Why become a member? ×

Made in / Crafted in

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I've just picked up a 'Crafted in Korea' Squier Precision. What is the difference between that and a 'Made in Korea' Squier Precision?

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1433020026' post='2787198']
The Japanese Fenders are similarly described and there seems no difference, they just used different phrases at different times.
[/quote]

This is my understanding of the use of the two phrases.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1433015415' post='2787134']
I've just picked up a 'Crafted in Korea' Squier Precision. What is the difference between that and a 'Made in Korea' Squier Precision?
[/quote]

"crafted" sounds more prestige... that's it. Marketing.

Left Twix, right Twix.

The Japanese Fenders are similarly described and there seems no difference, they just used different phrases at different times.
[/quote]

I thought one was made in Japan, and the other was assembled in Japan. Dunno if its true, but a Fender rep told me years ago that the earlier MIM Precisions were assembled in Mexico from parts made in USA.

The older ones are "made in.... The newer ones are "crafted in.... I believe that as the quality dropped (relative to the original mij) fender tried to raise the prestige and remind people that these guitars were superior craftsmanship, and hence the started using "crafted" instead of "made".

[/quote]

It's to do with the factory making the instruments. "Made In Japan" is exclusively used by Fujigen Gakki, who manufactured Japanese Fenders & Squiers from 1982 until the late 90s. Subsequently most production moved to Dyna Gakki & Tokai, who used "Crafted in Japan". These are all long-established & highly reputable factories, so build quality has remained consistent.

I would expect the MIK/CIK situation is the same as in Japan, however I don't know which factories are involved.

Jon.

made in probably means it has been assembled at lighting speed by a robotic teenager listening to an ipod which has probably just cost them several months wages

crafted makes you think it has been diligently and carefully constructed by a skilled artisan

hope this helps :)

It probably represents they're made in different factories, just like the Japanese instruments with teh MIJ and CIJ.
I have a Korean Squier Jazz that says "Made in Korea", the serial number starts with CN.... which I believe it means it's built by the Cort factory. Others were made by Samick (I forget what letter denotes that, possibly an S), and there may be others...
What's your serial number like?

Guest MoJo

It's just a six digit number and looking how close some of the pickguard screwholes are to the control cavity, I wouldn't say it's been 'crafted' by anyone :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1433079211' post='2787586']
It's just a six digit number and looking how close some of the pickguard screwholes are to the control cavity, I wouldn't say it's been 'crafted' by anyone :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:
no, I meant the letters before the numbers, what are they?

Guest MoJo

It doesn't have any letters proceeding the numbers

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/20150531_154200_zpsshd7cjst.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/20150531_154200_zpsshd7cjst.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1433083825' post='2787654']
It doesn't have any letters proceeding the numbers

[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/20150531_154200_zpsshd7cjst.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

ah! I have no idea, then :lol:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1433028409' post='2787262']
Twix's come from Korea?
[/quote]
[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1433155922' post='2788261']
Yes, the left one. Or is it the right one? I forget...
[/quote]
I thought it was more of a north/south thing...