Why become a member? ×

Message for all Wal bass owners

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Some of you may know that Chris Franklin at Harrow Audio has been the closest link we've had to Pete 'the Fish' Stevens at Wal for some years now and that Chris has been supplying some Wal parts via his own shop here:

[url="http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/products.asp?Parent=&Make=WAL&Search=wa&"]http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/products....;Search=wa&[/url]

But having looked at the Harrow Audio website today, what's really interesting to see is that Chris is now signposting people directly to Paul Herman ([email protected]) for Wal spares!

It's pretty well documented that Paul is going to be taking over production of the Wal bass very soon but this new development must mean that things are pretty well advanced or almost there in terms of Wal basses starting up production again, which is great news!

Just thought I'd share these positivite vibes with my fellow Wal owners and Wal fans here on Basschat! :)

Nik

That´s good news. I already mailed Paul for some pots.
What a timing: yesterday I signed to this board, today there´s a solution for one of my headaches found. What a day. (I also managed to repair a totally blown supply rail of my console PSU - YEEEEEHHAHAAAAA)

I think that is possibly some of the best news ever...

I have wanted a Wal for ages but never see 5 ers around, I may actually have the chance to buy my own Wal now. I would love to be able to build basses, i would go down there and work fro free to get some experience, if they needed and staff.

I hope it works out.

[quote name='Rich' post='270099' date='Aug 26 2008, 11:15 AM']Cool! I wonder if I can get some original control knobs for my Pro IIE..?[/quote]
Do you mean the actual pots or the knobs Rich? Only Chris at Harrow Audio has been selling replacement knobs for the Pro models a while now..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='270621' date='Aug 26 2008, 05:34 PM']Do you mean the actual pots or the knobs Rich? Only Chris at Harrow Audio has been selling replacement knobs for the Pro models a while now..[/quote]

I thought the knobs were gone, gone, gone. Chris would have to say though. Pots can be sourced but require a minor mod if you're replacing the original Radiohms.

[quote name='bassplace' post='270698' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:56 AM']I thought the knobs were gone, gone, gone. Chris would have to say though. Pots can be sourced but require a minor mod if you're replacing the original Radiohms.[/quote]
You might be right Dunc; it's nearly 2 years since I looked into it for myself..

[quote name='Merton' post='272261' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:19 AM']Was speaking to Phil Mulford last night at a gig of his, he was at Paul' s place a week or so ago and there are a number of Wal bodies and necks in various states of finish hanging on the walls. Yay![/quote]
This news is getting better!! :)

[quote name='jensenmann' post='272329' date='Aug 29 2008, 10:28 AM']Still no reply from Paul. Maybe my mail got spammed? Did someone over here actually have email contact with him?[/quote]

Bear in mind how busy he must be! There must be hundreds of people who have either been waiting for news on a Wal order, need spare parts or are desparately keen to get their hands on a Wal that have all been denied any point of contact for well over a year now! I realise this is frustrating - I need some bits myself, but I'm sure he will get in touch with you in due course. I hope you have some luck soon :)

FWIW I would also be interested to know if anybody has actually made successful contact with Paul via email.

[quote name='Mokl' post='272343' date='Aug 29 2008, 05:48 AM']Bear in mind how busy he must be! There must be hundreds of people who have either been waiting for news on a Wal order, need spare parts or are desparately keen to get their hands on a Wal that have all been denied any point of contact for well over a year now! I realise this is frustrating - I need some bits myself, but I'm sure he will get in touch with you in due course. I hope you have some luck soon :)

FWIW I would also be interested to know if anybody has actually made successful contact with Paul via email.[/quote]

Keep in mind that I think we're coming up on two years since Pete had to move out of his shop. Plus he had been slowing down for a while. ([i]I assume this is the case based on what's been said on the Wal forums.[/i]) So there was very likely a long list in "the book". Paul has to get many custom parts made, (bridges, knobs, pickups, electronics!), and fill that long list before he advertises anything. Hopefully he'll get to the point where he can deal with parts etc... soon. I hope all that stays the same.

[quote name='bassplace' post='272957' date='Aug 30 2008, 01:27 AM']Keep in mind that I think we're coming up on two years since Pete had to move out of his shop. Plus he had been slowing down for a while. ([i]I assume this is the case based on what's been said on the Wal forums.[/i]) So there was very likely a long list in "the book". Paul has to get many custom parts made, (bridges, knobs, pickups, electronics!), and fill that long list before he advertises anything. Hopefully he'll get to the point where he can deal with parts etc... soon. I hope all that stays the same.[/quote]
Good point; Paul obviously needs some breathing space to get this new venture off the ground. There was some trouble with long-overdue orders in the last days of Wal under Pete and I would imagine that Paul will want to get things off to the best possible start he can to restore any goodwill that might have been lost..

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Paul to see if he was honouring Pete's waiting list which myself and Stan Stammers who I manage was added to about two years ago by Pete. I'm guessing it'll take me a while to get a reply, but I'm sure Paul will reply to all emails eventually when he gets the time. I've owned two Wal's over the years and regrettably sold both, this time I wont make the same mistake!

Edited by crazypink

• 2 weeks later...