Why become a member? ×

help for a silly old sod

hatori

Well guys my head is now totally done in! Ive been round in circles trying to decide which way to go.
I play Doods old Tobias 6 and a Fender Jazz fretless through my Markbass LM2 and a presonus tube pre that gives me that little bit of warmth when I need it.
I play in three bands ,genre's varying from blues, fusion and rock. So my dilema is what cab? Up till now I have been using home build cabs (1x12 Eminence and 2x10 PAS in Bagend spec cabs). These are getting a bit dogeared now and Im looking for (ideally) a standalone 4ohm cab that will fit in my Corsa 3 door hatch.
So heres the rub, I need to be able to shift air but dont want to get a hernia. Im torn because I like twelves so Ive been looking at Zoot 112 and 212 formats, also the Aguilar 212 (slightly less expensive). Ive seen the Warwick 611 and 411 pro cabs with 10's (competitively priced) but heavier to heave about.
Im not in a position to try gear at leisure so I have to get a clear picture using you guys experience with these cabs. I really like the Aguilar 212 idea but does anyone out there use one in a band with two guitarists? I should know the answer to this after 44 years as a player but, as I said, my head is done in.
Your input would be most welcome.

Check the Dimensions before you do anything, but for weight and tone myself and many others would tell you to look at the Epifani 310. Dont limit yourself to twelves, many a tech will tell you its more about the speaker design and cabinet volume than the speaker size.

Good luck!

Edited by ste_m3

I've no doubt you are going to get a dozen responses with suggestions based upon each persons present cab but I think you'll be hard pushed to beat the Schroeder for a standalone cab. The projection that it seems to have (probably attributed to the mid hump) means that it'll never be swamped by a pair of guitars. Physically sized against the other cabs I doubt there is a 'single solution' cab that'll beat it... the 1212 manages to fit a pair of 12s in the same size cab as most manufacturers single 12s.

I will state that this advice is based upon the 2 Schroeders that I have heard (and A/Bed against other cabs) which were the 2x10 +12 versions. To qualify my advice I'd also add that I recently had the same dilemma and went through a bunch of changes, including using; EBS 2x12 neos, Tech Soundsystem 2x10/1x15 and 6x10 neos before settling on a a pair of Aggie DB 1x12s... How's that for 'my' solution to a 1 cab problem :)

<edit> for typo

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='269302' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:19 AM']You should be able to get 2 1x12's in the boot of a corsa. I have listed lots in the basschat wiki with links to all the relevant websites.

My only other advice would be to try as many as you can. Any decent 3x10 or 2x12 should be able to compete with 2 thin stringers.[/quote]
Thanks guys methinks its down to either two 112 Zoots or a 2x12 Aggie. Im of on holiday in sunny plymouth for a week and will mull it over. Keep on sending your recommendations tho. Guitarists.........bunch of loud grassholes!

[quote name='hatori' post='269123' date='Aug 24 2008, 09:17 PM']....I play in three bands ,genre's varying from blues, fusion and rock. So my dilema is what cab? Up till now I have been using home build cabs (1x12 Eminence and 2x10 PAS in Bagend spec cabs). These are getting a bit dogeared now and Im looking for (ideally) a standalone 4ohm cab that will fit in my Corsa 3 door hatch....[/quote]
You really need a better, more bass friendly car! A 5 door hatch at the very least!!
How loud do you need to go? It seems to me that a 2 x 112 would work for Blues and Fusion but you'd need more for rock. The Epifani 310 is a great cab but probably wouldn't fit on your back seat. I use a Bergantino 112 and 210 for normal bands and the Epifani 410 for the loud ones; then I can add the 210 to go even louder, which would not fit in your car! The Bergantino cabs would easily fit in your car. A Schroeder might be a good 1 cab solution, if you like the sound. I think you have to do some travelling to hear before you buy.
Then again if "dog-eared" is your only problem, why not just recover your current cabs.

Have you tried an EBS 2x12?

It's maybe 2-3" taller than the Aggie 2x12 and the Proline weighs about 5 pounds more but I don't think you'd really notice this difference in a 'real world' situation. Obviously the Neo will be lighter but, personally, I prefer the Pro sound to the Neo - very much a personal thing I'd say though.

They go pretty deep and are very punchy. It's a 4ohm cab as standard so great as a standalone unit if you want to release the full power of an amp.

Worth a try if you have a dealer nearby anywhere?

PS - Promise I'm not saying this just because I've got one up for sale! I'm selling mine because I've fallen for an Ampeg SVT II and am very 'anal' about having matching heads & cabs, lol.

I don't play with 2 guitarists but my guitarist in the rock band plays a Les Paul through a Peavey 5150 which is a 120w combo and I have absolutely no problem being heard and don't have to turn up that loud either.

Another vote for a Schroeder 1212L cab.

I've got a Vectra but I can get my amp which is in a 4u rack, the cabinet, my bass, cab stand, keyboard stand to sit my rack on and my bag of leads in the boot without folding the seats down.

And another vote for a Schroeder 1212L cab.
I've been using one for the past two months and find that playing my regular gigs im lower on the master but still louder out front compared to my old UL212 cab (amongst others).
In my other band ive been using a 1210R for over two and a half years and find the same thing. I've never run out of steam with my MB heads when using a 12xx cab, i have done with others.
And they seem to work well on hollow stages. I guess because they dont have an extended bass response. Not much lack of useful low end out front though and while they can sound a bit middy close up they sit in a live mix very well.

IME of course.

I would recommend the Genz Benz Neox212. I've used mine on
around 30 gigs and lots of rehearsals ranging from Soul to Jazz
and a very loud rock band with two LOUD!! guitarists.

I power mine with a MB SA450, very loud clean setup.
The cab has no problem with the B string, projects well
and is quite sensitive, plus it weighs 50lbs.
The tilt back wheels also help when the stage is around
500 yards from the car park.

Gary.