Why become a member? ×

5 String - not flavour of the month?

Bobthedog

I find the best way of helping people to move from a 4 string to a 5, is to get them to play it different from the start, it's not a 4 string with an extra string, that's the wrong way to think.

With that mindset the low B becomes nothing more than a long thumb rest, that can produce some low notes occasionally. It's a 5 string bass, a new instrument.

Stop playing the low E, play that note at the 5th fret on the B, play the low F, F# and G at the 6th, 7th and 8th frets, in other words move everything up 5 frets and down a string. Play everything around the middle of the bass, just to start with.

Playing any piece is obviously relative to the notes that come before or after. This is all just to help make the transition.

I read somewhere a very long time ago that because of the range of a 5-string it's a compromise sonically, ie. you either produce the sound of a low B well or the higher notes up the uncharted end. I'm sure EQing gets around this but it was an interesting theory.
I personally couldn't get on with mine. I have a 4-string B-E-A-D.
I agree with the idea of getting something different from playing the same note on different strings. And I love the sound of an E detuned to open D!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1428136206' post='2738297']I agree with the idea of getting something different from playing the same note on different strings. And I love the sound of an E detuned to open D![/quote]

I de-tune the E to D for a couple of songs that play significantly easier that way even though I [i]can[/i] play them without. Slither and Killing In the Name come to mind, Killing is simple enough to play either way but Slither flows much better played open drop-d. As we play the two back-to-back it's no issue.

Just need a hipshot extender on both B & E strings rather than just the B!

For me, the biggest benefit of the 5 over the 4 is playability when gigging. I find it easier to play across the guitar in the same hand position rather than having to play up and down the guitar to get the same range of notes. Only rarely do I play stuff needing to go below the E so the bottom end is not the real benefit for me. Since moving to my first 5 a few years ago I've never looked back. They look cooler than 4s too 😜

I've got a k5 and find it quite hard to play, but I think that's more down to the incredibly close string spacing rather than the extra string. It's a real problem for a sausage fingered bugger like me!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1428150998' post='2738516']
I've got a k5 and find it quite hard to play, but I think that's more down to the incredibly close string spacing rather than the extra string. It's a real problem for a sausage fingered bugger like me!
[/quote]

Finding a neck profile and string spacing that suits you is pretty critical for any bass - more so on a 5 (and I would assume 6).

I had a Thumb Bolt On 5-string and really hated the neck profile, the Z3 is prefect for me.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1427958918' post='2736208']
Found the offending article: [url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recordingmag.com%2Fresources%2FresourceDetail%2F134.html&ei=SOwcVb-mOs7aasyVgeAJ&usg=AFQjCNH8QCeluoHS81jBrbtS3RPE0LLajg&bvm=bv.89744112,d.d2s"]Taming the 5-String Bass : Recording Magazine[/url]
[/quote]

First he refers to the different timbre of the low B (although there's timbral change across all the strings, regardless of how many you have), then connects this with the notes below bottom E - what about the ones above bottom E?

Then he goes on about the structural differences between 4- and 5-strings - yes there are, but any timbral effects this will have will apply to all the strings.

And finally this

[QUOTE]If the tune you’re recording doesn’t make use of any of those notes on the B string, that lowest string is nothing but a liability. Or a status symbol. Or a thumb rest.[/QUOTE]

is unutterable bollocks. Looks like he's a bassist who doesn't understand the 5-string bass.

I was playing a Stingray at the time and I needed that string spacing on a 5...
and that ruled out a lot of basses..
One of the reasons I went to get one made... plus none of the 5's around at that time
convinced me.
Now I make sure I have 19mm at the bridge and a P.bass at the nut on a 5 str.

I don't like 5 strings at all.

The B string sounds dull and bloated and is pretty inaudible below a D. It's a big thick cable. Revolting. It has fundamental but very little harmonics. If you play from the E on the B string you lose all the taught quality of a 4 string.

Unlike bass synths that go below the E, bass guitars have [i]no resonance and no oscillator buzz.[/i] Bass guitar sounds lifeless and the notes unidentifiable in that range... and it cannot replicate a synth.

I'd advise any young bass player against a 5. And playing below the E is the [i]quickest way to give your playing no character[/i].

Instead, set your sound up properly and try going up an octave on a 4 string (Come together by the Beatles) ! You'll get more BASS. You need harmonics to hear the bass. That's the mistake people make with a 5 string.

You've played the wrong 5's then... there is no reason why the B string shouldn't be as focused as the E string and therefore
as balanced as the others. Well, there are plenty of reasons, but none that you should make you buy those basses.. IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428157867' post='2738613']
You've played the wrong 5's then... there is no reason why the B string shouldn't be as focused as the E string and therefore
as balanced as the others. Well, there are plenty of reasons, but none that you should make you buy those basses.. IMO.
[/quote]

I think the make of bass is immaterial.

Can you think of any well- known, distinctive bass lines played below an E on a bass guitar? I bet you can't...

Again, I'd advise any young bass player: [b]stick to 4 strings[/b]. Set up a nice full sound and go [b]up[/b] the octaves and play melodies and contrast that with lower notes from the E upwards. Leave the 5 stringers somewhere in the murk of their own B strings.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1428158186' post='2738617']
I think the make of bass is immaterial.

Can you think of any well- known, distinctive bass lines played below an E on a bass guitar? I bet you can't...
[/quote]

I'm sure I could...try Sledgehammer. I'm sure with a bit of time, I could come up with more.
Nathan East must be in there somewhere..

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1428158186' post='2738617']
[/quote]

[i]Another Brick in the Wall[/i] goes down to the D below low E.

EDIT: From your other posts, do I get the vague impression that you don't like 5-strings?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1428158694' post='2738629']
[i]Another Brick in the Wall[/i] goes down to the D below low E.

EDIT: From your other posts, do I get the vague impression that you don't like 5-strings?
[/quote]

Hahaha! I'm just trying to rescue all you 5 stringers. It appears I'm too late.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428159521' post='2738640']
+1 for you needing to try better 5 string basses.

Your description doesn't fit any 5 sting bass I've played or heard on record.
[/quote]

How about my other point then; can you name some distinctive, melodic bass lines played below an E?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1428159630' post='2738645']
Fantastic trolling Spoony! Utter bunkum but top effort.
[/quote]

Oh good grief, this isn't trolling! I'm trying to help, honest. It's an uphill struggle pointing out the obvious to other bass players ;-)