Why become a member? ×

Interesting...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Neck-Acoustic-Electric-5-String-4-String-Bass-Guitar-yellow-with-Case-/191522562338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c97a26122"]Here's an interesting thing... [/url]
An acoustic bass guitar with two necks, one of them a four string bass and one a five string bass. I'm not entirely sure that the maker has thought this one through properly...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428488526' post='2741680']
If received wisdom from 5-string players is correct and there's nothing you can do on a four-string that you can't do on a five-string...
...my question would be, 'Why??' :blink:
[/quote]

Rounds and flats?

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1428536005' post='2742303']
Rounds and flats?
[/quote]

I've never found it necessary to change from rounds to flats in the course of the same song!
And the chances of ever having to do so with an acoustic bass...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428488526' post='2741680']
If received wisdom from 5-string players is correct and there's nothing you can do on a four-string that you can't do on a five-string...
...my question would be, 'Why??' :blink:
[/quote]

Different tunings?

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1428580864' post='2742607']
Different tunings?
[/quote]

Different tunings in the same song?

OK, I'm going to go right ahead and say this abomination is a bad idea, and any small advantages to be had from making it a doubleneck are going to be totally offest by its unwieldiness and huge weight. Expensive too, given the amount you'd have to spend on gym subscriptions just to pick the bloody thing up. It's as convenient as hundredweight of sh[size=3]l[/size]tty biscuits and about as easy to carry!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428581274' post='2742617']
OK, I'm going to go right ahead and say this abomination is a bad idea, and any small advantages to be had from making it a doubleneck are going to be totally offest by its unwieldiness and huge weight. Expensive too, given the amount you'd have to spend on gym subscriptions just to pick the bloody thing up. It's as convenient as hundredweight of sh[size=3]l[/size]tty biscuits and about as easy to carry!
[/quote]

Why do you think it's a huge weight?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428606485' post='2743020']
Well the shipping weight is 20lbs, so I'm guessing the actual guitar must be at least 12-14lbs.
[/quote]

You don't think that the case might account for some of that?

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You don't think that the case might account for some of that?[/font][/color][/quote]
I think the main problem is that a completely unnecessary neck accounts for some of it... Honestly, what were they thinking of? A five-string bass [i]already has four bass strings on it![/i] Why have a whole extra neck with the same four strings? Madness!

• 2 weeks later...

Pure insanity. Only way this came about was as a joke, a misunderstanding, or an extremely obscure need - Someone who needs BEADG and piccolo EADG tunings for an acoustic gig - or BEAD and say Drop C tuning or something like that. Rare on a bass, rarer still on an acoustic bass guitar.

It'd almost be worth having it to be able to hang it on a wall. Playing it . . . not so much I'd imagine, but you never can be 100% certain.