Why become a member? ×

Im not usually a Metal fan, but this is killer Megadeth.

bubinga5

I don't listen to much metal these days, but Peace Sells is still one of my all time favourite albums.

I was absolutely blown away the first time I listened to it, I'd never heard anything like it before. Megadeth were definitely my personal favourite out of the original 'Big 4' thrash bands.

Hi, big Megadeth fan here. My first gig was Megadeth at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1994. I lost interest after Youthanasia, but when I heard United Abominations I may have wet my pants. The lead guitarist's chair in Megadeth has had some stunning virtuosos over the years, Marty Friedman being my favourite.

I don't count Dave Ellefson among my bass influences but he's churned out some good stuff over the years.

Anyway, I...don't really have a point here. I just like Megadeth.

Big 'Deth fan here too...well, at least their early stuff. After that, it's hit and miss.

Peace Sells is my favorite. Absolutely love Chris Poland's guitar work. By the way, anyone who is a Chris Poland fan should check out OHM. He's more of a fusion player now. As a bonus, OHM features incredible bass work on a fretless 6 string by Robert Pagliari.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1431634160' post='2773544']
Great track. Not sure how anyone could hope to improve that mix either - except for maybe a little bump to Ellefson's track to make it rock even harder in the mix.
[/quote]

Pretty much every heavy metal album ever released could do with a bit more bass... Iron Maiden are one of the only bands that don't suffer from this, and that's only because Steve Harris is the man in charge!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1431634386' post='2773546']
Pretty much every heavy metal album ever released could do with a bit more bass... Iron Maiden are one of the only bands that don't suffer from this, and that's only because Steve Harris is the man in charge!
[/quote]

+1. If not a tweak of the level in the mix, then a more severe EQ of the guitars to let the bass roar.

That album is pretty much MegaDave's highpoint, very similar to 'BloodSugarSexMagic' By the Chillis.
The remaster is a complete hash, as is the remaster of the album which followed it 'Countdown To Extinction'.

My personal fave Megadeth track is Wake up Dead, which is more or less an instrumental with a bit of singing at either end, but the time changes and mixture of intricate lead guitar and just plain power are just intoxicating!!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1431674566' post='2773781']
Not a huge fan of this sort of stuff... Megadeath, Metallica etc. Always considered it to be more rock than metal.
[/quote]
That's interesting, may I be so bold as to ask how old you are, I was 16 when Master of Puppets came out and so thrash was in it's full on glory days era around that time, and compared to all the other metal around, like Maiden and Priest ( yes, i know there were much heavier bands like Venom and Voi Vod, but I'm talking BIG names) the new wave of Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth was METAL...!!!
After that of course, mainstream metal IMO got much heavier after the Pantera era, so maybe thats why you see these guys more as rock then metal? Just a thought, you may well be a real bad ass 85 year old of course....!!!!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1431677349' post='2773808']
That's interesting, may I be so bold as to ask how old you are, I was 16 when Master of Puppets came out and so thrash was in it's full on glory days era around that time, and compared to all the other metal around, like Maiden and Priest ( yes, i know there were much heavier bands like Venom and Voi Vod, but I'm talking BIG names) the new wave of Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth was METAL...!!!
After that of course, mainstream metal IMO got much heavier after the Pantera era, so maybe thats why you see these guys more as rock then metal? Just a thought, you may well be a real bad ass 85 year old of course....!!!!
[/quote]

You're pretty much spot on to be honest...

I listened to stuff like this and Metallica, Maiden etc when I was really young in the early 90s. By the time I played in my first bands around 95/96 mainstream metal bands like Pantera, Biohazard, Machine Head etc along with some of the better death metal stuff (At the gates etc.) had hit the scene and late 80s "metal" sounded to my ears very tame by comparisson.

Of course by todays standards pretty much all metal pre 2000 sounds like light rock :blink:

Not that I dislike Rock... far from it, there are very few geners I dislike, I just prefer my metal to sound heavy and full of energy, don't really see a place for cheesy gallops or guitar solos.

Cool, I guess in a way it's just an extension of the generations trying to have more extreme music than the previous one, even back to the Beatles and Elvis being viewed as somehow leading the youths astray!! I still love my metal, and always will, but find some shouty stuff a bit too much, but ther's so much more choice about now.....and we'll always have the 'classics' too.
I always remember the reaction of my mates dad, who got us into rock, he loved his Deep Purple etc, who were pretty heavy for the day, when we first saw on TOTP the video for Maidens Aces High, ( we were about 13/14),he walked out, saying it was just thrashy noise!!! Classic!!

Someone told me that some of the earlier albums had orchestration added when they were remastered.
I've not gone looking as the remastered stuff sounds bad anyway.

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament... will always be Thrash bands to me (but Suicidal Tendencies are a hardcore band)
The first Metallica album I bought was Ride the Lightning in 1985. As a fresh faced 12 year old I was buying Powerslave and the guy behind the counter shoved RtL in my hand, saying "pfft, dinosaur rock. Get into these guys"

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1431679050' post='2773832']
Cool, I guess in a way it's just an extension of the generations trying to have more extreme music than the previous one, even back to the Beatles and Elvis being viewed as somehow leading the youths astray!! I still love my metal, and always will, but find some shouty stuff a bit too much, but ther's so much more choice about now.....and we'll always have the 'classics' too.
I always remember the reaction of my mates dad, who got us into rock, he loved his Deep Purple etc, who were pretty heavy for the day, when we first saw on TOTP the video for Maidens Aces High, ( we were about 13/14),he walked out, saying it was just thrashy noise!!! Classic!!
[/quote]

Yeah it's definitely just a case of each generation regarding their music as the "pinnale" of a genre... even more so with metal as there are so many vastly different sub genres that are so different to each other it seems odd to even bring them under the same banner at all...

Plus I'm not exactly upto date with my metal knowledge having stopped listening to heavy music almost completely around 2003/2004. The stuff I like is probably now regarded as easy listening :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431679560' post='2773838']
The first Metallica album I bought was Ride the Lightning in 1985. As a fresh faced 12 year old I was buying Powerslave and the guy behind the counter shoved RtL in my hand, saying "pfft, dinosaur rock. Get into these guys"
[/quote]

I distinctly remember getting my parents to buy me Reign in Blood for my 12th birthday... they had to import it and everything.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1431679841' post='2773846']
I distinctly remember getting my parents to buy me Reign in Blood for my 12th birthday... they had to import it and everything.
[/quote]

My mate, who was 10 at the time, bought Hell Awaits and a picture disc of Show No Mercy when I bought Ride the Lightning.

I'm just listening to Killing is my Business, for the first time in years. It's much better than I remember.
Except I can't not sing Four Horsemen along to Mechanix...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1431679705' post='2773842']

Plus I'm not exactly upto date with my metal knowledge having stopped listening to heavy music almost completely around 2003/2004. The stuff I like is probably now regarded as easy listening :blink:
[/quote]
To be honest, I mostly listen to more prog stuff, like Porcupine Tree, Marillion etc and pop/rock stuff like Rival Sons......but don't tell anyone.....😉