Why become a member? ×

Jaguar Bass + Surf Green...

philw

All

I've long had serious, untreatable GAS for a Jaguar bodied bass (probably passive with two Jazz pups) in surf green. To my eyes this would combine Fender's best looking bass body with their coolest colour. The thing is though, it's a decidedly rare combination, so, excluding the idea of ordering, say, a Peterbuilt custom bass from scratch (which I'd love to do but can't afford right now), any suggestions for the most cost effective route to satisfy the GAS. I'm perfectly capable with a soldering iron and screwdriver so a self-build bitsa bass is feasible. Only thing I can't do is spray paint (which unfortunately is always the expensive bit).

Thinking caps on guys please...

Phil

Not quite a Jaguar, but a Jazzmaster Surf green body right here.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Bass=1&Body=2&Type=100&Path=Misc&i=BP1977#.VUIbWHl0zA4"]http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Bass=1&Body=2&Type=100&Path=Misc&i=BP1977#.VUIbWHl0zA4[/url]

Thanks for all the answers

Yeah I guess the easiest option is to respray a Squire VM Jag, but the respray actually makes it pretty expensive (who's the most cost-effective and/or best refinisher in the UK?). It'd be nice to find a previously loved VM Jag to donate its body.

I'm sure there must be a more cost effective route than that. That Warmouth Jazzmaster body is great but it'll be probably near £400 by the time it gets to me once you've added shipping, duty, VAT and the various handling charges the couriers like to add just 'cause they can.

I know I'm sounding like a cheapskate here, but dosh is tight at the moment :-)

P

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1430400320' post='2761034']
Thanks for all the answers

Yeah I guess the easiest option is to respray a Squire VM Jag, but the respray actually makes it pretty expensive (who's the most cost-effective and/or best refinisher in the UK?). It'd be nice to find a previously loved VM Jag to donate its body.

I'm sure there must be a more cost effective route than that. That Warmouth Jazzmaster body is great but it'll be probably near £400 by the time it gets to me once you've added shipping, duty, VAT and the various handling charges the couriers like to add just 'cause they can.

I know I'm sounding like a cheapskate here, but dosh is tight at the moment :-)

P
[/quote]

I think you're gonna have to respray it yourself at this rate. There never has been a Surf green production Jaguar bass body.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1430395832' post='2760974']
Not quite a Jaguar, but a Jazzmaster Surf green body right here.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Bass=1&Body=2&Type=100&Path=Misc&i=BP1977#.VUIbWHl0zA4"]http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Bass=1&Body=2&Type=100&Path=Misc&i=BP1977#.VUIbWHl0zA4[/url]
[/quote]
That's teally cool ! ;)

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1432909334' post='2786144']
I'm in exactly the same boat!

The Jag has been my workhorse, used every day for nearly a decade. In Hot Rod Red with the matching headstock (phworr)

But.... To have it in Daphne Blue.... Oh my...
[/quote] that's good to hear - the idea was one of my favourite - and then when they brought it out... it didn't have "amazing" reviews so I never picked one up... it's good to hear that they are "the one" for people.
mmmm silver glitter finished jaguar.... mmm

I'm sure folk are getting well bored with me showing my Squier VM Jag. This was second-hand in black. They can be picked up pretty cheaply second-hand (and some of the later models are even cheaper!) and are eminently refinishable. I veneered the top of this one and left the back natural but it's just as straightforward to spray-finish them:

Andy