Why become a member? ×

Female drum teacher wanted - Kingston, SW London

tedmanzie

Don't know if this is the right place for this but we are looking for a female drum tutor for our 10 year old daughter, so if you know of anyone please PM me their details!
Thanks
Ted

P.S. Just to add this isn't anything to do with 'men' . My daughter is already drawn to female artists (Jessie J, Beyonce etc) so I wanted to continue that if possible by finding a fellow female who could inspire her to beat the living daylights out of a kit!

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431367860' post='2770597']
I know a great drum tutor in New Malden. Do they really have to be a she?
[/quote]

Ditto- a friend of mine and world class drummer is in Kingston, just a bloke.... (Throughly top bloke too)

You will probably struggle to find one locally but there are drum female teachers across London. Lorraine Baker and Corrina Sylverster are both brilliant and were in London but have moved out Greenwich and Hertfordshire respectively. I don't know of any others.

There is another angle on this, however. Can I ask why the need for a female teacher? I understand the issues on one level but wonder what messages you are sending? Most teachers now have criminal record checks to prove they have no convictions etc. It's pretty tragic if the working assumption is that male teachers are a potential threat when, statistically, this is highly improbable?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1431421830' post='2771026']
You will probably struggle to find one locally but there are drum female teachers across London. Lorraine Baker and Corrina Sylverster are both brilliant and were in London but have moved out Greenwich and Hertfordshire respectively. I don't know of any others.

There is another angle on this, however. Can I ask why the need for a female teacher? I understand the issues on one level but wonder what messages you are sending? Most teachers now have criminal record checks to prove they have no convictions etc. It's pretty tragic if the working assumption is that male teachers are a potential threat when, statistically, this is highly improbable?
[/quote]

Sorry, I really should have made this clear in my post :blink: , it isn't anything to do with 'men' or a parent paranoia thing! I know that most drummers are men (most musicians?) and I really wanted to [i]inspire[/i] my daughter with a fellow female who could beat the living daylights out of the kit and then have fun teaching her how to do the same! We have been watching Meg White videos, and Metronomy videos. My daughter is already drawn to female artists (Jessie J, Beyonce etc) so I wanted to continue that if possible.

Sorry for any mixed messages!

No worries, mate. I have merged the two threads as I didn't see the longer one and missed your earlier explanation. Your points on why a female teacher are perfectly rational. Good luck with your search.

Is Evelyn Glennie in London? ;)

I know a great female bass teacher in Ham if she expresses any love for our instrument of choice , however through Rockshool @ who do stuff at airplaystudios in sunbury and tiffins in kingston ( [url="http://www.britishschoolofrock.co.uk/where-we-are/"]http://www.britishsc...k/where-we-are/[/url]) which might be a great way to expose her to some strong rock female role model's as they do from 8 to 18 I know they use [url="http://drummingteacher.net/tutor/kirsty-martin/"]http://drummingteach.../kirsty-martin/[/url] .

Good luck and hopefully see you as a family unit in a few years in the grey horse or the moot house ;-)

perhaps we should start a Kingston basschat splinter group

synth

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1431410783' post='2770905']
I thought a female teacher would be good inspiration and quite fun for our daughter, but I'm not 100% set on it.
I'll PM you chaps for your contacts, thanks :)
[/quote]

I know what you mean, I always like to point out female (guitar in this case) role models to my daughter like Lzzy Hale and Orianthi etc (her guitar teacher is indeed male and is superb). Emily Dolan Davies is featured in the two Darkness videos currently released on YouTube from the new album but has alas left the band for some undisclosed (but apparently mutually agreed and friendly) reason to be replaced by Rufus Taylor.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1431382694' post='2770817']
Ditto- a friend of mine and world class drummer is in Kingston, just a bloke.... (Throughly top bloke too)
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431367860' post='2770597']
I know a great drum tutor in New Malden. Do they really have to be a she?
[/quote]

If you chaps wouldn't mind sharing these gentlemen's details with me as well, my other half could be in the market for a new drum teacher fairly soon!

I live mere seconds from the old moot , and since they added Sierra Nevada to the draft its hard to say no to live music and great beer.

I'd be in there tomorrow if it wasn't the other half's birthday , we have dinner plans on the posher side of the river ;-) I've signed up my lot for the open Mic on a Thursday for a few week's we'll be crap but will hopefully have a laugh and it will help break the ice on new band jitters , you'll know us because of the singing drummer ;-) ( used to be the front man but only one who knew how)

I was in there on Sunday evening with my guitarist lurking at the back As is our custom. Arrived mid set and left pretty much when the band was packing away some good as far as i could tell original's.

I remember one called at the workhouse ?? I also remember we thought the harmonies that were being pulled off were very tidy indeed. some respectable chops from the lead but rhythm guitarist could probably turn up a touch. All in all very tight .

However ... sunglasses indoors at night Is a sin even for a guitarist ;-)

I actually think the moot house might try and take the crown from the grey horse , we have enough "dining experiences" in the greater Kingston area and while the stage/ performance area may be nowhere near as good as the grey horse. From a punter perspective i always thought the grey horse was a bit of a sh*te pub with a good venue attached to it.

Edited by synthaside

The grey horse - always been a bit like the qpr defence IMHO , living more on reputation than giving proper support to the bands playing there . Regarding the female drum situation ; if you see. a band with a female drummer, you could ask if she teaches? apart from that and Facebook , I have no idea. Good luck with the search

I really liked the Grey Horse pub, was one of the few 'pubs' left in Kingston. The main 'support' for the bands as far as I know was that they could play for free and keep all the takings if they decided to charge.

Anyway, thanks to this thread I have Sophie Alloway coming to give my daughter a lesson tomorrow eve. I have lots of other contacts too, female and male, who I may still contact so a massive THANK YOU to everyone who has been in touch. :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1431522183' post='2772176']
I really liked the Grey Horse pub, was one of the few 'pubs' left in Kingston. The main 'support' for the bands as far as I know was that they could play for free and keep all the takings if they decided to charge.

Anyway, thanks to this thread I have Sophie Alloway coming to give my daughter a lesson tomorrow eve. I have lots of other contacts too, female and male, who I may still contact so a massive THANK YOU to everyone who has been in touch. :)
[/quote]

I did a dep gig with her once, years ago. Doubt she'd remember me, but I can assure you she's a superb drummer!

I'm local. The wee ones school just sent out a details of a Kingston education service to find local music tuition. You just state age, instrument and they do the rest, I'll dig it out for you.

Haven't been in either of those pubs for years.... (Hermit dad)