Why become a member? ×

Disrespect

blue

we played at a wedding last night and while we were packing up some pisshead came over and said "not to bad considering your stuffs f**king rubbish.ive never heard of genz benz and i now my stuffwhat you need is a marshall like your guitar man"

Edited by bobbytodd

Playing second fiddle to Skysports channel is my issue .

Arriving at the pub at 8:00pm for a 9:00pm start , the landlord mooches over and says " can you guys start playing at 10:30 pm after the Rugby has finished .

Did another duo gig when the World Cup was on , I think East Timor was playing Yemen ( two really strong contenders ,or such like ) and the Landlord refuse to turn the TV off , and we played the whole gig with a widescreen TV just above our heads . It was like playing to a bunch of Zombies , no eye contact at all .

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1432579028' post='2782965']
Playing second fiddle to Skysports channel is my issue .

Arriving at the pub at 8:00pm for a 9:00pm start , the landlord mooches over and says " can you guys start playing at 10:30 pm after the Rugby has finished .

Did another duo gig when the World Cup was on , I think East Timor was playing Yemen ( two really strong contenders ,or such like ) and the Landlord refuse to turn the TV off , and we played the whole gig with a widescreen TV just above our heads . It was like playing to a bunch of Zombies , no eye contact at all .
[/quote]

If we find out there's a major sporting event being televised at a pub after we've been booked we'll call the owner and reschedule for another date.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1432550156' post='2782490']
Everyone is going to have an opinion - I've met musicians and non-musicians who pour scorn loudly in an "all modern music is utter crap" manner, so it isn't really a suprise that some people are going to be of the opinion that "all old music is crap".

We've been here already many times, with each new generation regarding previous generations "cool" music as being irrelevant and deeply uncool. Whether you stick to your guns or change what you do to suit the times you'll never please everyone, so the only sensible option IMHO is to quit bitching and get on with it.

Art is supposed to provoke an emotional reaction - I would prefer someone to love or hate what I do than be indifferent.
[/quote]

No bitching from me, it's innapropriate, however it's also easy to ignore people that show up at clubs with no class.

Blue

We tend to check out the pubs before hand , but both pubs in question are not really " Sports bars " as they are sometimes known .
One is actually the best music pub in the area , the landlord just happens to like Rugby ( as we found out when setting up our gear )

Drunks we can handle , we have a pair of Peavey floor wedges which seems to take out most of the flailing drunkard dancers , we all know Peavey gear is indestructible !!!

My band played a bar in Nottingham in October last year. Two people who we have on video dancing to the first song of the night, later assaulted two of us, tried to steal some equipment, damaged my car and one exposed himself and worse. This one is expected to be going down for considerable time when he is sentenced on Fri 5/6. the other hasn't yet been identified.

We were only trying to entertain people and did a good job in difficult circumstances. When we arrived the bar manager said sorry we've double booked, we're showing the boxing tonight. Some of my band had travelled considerable distance. They said can we play after the boxing is over.

We will never play there again or any other sports bar, that is showing a big event before us.
I think this show massive disrespect from the venue and they did not do enough to secure the band's safe departure.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1432460417' post='2781571']
Nowadays on the punk scene the audience have great respect for the bands (or at least it seems that way), and if anyone gets out of order they generally police it themselves before any bouncers need to intervene. Strange that really, the so-called anti-establishment music has evolved into a very respectful scene, where although they may look a bit intimidating, the audiences are probably the friendliest I`ve ever played to - unlike doing covers in a regular pub which is where the idiots seem to come in.
[/quote]

This is 110% my experience too, no kn*bheads cos we're all here for the same thing :)

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1432579028' post='2782965']
[/quote]

I once watched a band play underneath a vast telly showing, unbeknownst to the band, a documentary on Hitler and the Third Reich. A sub-par Oasis cover band playing to the backdrop of the Nazi rallies was quite a sight. The band obviously wondered why the audience was in hysterics and demanded the TV to be turned off.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1432585372' post='2783079']
My band played a bar in Nottingham in October last year. Two people who we have on video dancing to the first song of the night, later assaulted two of us, tried to steal some equipment, damaged my car and one exposed himself and worse. This one is expected to be going down for considerable time when he is sentenced on Fri 5/6. the other hasn't yet been identified.

We were only trying to entertain people and did a good job in difficult circumstances. When we arrived the bar manager said sorry we've double booked, we're showing the boxing tonight. Some of my band had travelled considerable distance. They said can we play after the boxing is over.

We will never play there again or any other sports bar, that is showing a big event before us.
I think this show massive disrespect from the venue and they did not do enough to secure the band's safe departure.
[/quote]

That's terrible...

I think the "respect for an art form" thing is a load of guff, but respect for you as a person should be a given. No-one should have to fear for the safety of themselves or their gear.

