Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40 Bristol/Bath area

sbrag

I've got real gas for a Peavey T40 at the moment but I've never played one. This is a hopeful request that there is a local (Bath/Bristol) bcer that has one that would let me have a try before i pull the trigger on one.

on paper they sound like everything id like but it'd like to try one first. If you can help out drop me a pm.

Thanks in advance
Steve

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1428869012' post='2745544']
Solid as a rock, heavy and brutish but some great sounds. I found I only ever used mine one pickup at a time though, it sounded too 'hollow' with both on at once for me.
[/quote]

I found the exact opposite, I always used it with all knobs turned up set to both pickups!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1428879143' post='2745657']
My sister lives in Bristol; I should be in the area in May, with any luck. Might be able to drop by with mine for an hour or two.
[/quote]
that would be fantastic. Thank you.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1428869012' post='2745544']
Solid as a rock, heavy and brutish but some great sounds. I found I only ever used mine one pickup at a time though, it sounded too 'hollow' with both on at once for me.
[/quote]
Isn't that out-of-phase? IIRC when I had one it had a toggle phase switch.
Very interesting tone control.. rather than just a treble bleed, it went from full tone single coil to treble-bled humbucker (or vice-versa - long time ago!). I got rid of the capacitors on mine, as those pickups sounded great either way full tone.

I loved mine in principle, but in practice it was way too heavy, and the massive range of tonal options made it fiddly to find the right sound, and frustrating to keep it/find it again. Lovely to play, though.

Great basses, but not for a fat, weak simpleton like me.

Jon.

They vary a lot! If you get a late 70s one they weigh a fair bit and the slab body might not be comfortable to some....mine is an '83 and with the comfortable body contour... not too heavy either!

Sound is fantastic, super high output, and they're very comfortable to play too :)

I see all the usual suspects on here, so may as well jump aboard.

There are differences between the earlier ones and the later ones.

If you can, try both.

Cocco has both.

Not that either one is better than the other - your preference may lean
one way, after you have had a go.

Any other questions, fire away!

:)

It's a bit of a read but if you want to know all about the T-40, go here:

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/peavey-t-40-and-t-60-begining.html"]http://flatericbassa...0-begining.html[/url]

Read and scroll down, when you get to the bottom, click on "newer posts" and it
will take you to the next part of the story.

Lots of info and pics - Chip Todd helped with compiling it.

Cheers. :)

Edited by FlatEric

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1428932041' post='2746038']
the other comment I've seen about them is toaster or non toaster pickups. is the much difference tonally or is it mostly aesthetics?
[/quote]

The blade pickups are meant to give a brighter sound with higher output. I've not played a toaster style one to compare but I can confirm that on mine the output is very hot! Similar to my basses that have Entwistle neodymium pickups in :D