Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Bass

ChunkyMunky

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1432550155' post='2782489']
The ship starts to sink and it's every man for himself. So I cling to the bass and paddle it to shore like a surf board.
[/quote]

Hmm, OK - but I intend to use my bass and paddle Drew Barrymore to shore like a surf board.
Assuming she was on the ship in the first place, of course.

*Thinks* Hmm... so all I have to do now is get a job in a cruise band on a ship with Drew Barrymore on the passenger list, then somehow contrive to make the ship sink close to a desert island... I'll do it! What could possibly go wrong??

Edited by discreet

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1432553067' post='2782523']
Polar bears? On a desert Island? Call me pedantic, but shirley the clue's in the name...? :huh:
[/quote]

And a deserted research base, and lots of people wandering around the place not having a clue what is going on.
I watched the first series before giving up - it [i]LOST[/i] me :)

From the Oxford...

[color=#800080]1 - An uninhabited and uncultivated tract of country; a wilderness: a.1.a now conceived as a desolate, barren region, waterless and treeless, and with but scanty growth of herbage;—e.g. the Desert of Sahara, Desert of the Wanderings, etc.[/color]
[color=#800080]2 - Formerly applied more widely to any wild, uninhabited region, including forest-land.[/color]
[color=#800080]3 - Desert or deserted condition; desolation.[/color]
[color=#800080]4 - An alleged name for a covey of lapwings.[/color]
[color=#800080]5 - desert island, an uninhabited, or seemingly uninhabited, and remote island; also attrib. and fig., esp. (of equipment, cultural objects, or behaviour) suited to the social isolation and limited baggage allowance of a castaway on a desert island.[/color]

Nowt about being exempt of polar bears. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432555268' post='2782557']
From the Oxford...

[color=#800080]1 - An uninhabited and uncultivated tract of country; a wilderness: a.1.a now conceived as a desolate, barren region, waterless and treeless, and with but scanty growth of herbage;—e.g. the Desert of Sahara, Desert of the Wanderings, etc.[/color]
[color=#800080]2 - Formerly applied more widely to any wild, uninhabited region, including forest-land.[/color]
[color=#800080]3 - Desert or deserted condition; desolation.[/color]
[color=#800080]4 - An alleged name for a covey of lapwings.[/color]
[color=#800080]5 - desert island, an uninhabited, or seemingly uninhabited, and remote island; also attrib. and fig., esp. (of equipment, cultural objects, or behaviour) suited to the social isolation and limited baggage allowance of a castaway on a desert island.[/color]

[/quote]

It may be one of those rare situations where the OED might not be as useful as it would normally be...

How about this from the (admittedly less prestigious) Chambers Dictionary:

[b][color=#0000cd]'common sense[/color][/b] [color=#ff0000][i]noun[/i][/color] practical wisdom and understanding' ;)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432555268' post='2782557']

[/quote]

True.

Anyhow, if I can wash up on a desert island with a bass, so can a polar bear.

(Presumably its bass would be Arctic White?)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1432555905' post='2782574']
It may be one of those rare situations where the OED might not be as useful as it would normally be...

How about this from the (admittedly less prestigious) Chambers Dictionary:

[b][color=#0000cd]'common sense[/color][/b] [color=#ff0000][i]noun[/i][/color] practical wisdom and understanding' ;)
[/quote]

or this, from the Urban Dictionary...

[color=#800080]Deadpan...[/color]
[color=#800080]Dry humor with a blank expressionless face. This type of humor is common among shy and socially indifferent people. Includes other elements of humor ranging from shy humor, sarcastic even macabre humor and other personal characteristics which makes it unique to the individual. Deadpan humor is one of the most complex and to many enigmatic comedy styles as only a select few truly understand it enough to appreciate it for it's brilliance. :mellow:[/color]

One may appreciate or not the unwanted apostrophe near the end. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432556795' post='2782584']
[color=#000000]Deadpan humor is one of the most complex and to many enigmatic comedy styles as only a select few truly understand it...[/color]
[/quote]

:mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432556571' post='2782579']
'Desert' just means 'deserted'. It doesn't mean it's tropical. Antarctica is the world's biggest desert.
[/quote]

From the Oxford: '[i]a large area of land that has very little water and very few plants growing on it. Many deserts are covered by sand[/i].'

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1432556954' post='2782591']
From the Oxford: '[i]a large area of land that has very little water and very few plants growing on it. Many deserts are covered by sand[/i].'
[/quote]

Many, but not all. :P

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432556795' post='2782584']
or this, from the Urban Dictionary...

[color=#800080]Deadpan...[/color]
[color=#800080]Dry humor with a blank expressionless face. This type of humor is common among shy and socially indifferent people. Includes other elements of humor ranging from shy humor, sarcastic even macabre humor and other personal characteristics which makes it unique to the individual. Deadpan humor is one of the most complex and to many enigmatic comedy styles as only a select few truly understand it enough to appreciate it for it's brilliance. :mellow:[/color]
[/quote]

Noted with thanks (although I'd be inclined to entertain a degree of suspicion towards any publication that can't spel 'humour'....).

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1432557426' post='2782601']
Would this be a bad time to mention that Polar bears don't live in the Antarctic?
[/quote]

Not at all and while you're on, you can mention that penguins don't live in the Arctic too - in case anyone gets any ideas.

Where we live is well out into 'the sticks', with few and distant neighbours, so (nearly..!) counts as deserted already..! My 'forever' bass would be my Hofner Verithin, in all circumstances. The fretless would p*** me off too often, the Cort 5er is too heavy for my, now frail, shoulders for long, and the baritone doesn't count, does it..? I don't even need an amp with the Verithin; bonus..! B)
I take it that my drums have, by miracle, already been washed up safely above the tide-line..? :D