Why become a member? ×

Volume when using a PA/Mixer and a zoom b2 (specific question)

Geek99

If I'm right, the Zoom will bring the bass up to line level so the mixer will get a decent signal. The rest is then up to the PA.

Edit, looks like the B2.1u unit has the DI option. Still worth a try though perhaps. Hopefully you'll get a better answer soon.

Edited by Chiliwailer

You can certainly feed the Zoom into the mixer... but there has to be an amp somewhere!
How do you amplify the output of the mixer at the moment? It must have an amplifier built-in or there must be a separate amplifier for the mixer. In that case, it depends on the amplifier. If it's loud enough for the intended venue, then yes, it could work. If you don't have an amplifier, then... well, no.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1432662040' post='2783733']
You can certainly feed the Zoom into the mixer... but there has to be an amp somewhere!
How do you amplify the output of the mixer at the moment? It must have an amplifier built-in or there must be a separate amplifier for the mixer. In that case, it depends on the amplifier. If it's loud enough for the intended venue, then yes, it could work. If you don't have an amplifier, then... well, no.
[/quote]
It's an open mic night, trying to avoid taking my heavy combo and since I'm "the only bass player in the village" there won't be one there already
Organiser says there isn't an amp in his big mixer.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1432713933' post='2784092']
It's an open mic night, trying to avoid taking my heavy combo and since I'm "the only bass player in the village" there won't be one there already
Organiser says there isn't an amp in his big mixer.
[/quote]

I bet there is! ;)
An unamplified mixer is very quiet. Like... no sound.

He'll have some sort of PA, right? I've played my bass through small PAs in open-mic kind of situations. Sometimes very small ones, but then it didn't need to be loud.
I have sometimes plugged in directly into the mixer! The sound is not as "refined" as it could be, but that hardly matters. MOst mixers can cope with that kind of signal. But having something like your Zoom would be a better option:

Bass into Zoom, into mixer (which is amplified somehow into the PA speakers, because an unamplified mixer is very, very, very quiet, as I said... unless you all huddle around a set of headphones :))

So, I'd say you're set.

Ok thanks
He does have pa speakers as he makes announcements
I did suggest we try iPhone and irig next time
Am I ok to use the line / headphone or should I use xlr ?

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1432721713' post='2784212']
Run the XLR on the B2.1 to his mixer. It'll be at roughly mic level.
[/quote]

Yes, that will be best.
Headphone can work too, but as you have a DI out, use that first.

If it's a simple vocal PA arrangement just be aware that you might not have anything like a personal monitor for your bass so you'll have to make do with hearing yourself in whatever mix comes from the desk (with PA speakers facing away from you, pointing towards the audience).

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1432730318' post='2784336']
I think this thread wins the award for 'vaguest thread title'... :D
[/quote]

Would that it were; I've seen far too many 'Sold' or 'Gone'..! Useless..! :angry:

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1432730213' post='2784332']
If it's a simple vocal PA arrangement just be aware that you might not have anything like a personal monitor for your bass so you'll have to make do with hearing yourself in whatever mix comes from the desk (with PA speakers facing away from you, pointing towards the audience).
[/quote]at open mics the volume is usually fairly low so feedback is not any issue, I do one regularly where the speakers are behind the performer so you can hear yourself as the crowd does, I've often wondered why others insist on having the only speakers in front of the performer

If the PA is just two small top speakers then maybe the sound guy is being vague as he doesnt want to put your bass through his speakers. Should be okay at low volumes but generally you would want a PA with subs if you want to put a bass guitar through