Not disrespect in the way Blue is on about but having drunk people falling into you as you are playing is pretty annoying.
I mean, if it happens once, no problem. Accidents happen.
But last gig a lady full on stacked it into me mid song, i zero'd my volume and picled her up, then came back in.
Instead of moving back a little, or somewhere else all togeher, she kept on dancing right infront of me. I had to move the position if my bass so i was playing it like a Cello she was so close.
She proceeded to bump and knock me for the rest of the set. Super annoying. Not the firsty time it happened either!
When there is a whole dancefloor to choose from, why stand that close?!?! Might set myself up an electric fence from now on.

There is another issue at stake here, something that is hard to talk about without offending people; I am talking about respect for the music. Now I understand that I am on seriously dodgy ground here but, some years ago, a drummer friend and I decided we needed to start a Jazz venture locally so we could bring some decent quality Jazz to the area. We found a sympathetic landlord etc and set up our little thing here www.jazzeast.vpweb.co.uk

The reason I am posting this in this thread was to explain [i]why[/i] we did it. There were/are a massive number of acts/bands/artists in our area who were listed as or presenting themselves as 'Jazz' at a time when 'Jazz' has little or no media presence. We were aware that. locally, there were a growing number of these 'Jazz' acts/bands/artists and venues putting on 'Jazz' acts/bands/artists that had no idea what 'Jazz' was and was not and certainly struggled to actually [i]play[/i] it. I am not splitting hairs over semantics here; the stuff that was being presented was both poorly produced, poorly presented and VERY poorly played (try a Jazz sextet that used a drum machine that just went tsss, ut tu tssssss, ut tu tsssssss, ut tu tssssssss all night? Duos that comprise a singer and guitarist wearing a suit and using a 'Jazz' guitar whilst playing pop songs - it was even bad pop, never mind bad 'Jazz' - all first position chords, no concept of solo 'Jazz' guitar playing - just painful to watch). Now, we could have lived with that as there are always s*** bands etc but the problem was that these s*** so called 'Jazz' bands were the ONLY 'Jazz' bands available for audiences to hear and the absence of any credible alternatives meant that anyone who wanted to see/hear 'Jazz' for the first time was being presented with some pretty grim stuff and would have most likley been put off it for life (one musician friend reported saw audience members actually [i]laughing[/i] at the material being presented). One of my biggest gripes is people who sing songs from the Great American Songbook and call it 'Jazz'. They may be great songs that might even be sung quite well but that doesn't make them Jazz, just songs that are/may be associated with 'Jazz' artists like Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald etc. Some even use backing tapes, FFS. How can it be 'Jazz' with backing tapes and machines? I am not just being precious about my favourite genre and being all pretentious; the stuff I am discussing is just not 'Jazz' in any way shape or form.

I guess what I am saying is that, if anyone is going to put live music on, as a performer or as a venue, they should have sufficient respect for the music [i]and for the audience[/i] to ensure that what is presented has some degree of merit. Our view was that poorly presented 'Jazz', and this stuff was [i]poor[/i], was actually doling more [i]harm[/i] to the music than not having it available at all. We did something about it and are having some success but it's hard work fighting these bizarre Frankenjazzers!! :lol:

I know I am coming over as a Jazz nazi/snob but this stuff was grim, really grim (and they are still out there, s***ing on the music). :lol:

Having previously played in a function band for a number of years. I was constantly amazed at the lack of respect payed by the venue management to the band. Managers saying 'Oh you don't have drums do you. This venue isn't good for drums' - "Well you booked a band with drums".

The haven holiday camps were dreadful for it. The would constantly see the band as an inconvience, we were asked if we could pack down between sets as they usually do 'a game show on stage' at 10pm for 15 minutes. Being told to arrive for 4pm to set up and then having to spend ages hunting down someone to let us in. Years ago you would get accomodation paid and a breakfast. Then they gave you subsidised acommodation and a reduced price for breakfast and in recent years they expected the band to book accodomation at the standard rate with no discount on food.

Last summer on a holiday at one myself I saw Heatwave play a cracking set at a Haven with a phenomenal bass player only for the compare to be pretty rude that people could now get back to having fun as he cranked up YMCA out of the DJ booth. I just felt so embarassed that a band who had performed their socks off got treated in such a fashion.

Or the venue that had a DJ box taking up 2/3rds of the stage, when we asked to have some of the equipment moved so the 4 piece band they had hired could set up retorted "Well we had Rod Stewart last week and he didn't have a problem" said Rod Stewart was two chaps (one singer and a guitarist) with backing tracks.

Also go to agree Bilbo - backing tracks and Jazz is a dreadful combination, but the publics understand of the music is poor. Loads of weddings I've played have had a chap in suit doing a very mediocre sinatra impression over some stiff limping backing track with keyboard horns FFS and people lap it up. In terms of earning from a live music situation - one chap with some backing tracks is going to earn a lot more than a band and only people with interest in the music, which is the minority, will care.

