Why become a member? ×

Why is everything suddenly "RARE"...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squire-Jazz-Bass-Rare-Bass-Plus-Extras-Inc-Pickups-Hardcase/131498594429?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D01c10884be2b413ca556508bea440c52%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D321628786263

Dont recall the VM70's Jazz being that rare.

No Squier is 'rare' - with the [i]possible [/i]exception of the early JV series. But as Fender make the most mass-produced bass guitar in history, any talk of rarity or scarcity is relative, really. My Hayman 4040 is 'rare', but my 76 P Bass is surely not.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1430478461' post='2761779']
:blush: I've got the rare word, in my ad for the Spector but only because I believe it is :D
Discreet told me, honest.
[/quote]

A non-LX Euro4 IS a rare bass - in the context of other Spector basses. :)

Aren't people just seeding the auction title with words that people search for ? A bit like when you see 'not Ampeg, not Trace Elliot, etc ' in the title for a bass amp auction to draw people in who have searched for those makes ?

It's sneaky !

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1430482337' post='2761842']
Aren't people just seeding the auction title with words that people search for ? A bit like when you see 'not Ampeg, not Trace Elliot, etc ' in the title for a bass amp auction to draw people in who have searched for those makes ?

It's sneaky !
[/quote]

It's a stroke of marketing genius, quite frankly. I have a bit of furniture to shift; I might seed the listing with "Not a teapot, nor fetish gear, nor a genuine lock of Herman Goerring's hair, nor a biscuit tin full of elephant droppings, nor a live badger in a Pringles tube." The possibilities for reaching out to niche demographics are almost limitless.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1430483467' post='2761877']
...not a teapot, nor fetish gear, nor a genuine lock of Herman Goerring's hair, nor a biscuit tin full of elephant droppings, nor a live badger in a Pringles tube...
[/quote]

That's a shame, you could have added a crate of vodka and a kilo of coke to that list and had yourself quite a party.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1430483467' post='2761877']
It's a stroke of marketing genius, quite frankly. I have a bit of furniture to shift; I might seed the listing with "Not a teapot, nor fetish gear, nor a genuine lock of Herman Goerring's hair, nor a biscuit tin full of elephant droppings, nor a live badger in a Pringles tube." The possibilities for reaching out to niche demographics are almost limitless.
[/quote]

Knock yourself out ! In fact, taking in discreet's suggestion you most likely could :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1430495190' post='2762070']
Rare? Huh!

It don't mean a t'ing if it ain't got dat "Vintage".

Rare & vintage, rare & vintage, go together like a ... like a ... like something that rhymes with "vintage".
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430495523' post='2762078']
Squinted? Appendage? Inches?
[/quote]

Rare and vintage, rare and vintage, falling off you like diseased appendage?

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1430500679' post='2762139']
Those rare Squires are highly sort after...
[/quote]

There's a Squier-specific forum! Gah!!
[url="http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/squier-bass-place/"]http://www.squier-talk.com/forum/squier-bass-place/[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430500594' post='2762138']
Phonetically they're identical... unless you pronounce it SKWEE-ER.
[/quote]

Although I have no problem pronouncing it correctly, I always read it as "Squeer".

How queer!

J.