Why become a member? ×

Lakland NBD! Now with pics!

geoham

Some of you may remember my thread on here about a month ago saying that for about the first time in my life I wanted a 'modern' bass - basically something active that sounds good with roundwound strings, to compliment my flatound equipped P & J. I almost settled on just buying another MIM Jazz, but after much research, I decided to push the boat out a bit further and decided to buy a Lakland 55-01. At £700, it's an expensive bass for me!

I've really wanted to play a five string for some time (been playing 4 strings for 20 years!). It's my second attempt at this - last one was an Ibanez Soundgear, which had a nice sound, but I couldn't handle the tight string spacing or floppy B string. The Lakland addresses both of these, so I'm determined to make it work out this time!

One wee question for anyone who already owns one - does the extra inch of neck have any impact on getting in to a standard gig bag or case?

Thanks,

George

Edited by geoham

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1432490765' post='2781995']
It's being delivered on Tuesday...
[/quote]

That's no excuse for not posting pics of it! :D Mm, vintage cream and maple - liking it a lot.
Just had a look at the spec... Bartolinis, Hipshot Ultralites... a lot of bass for the money.

Edited by discreet

Wow, I didn't know these came in white. Very nice.
My first Lakland was a 55-01, boring black and rosewood. I'd never heard of Lakland before going to the Bass Centre one day looking for a 5 string and seeing a large stand full of 55-01's. I was prepared to spend a lot more on a 5 string, but the 55-01 won out very quickly.
The necks are really comfortable and I never noticed the extra inch in length. It fits a standard Fender sized gig bag, due to the short 3 -2 headstock.
I did change the pre amp on mine, but to be honest I never really noticed much difference.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1432676237' post='2783944']
That looks lovely, really understated. The vintage white looks great with the maple board. Tell me it's great... mine arrives tomorrow!
[/quote]
It's great! Can't wait to get it out to a rehearsal to properly try it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432679176' post='2783965']
Is it creamier in real life? Looks whiter in your pics than in the vid. Either way it's very nice. :)
[/quote]
I'd say the video is probably closer to the actual colour. Camera phones, eh?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1432677058' post='2783951']
Wow, I didn't know these came in white. Very nice. [/quote]
I believe it's just been introduced recently. Looks awesome next to my black / black / rosewood Precision!