Guest bassman7755

[quote]Having previously played in a function band for a number of years. I was constantly amazed at the lack of respect payed by the venue management to the band.[/quote]

I played a stint in a function band and to be honest being treated like hired help goes with the territory - you can expect the same level of "respect" as the caterers. Strictly an activity for those in it for the money (which I never was).

[quote]... the publics understand of the music is poor ...[/quote]

Thats true but they are very good at enjoying it. Music is throwaway entertainment for the vast majority of people and as a musician and therefore an entertainer you have to deal with that.

I agree you have to be thick skinned to do the function band lark. And I enjoyed it in the main. But some places just make it hard for you to do your job. Caterers would expect the kitchen to be opened in time for them to cook in and to have significant space and time to do their job in.

I love to entertain people regardless of musical knowledge, but was more making the point that backing track artists killed the jobbing live scene dead in pubs/clubs/holiday camps for most musicians. Many people will enjoy recorded music as much as live TBH. Its also happening in west end shows as well, which removes work for the dedicated pit bass players. The 'respect' for the jobbing musician is just not there in the way it was in the past, when they were necessary for live entertainment.

When I was gigging with a very talented boogie woogie piano player in the nineties he stated fees had stayed stagnant since the early eighties. He ended up doing most backing tracks and just did band gigs for the company every now and again. Can't really go out solo with a bass guitar though!

Playing in my Pink Floyd tribute I get lots of respect from both the venues and punters, who give lots of lovely compliments and great response from crowds. They've paid their money to enjoy the gig. Given the costs of running the show we don't make any money though! But I do enjoy it a lot more...

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1432464668' post='2781646']
In my (admittedly limited) experience, young audience members are fine and it's the older ones who have the confidence to be an asshole. Had several issues with drunken middle age blokes.
[/quote]

Me too. We are playing the pubs and there always seems to be one very pissed up 40-60 year old hell bent on annoying us. We had one a few gigs back sit down and try and play the drums whilst we were setting up then try and grab the mic on several occasion during the night. He got the "I'm going to nut you" look and scaled down his act to shouting and calling our singer Jesus.

My initial post was worded poorly.

This was not meant to be a dealing with drunks in pubs thread.

It was meant to be a punters in pubs telling us "you guys playing in live rock bands in pubs & bars are history and no longer relevent" thread.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432757919' post='2784749']
My initial post was worded poorly.

This was not meant to be a dealing with drunks in pubs thread.

It was meant to be a punters in pubs telling us "you guys playing in live rock bands in pubs & bars are history and no longer relevent" thread.

Blue
[/quote]

I thought 'Arthur Daley' and I were the only two people that still used the word 'punters' to describe the paying public :D

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1432759878' post='2784783']
I thought 'Arthur Daley' and I were the only two people that still used the word 'punters' to describe the paying public :D
[/quote]

I rather think that Blue caught that virus on this very forum..! He'll be spouting Cockney shortly, I wouldn't wonder... :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432761291' post='2784806']
I rather think that Blue caught that virus on this very forum..! He'll be spouting Cockney shortly, I wouldn't wonder... :lol:
[/quote]

Your right, I'm even starting to say pubs instead of bars.lol

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432443044' post='2781468']
Some of you over 60 guys remember the good old days when we were respected where ever we showed up to play.

Well, we all know for most of us that play pubs and bars, those days went bye bye decades ago. Now I think things are getting really bad for some of us.

Have any of you played places where some are so clueless to live music, people playing instruments that they're disrespectful and seem to be making a mockery of what we bar/pub players do.? You know, the drunk guy that gets up in a band members face while performing acting like an idiot.

If you have experienced this let's hear about it.

Blue
[/quote]

My favorite is the lady who comes up to the band and begins talking to one or more of the musicians, as if we were a radio with ears. On a recent gig, several times supposedly intelligent people (well, it was in a Congregational church hall in a college town) came up and attempted long conversations with our piano player. Of course, he didn't discourage them. But WTF are people thinking?

W.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1432769032' post='2784919']
My favorite is the lady who comes up to the band and begins talking to one or more of the musicians, as if we were a radio with ears. On a recent gig, several times supposedly intelligent people (well, it was in a Congregational church hall in a college town) came up and attempted long conversations with our piano player. Of course, he didn't discourage them. But WTF are people thinking?

W.
[/quote]

I have seen that happen to my band members. Me, I try not to make eye contact with people that look like they could be a problem.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1432767602' post='2784898']
Your right, I'm even starting to say pubs instead of bars.lol

Blue
[/quote]

Cor blimey guvnor, it wont do you any harm.
Not as long as you dont start speaking like Dick VanDyke anyroad.

Edited by BILL POSTERS