Why become a member? ×

Selling a Bass with Neck-Dive on Basschat

Grangur

Good day to you Ladies and Gentlemen of this Parish.

I've recently bought a bass on here. It's one that has passed through a few members' hands. It seems it simply "didn't gel" with a few folk. It has a problem that I was thinking I would deal with.

Most of the description was honest. The bit that seems to have skipped the attention of 3 folk in the writing of the selling description is the neck-dive.

Looking through the Feedback threads; those buyers that gave each other feedback after the transaction all gave good feedback.

I would think that when selling on BC to other members here, neck-dive is worthy of a mention. Am I over-picky here?

Hmm... I can't imagine [i]three[/i] BassChatters all telling a lie by omission. Possibly they didn't see neck-dive as being a problem in the first place. Is it a bass that is particularly known for neck-dive issues, i.e. a Thunderbird or some such? Is the neck-dive the problem you thought you could deal with, or is that another problem?

Edited by discreet

I have never had this issue with the few basses I have tried, however, for me the type of strap has a big impact on bass movement. I have one neoprene strap and a couple of suede backed straps. These are all rock solid, however, the one smooth leather strap I use allows the bass to move all over the place. Body shape and size may also have some impact. Being of very large persuasion, basses tend to sit quite tight on me.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1428228535' post='2739247']
...basses tend to sit quite tight on me.
[/quote]

Excellent euphemism! Not as cutting as 'no stranger to the pie-shop'.
I'm a 'larger gentleman' myself btw and therefore am allowed to say these things. :D

Edited by discreet

Thanks for the thoughts, Gents. The problem I was expecting to work on was electrical. The bass isn't to my knowledge a usual candidate for diving, but it's a brand known for a reasonable level of quality.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1428229042' post='2739259']
At this time I don't want to name and shame.
[/quote]

Woah there. That's a bit harsh, fella. I am one of those 3 - use of the search facility very quickly shows that - and don't like your implication that I ignored an issue with the bass in order to sell it on. In fact, I don't think I could have been more honest in my description of the bass when I listed it. Any neck dive was, as far as I am concerned, not worth mentioning as, for me, it ended up horizontal when I took my hands off it. Hardly an issue. Frankly I believe you should think twice before saying things like this in public.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1428229822' post='2739269']
A decent suede backed strap sorts out most neck divers imho so perhaps try that.
[/quote]

I may just do that. As others here have said, some folk are also more susceptible than others to experiencing it as a problem. Maybe others didn't notice an issue.

Loads of basses have 'neck dive'. Suede backed straps are the best solution I've found, lighter tuners if you want to go the whole hog. It's not really a quality control issue or anything to blame a seller about not disclosing beforehand.

I also find supporting the bass neck with your left hand whilst playing helps massively.

Edited by dannybuoy

Sorry, I can't quote on this phone. I think if the bass arrived with something hidden like a maxxed rod you'd have a fair point, but any dive is down to the design and is beyond the doings of a seller. Some basses are inherently divey and it's wide suede straps all round. I'm interested in what kind of bass it is? But lets not get personal with ex-owners.

To a degree one person's 'neck dive' is another's 'well balanced'.

I've owned basses I thought were neck heavy that other people have tried and proclaimed them to be just fine.

There is often an imbalance on lighter bodied basses. This is especially true of some Fenders where a really light body can cause the neck to feel, relatively, heavy.

For a lot of people this trade-off is acceptable because the overall light weight might be more important than 'perfect' balance.

As far as the bass is concerned, it is a bit of an oddity - a mid 80s limted run medium scale Overwater. Fairly lightweight but not massively so. Had I sorted the issue with the pickup (which I think is actually more about the bridge and string spacing) I would most likely have changed the tuners for light weight ones as has been suggested by a few posters to make it lighter overall but I didn't like the inherent tone and didn't consider it worthwhile for me to spend even more money on it.

As far as this post is concerned - naming names is irrelevant, it is so easy to find who is being talked about as I am sure the OP is totally aware. The first thing any of us is going to do is have a look at feedback and follow the chain, just to get the gossip. So I was horrified to see I was one of those being talked about. It all seems a bit snidey to me to have this kind of insinuation made - I'm certainly not keen on having my honesty questioned in a public forum as honesty is a value I hold dearly.