kind of route on the neck pup or the route for the wiring on an American Fender Jazz. :) It should be the same kind of route for the bridge pup and the wires should tunnel through.
They do it on modern Squiers and other cheaper basses, I'm shocked to see such a cost cutting excercise.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='Bassassin' post='271292' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:26 PM']Every 70s Japcrap Jazz copy I've dismembered (and that's quite a few) has been painted like that. Not very many have such blatantly cheap & nasty pickup routing. Another reason to buy CIJ?

Jon.[/quote]

I imagine you'd be extremely annoyed if you bought it planning to use it without the scratchplate..................
Not such a good stage look!

Post recently edited due to bad english!

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='271372' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:10 PM']aye funny routs. cheap and nasty way to make it. and why the wee hole routed in it? whats that for? my CIJ p doesnt have one of them[/quote]

My Special P Bsss (Basschat controversial model), which has either an american hotrod or mexican special body, depending on who you listen to, has that hole too. I think it may be used when they're applying the finish for holding the body as they don't have any paint in them. Then again, i'm no Sherlock Holmes....John? yes , Sherlock no.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='271268' date='Aug 27 2008, 07:31 PM']I also though that the neck pickup on a Jazz was narrower than the bridge one so two templates would be required?[/quote]Your right they are but I mean the lugs that are routed out for the height adjustment screws should be on the neck pup also.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='271372' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:10 PM']aye funny routs. cheap and nasty way to make it. and why the wee hole routed in it? whats that for? my CIJ p doesnt have one of them[/quote]The hole is so it can be mounted on a turntable to be sprayed around on the back of the body.

Edited by steve-soar

I've just had a thought about the extra routing on mine, might it be because of the S1 switch, there being a few more cables and bits & bobs!?

Anyone else with S1 era jazzes and non-S1 era jazzes fancy taking some pictures? lol

Si

Well I guess I'm about 90% sure, the headstock decal says made in USA with serial number that dates it correctly, it has US standard tuners, it has the S1 switch system, it came in the standard US hardcase with truss rod tool etc.
I can't think that someone went to all the trouble of putting these US bits and pieces onto a MIM body!?

Si