Why become a member? ×

Message for all Wal bass owners

silverfoxnik

Went to the new Wal factory yesterday with Mike G and had a great couple of hours... Paul Herman gave us his time and showed us around which was fantastic, so a big thanks to Paul for that!

Very briefly, the details on prices, build times etc, etc will all be available soon on the new website which is about to be launched though there isn't a date set for that yet. Quite wisely, Paul is ensuring that things are done very carefully so that the re-launch of Wal Basses is done with great care and respect for the brand name and also, to manage the considerable expectation that there is out there from amongst the Wal bass community!

With that in mind, I've said to Paul I'll let him see any photos I took yesterday before posting them up here or on the Walbassesnaturally group on Yahoo, so when he's had a look at them first and okay'd them, I'll put them up in another thread...

I had a phone call from Paul on Wednesday evening telling me that it was time and do I still want my Mk 3 bass. I have to say it was an unexpected surprise, but was a really good surprise all the same. He's a really nice and genuine guy and it was a pleasure to chat to him at length. I'm not prepared to give any further details at this time, as Paul is very busy at this time driving this all forward, and I don't want to compromise any plans or announcements that he may have.

All I will say is please be patient and give Paul the time and respect that he deserves, and if your on his list he will for sure contact you as your slot comes up.

I have the utmost respect for Paul, it can't be easy starting a new business in the current economic climate, let alone carrying on such a great bass name.

Stan & I wish him all the very best of luck!

Edited by crazypink

• 3 months later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='478110' date='May 3 2009, 11:44 AM']Went to the new Wal factory yesterday with Mike G and had a great couple of hours... Paul Herman gave us his time and showed us around which was fantastic, so a big thanks to Paul for that!

Very briefly, the details on prices, build times etc, etc will all be available soon on the new website which is about to be launched though there isn't a date set for that yet. Quite wisely, Paul is ensuring that things are done very carefully so that the re-launch of Wal Basses is done with great care and respect for the brand name and also, to manage the considerable expectation that there is out there from amongst the Wal bass community!

With that in mind, I've said to Paul I'll let him see any photos I took yesterday before posting them up here or on the Walbassesnaturally group on Yahoo, so when he's had a look at them first and okay'd them, I'll put them up in another thread...[/quote]

[b]Any update on the above?[/b]

ta
Oliver

I'm not sure its as easy as that. I am sure there are plans in place to get things geared towards production before making a big announcement then have the order books rammed and not have the ability to deliver the product. As Wal bases are so desireble i am sure they just want to be ready......I dont think its a double top secret, but a case of just getting things in the right order.

[quote name='supabock' post='584389' date='Aug 29 2009, 11:51 AM']I'm not sure its as easy as that. I am sure there are plans in place to get things geared towards production before making a big announcement then have the order books rammed and not have the ability to deliver the product. As Wal bases are so desireble i am sure they just want to be ready......I dont think its a double top secret, but a case of just getting things in the right order.[/quote]

I'm sure you're right, but I think the practice of offering limited tit-bits of information through second parties and then asking those people to be discrete at the same time can be annoying . I mean... Wal are not Apple Mac, are they?! It may not live up to the hype!

Its not really about hype, its about quality and reliability, and maintaining a solid reputation. I think the parties including myself who have been privvy to such information are just as excited about the situation as we all are (well Wal owners and players), and i think the information is just little and sparse, and i am sure that Paul is not telling people and then swearing them to secrecy. Time will show what the new Wal have to offer and i think they can only get better with any of their product in time. Wal certainly are not Apple Mac but really are right up there in terms of top bass builders etc.

[quote name='supabock' post='584408' date='Aug 29 2009, 12:22 PM']Its not really about hype, its about quality and reliability, and maintaining a solid reputation. I think the parties including myself who have been privvy to such information are just as excited about the situation as we all are (well Wal owners and players), and i think the information is just little and sparse, and i am sure that Paul is not telling people and then swearing them to secrecy. Time will show what the new Wal have to offer and i think they can only get better with any of their product in time. Wal certainly are not Apple Mac but really are right up there in terms of top bass builders etc.[/quote]

A schedule or an ETA from them would be good.

I believe Paul is still working on instruments for Charlie Chandler's via Charlie's shop. He looked at my Wal a couple of months ago. I think he'll be sorting out Pete Stevens backlog first. I hear Pete left behind a bit of a mess!

I took my '83 fretless Custom up to Paul's workshop for its slightly overdue 25 year service earlier in the week. Things are obviously moving along nicely on on the new Wal front with the web site (www.walbass.co.uk) apparently scheduled to be up in the very near future. I wonder who's going to be the first basschatter to order a new one?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I also noticed in the new issue of Bass Guitar Magazine that the chap from Spandau Ballet, Kemp? has a brand new Wal Mach II built for him recently. Although i am very jealous and he doesnt deserve it, ha ha, it can only be a good thing that some new ones are out of the doors already. It was avery nice looking bass too, very similar to Justin Chancellors.

Very exciting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='478110' date='May 3 2009, 11:44 AM']Went to the new Wal factory yesterday with Mike G and had a great couple of hours... Paul Herman gave us his time and showed us around which was fantastic, so a big thanks to Paul for that!

With that in mind, I've said to Paul I'll let him see any photos I took yesterday before posting them up here or on the Walbassesnaturally group on Yahoo, so when he's had a look at them first and okay'd them, I'll put them up in another thread...[/quote]

What about posting some of those pics now?