Why become a member? ×

Single coils. Put up with the hum or go for noise cancelling pickups

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I gigged my recently acquired Yamaha BB404 last night for the first time. It immediately got a 'that sounds nice, is that new?' reaction from the band and I must admit, it did sound good. Later in the set I wanted to emulate more of a P bass sound so, I dialled out the bridge pickup and was met with classic, single coil hum. I could swap out the pickups for noise cancelling equivalents such as Seymour Duncan's Stacked Jazz or Dimarzio Ultra Jazz but I don't want to lose the original tone of the bass. What do other 'J' type bass owners do, just live with the hum?

Edited by MoJo

I'm a bit surprised that the P hummed, I always thought these were hum resistant, but maybe that's just Precisions. I used to use DiMarzio Super Js on a J bass I had, they sounded great IMO. As to the question, whether to put up or change, if it bothers you, then yes, but if it's more about sound quality, trust me, no one in the audience will notice. Recording is another subject, however.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1432543178' post='2782365']
I'm a bit surprised that the P hummed, I always thought these were hum resistant, but maybe that's just Precisions. I used to use DiMarzio Super Js on a J bass I had, they sounded great IMO. As to the question, whether to put up or change, if it bothers you, then yes, but if it's more about sound quality, trust me, no one in the audience will notice. Recording is another subject, however.
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have mentioned, it has two single coil pickups like a Jazz. I was planning to play on the neck pickup to get a more 'Precision-like' tone. I didn't have time to swap to my P/J which would have killed two birds, so to speak. I know that no-one in the audience will be able to tell but although the pickups probably aren't the best in the world, I like the way they sound. I don't want to change to a pickup that's going to scoop the mids

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1432543178' post='2782365']
I'm a bit surprised that the P hummed, I always thought these were hum resistant, but maybe that's just Precisions.
[/quote]

Looking at the model in question, it's got two J type pups so it'll hum like a Jazz.

EDIT: Beaten to it LOL.

Edited by HowieBass

It may have just been that room, especially if it has old style lighting dimmers. If you like the sound I'd just put up with it and accept you are going to hum in some venues. As was mentioned it's probably only you that would notice

I frequently gig on lead guitar with single-coil-equipped guitars, and often use two drive pedals at once for solos. Against the background of the other instruments, and on a stage large enough fro me to stand more than 4ft from my amp, it is rarely a problem. I really notice the hum at home though!

However, all my basses are fully hum-cancelling, and I do remember hating audible hum when I used to gig a Jazz. As our American cousins say, go figure...

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432545288' post='2782395']
It may have just been that room, especially if it has old style lighting dimmers. If you like the sound I'd just put up with it and accept you are going to hum in some venues. As was mentioned it's probably only you that would notice
[/quote]

It could have been the stage we were on that accentuated the situation

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1432545473' post='2782397']
use a noise gate?
[/quote]

Could be an option

I had a Frankenstein Jazz that used 2 x DiMarzio DP123 Model J's (4 conducter). These look like Jazz pups but are two separate core in-line wired like a P, thus hum-cancelling, They are also hum-cancelling when wired in parallel. I wired them to push/pull volume pots in such a way that they were in parallel when the pot was down and in series (P-bass) when pulled. This proved to be a very flexible setup.

DiMarzio Ultra J's (DP149) are also wired like this, but sound a lot less like a P.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Guest MoJo

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1432547562' post='2782444']
I had a Frankenstein Jazz that used 2 x DiMarzio DP123 Model J's (4 conducter). These look like Jazz pups but are two separate core in-line wired like a P, thus hum-cancelling, They are also hum-cancelling when wired in parallel. I wired them to push/pull volume pots in such a way that they were in parallel when the pot was down and in series (P-bass) when pulled. This proved to be a very flexible setup.

DiMarzio Ultra J's (DP149) are also wired like this, but sound a lot less like a P.

G.
[/quote]

Hmmmm......sounds interesting

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1432544273' post='2782377']
Sorry, I should have mentioned, it has two single coil pickups like a Jazz.
[/quote]Doh! I should've checked the model out first I guess; schoolboy errors at my age - just embarrassing.

There is whole sticky thread on this, you don't have to put up with it.

follow the steps; get some copper foil or graphite paint, shield it, test it and hum should be minimal or gone
My jap jazz was totally silent after

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1432548700' post='2782467']
There is whole sticky thread on this, you don't have to put up with it.

follow the steps; get some copper foil or graphite paint, shield it, test it and hum should be minimal or gone
My jap jazz was totally silent after
[/quote]

I didn't realise shielding could be that effective. I have some copper foil. I'll give it a go. Thanks

Make sure it has either 1) conductive glue or 2) solder joints between each piece or you're wasting your time. There are loads of threads here about foil with conductive glue and how it can be bought on eBay for peanuts

You're trying to create a faraday cage to catch interference and EM noise, I got 0.0008 ohm resistance from furthest point and bridge to jack socket earth suggest you use a multimeter to check continuity

You'll (maybe) get a /tiny/ amount of hum audible when not playing (due to SC limitations) but a simple noise gate or suppressor can filter that out

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1432549370' post='2782481']
Make sure it has either 1) conductive glue or 2) solder joints between each piece or you're wasting your time. There are loads of threads here about foil with conductive glue and how it can be bought on eBay for peanuts

You're trying to create a faraday cage to catch interference and EM noise, I got 0.0008 ohm resistance from furthest point and bridge to jack socket earth suggest you use a multimeter to check continuity

You'll (maybe) get a /tiny/ amount of hum audible when not playing (due to SC limitations) but a simple noise gate or suppressor can filter that out
[/quote]

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1432542357' post='2782355']
I gigged my recently acquired Yamaha BB404 last night for the first time. It immediately got a 'that sounds nice, is that new?' reaction from the band and I must admit, it did sound good. Later in the set I wanted to emulate more of a P bass sound so, I dialled out the bridge pickup and was met with classic, single coil hum. I could swap out the pickups for noise cancelling equivalents such as Seymour Duncan's Stacked Jazz or Dimarzio Ultra Jazz but I don't want to lose the original tone of the bass. What do other 'J' type bass owners do, just live with the hum?
[/quote]

I would put up with it, if I liked the sound and did not want to change it. Single coil hum has never really been much of an issue for me.

If you do end up changing for humbuckers, I can't praise enough the "Area J" pickups from DiMarzio. But I don't know whether they'll sound the same.
I replaced J pickups because of the sound, but never because of the hum. I imagine in some rooms it could be annoying, but in the vast majority of places it should not be intrusive.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1432576828' post='2782907']
I used the Dimarzio dp123 model j pups, they were hum cancelling, but I found them very woolly sounding compared to the stock single coils, so swapped back, so if you like the single coil sound I would avoid them.
[/quote]

I agree, I'm not a fan of the Model J. Just haven't got the punch I expected.