Why become a member? ×

4ohm Lightweight & powerful carriable cab for small-mid gigs

DanH71

Hi recently bought a 4ohm 600W Genz Benz shuttle 6 and was looking at the neox/NX2-212Ts..

Thread here:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260497-cab-suggestions-to-compliment-genz-benz-shuttle-6/page__pid__2753440#entry2753440

However...I do not drive and as light as the Neox/NX2-212Ts possibly are they aren't really carriable to gigs using public transport (no car).

Does such a cab exist that could pull all or nearly all of the 600W of my GB head or does physics dictate having only more than one driver in a suffecient/optimum sized housing will permit this?

Would be for small/mid sized gigs and rehearsal.

I've seen high end stand alone faital drivers with huge power ratings but nothing so far off the shelf by a manufacturer..have I missed something?

Any recommendations/insights would be really helpful.

Cheers for the comments!

It's my lack of knowledge and understanding for sure but can't get my head around the fact that running 4ohms into a single driver would only be 10% louder than using a 8ohm cab of lesser power rating?...

I think the shuttle 6 provides 375W @ 8ohm and supposedly allows 600W @ 4 ohm..so isn't that a bigger potential than 10%? Or is that potential lost due to the fact that you are using only one driver even if it has say a 600/700W output rating?

My physics is rough around the edges; but in basic terms, in order to double your volume you need 10x the power.

600w isn't twice as loud as 300w. If you had two speaker cabs, both 1x12, one 4ohm and one 8ohm, I'm confident you'll not notice any difference. 8ohm cabs are useful because you can buy another in the future and then you will be louder because your speaker area will be increased.

Sadly not, I've never owned anything lightweight!

As well as TKS and Barefaced, which are well regarded on this forum, MarkBass, AER and Aguilar are also probably worth a look at.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable forumites will be along shortly with their thoughts!

I know, sin car isn't the best but I hope to learn.
For now I need a small lightweight no I can lug on/off buses and trains..

I understand some sacrifice is needed in power output, so if I could find a 300/400W single driver lightweight solution that would be great.

As always no simple answer, as who knows how far you'd have to lug it for any given gig.
If one of the band members were able to pick you up at the station/bus stop every time
and you could get a lift to the station at the start of your journey then I still think you could
think about gigging a quiet sort of gig with a cab that would weigh 25lbs or less, maybe, but how
loud or effective one of those would or could be is something you'd have to find out yourself.

I did a blues gig with a 210 and that was a struggle. The set-up got there in terms of volume
but it was a one -off and I would not look forward to doing so again, especially from a tone POV.

I haven't tried the others mentioned but, for sure, a Barefaced Midget weighs just 9kgs and you could carry one all day. Certainly it can be driven loud enough for rehearsals and smaller gigs. Quite mid orientated and aggressive little beast, too, but can be tamed with an eq.

Thanks JTUK.

If I'm mainly using DI at gigs and rehearsals arent crazy loud, can I not find a ultra light 8 ohm 15" /12" circa 300/400W cab that 'can' be easily lugged around without band mate favours?

Surely something on the market? Or do I ask too much!:)

I have a Genz neo 2x12 and whilst it is amazing and light, I wouldn't relish the thought of lagging it to gigs on buses. I was toying with the idea of an ashdown or markbass 2x10 before getting it but got this one as it fits in the car and pumps out some serious bass. If I were you if get a sansamp BDI and go through the desk.

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1429983061' post='2756957']If I'm mainly using DI at gigs and rehearsals arent crazy loud, can I not find a ultra light 8 ohm 15" /12" circa 300/400W cab that 'can' be easily lugged around without band mate favours?

Surely something on the market? Or do I ask too much!:)[/quote]

You're not asking too much - a Super Midget will do that just fine! I don't know of any other cab as small or light with comparable output.

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Midget.htm

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1429975711' post='2756884']
I know, sin car isn't the best but I hope to learn.
For now I need a small lightweight no I can lug on/off buses and trains..

I understand some sacrifice is needed in power output, so if I could find a 300/400W single driver lightweight solution that would be great.
[/quote] it's not the power in specs that are of interest- it's the amount of volume that the cab can give out with that power....

Thanks all for comments..

Have just been looking at the barefaced midget t before reading you suggestions and this 10kg cab is a definite contender. Don't know the super T but will read up.

Want some warm, jazz tones with the occasional boost on top end so not sure if they would deliver here. Guess it's about the EQ of the head of the cab is neutral (which I don't know if it is?).

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1429983061' post='2756957']
Thanks JTUK.

If I'm mainly using DI at gigs and rehearsals arent crazy loud, can I not find a ultra light 8 ohm 15" /12" circa 300/400W cab that 'can' be easily lugged around without band mate favours?

Surely something on the market? Or do I ask too much! :)
[/quote]

Again, I know I couldn't find one... but there are plenty of cabs which would
have a 300w rating but how usable you could make it, only you will know.
I've done gigs with single 112's and I wouldn't do them by choice ever again.
Even 10kgs or so... how far can you walk that..??
But since you will be on public transport, that is something you are going to
have to handle. 100 mtrs with a cab in 1 hand is bad news. Maybe you could
hook up on your back..?? but I'd be learning to drive ASAP.. ;)

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1429977026' post='2756899']
Thanks sgxas but is a 210 light enough to lug around on/off public transport?
[/quote]
Fair point. The 2x10 I had was just 19kgs (Markbass 2x10 combo), but maybe a little large for lugging about on public transport. The traveller 2x10 gets good reviews from the owners of them on here & it's much smaller & lighter.

I'd look at Alex's Super Midget though. If I ever get back to playing, I'd be considering a Barefaced cab.

I guess the best thing to do is to try as much as possible. Some people like to play loud and bassy which requires lots of power and/or speaker area and some people like a more mid-orientated sound and can get away with less power.

I used an 80w 1x10 combo for 100's of pub gigs and was perfectly happy with the volume and never had to push it hard. An efficient 1x10 cab such as the EBS Neo110 would be perfect for me, but you might prefer the spread of multiple speakers or something with a low frequency emphasis.

It's hard and takes a lot of time, money and experimentation to find something that works. Best of luck!

A first generation Barefaced Midget has got to be your best bet.

These cabs are very small and light, and using EQ they can get quite low and they are definately very loud.

I carry mine with ease for any distance you like. Bass in gig bag on my back, amp bag in one hand and cab in the other - it's a doddle. :)

They seem to be selling at about £400 now second hand.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead