Why become a member? ×

New amp day..........spend my money for me.........

donslow

Hey all, the better half has done a very silly thing and given me free reign to spend £1000 on some new gear,

Firstly, I'm looking for an amp, I've been lusting after ampeg for too long now so that's gonna be the road I travel but........which one?!

Looking at the svt pro 7 because it'll have more power than I need realistically but plenty of headroom on tap

Also looking at an svt 4 pro for its all valvey goodness but the website has a few power ratings for it which I don't fully understand, can anyone shed some light on what it all means?!

Playing mostly blues and blues rock but I want it to be versatile enough to cover most bases with my precision bass

Also looking at cabs to match

Currently using a little mark II with a 4ohm cab setup

looking to buy used to get the most bang for buck

I intend this to be the last bass amp I buy so it's gotta be good and versatile

Suggestions please guys as I'm really stuck as to which one to get

Edited by donslow

Have read a lot of good things about the PRO-7, seems like it has a really good sound. I really like the Ampeg PF sound, the 500 had some issues but am yet to read anything bad about the 800. Cab-wise, well I`ve been knocked out by the Barefaced Super 12 that I use - it really does put out what goes in so to speak, no colouration, so with most of the Barefaced range you`d really get that Ampeg/Precision warmth coming through. Whatever cab you go for though, I`d recommend one with a tweeter - better to have it and not need it than the other way round.

Thanks for the 2 cents lozz certainly worth looking into barefaced as have also heard good things

Been looking at the pro 7 for quite some time now

I think really, what I'm after is just the classic ampeg / precision sound with plenty of power to spare, there are so many ampeg variations, as a first timer with no prior Ampeg experience as such, it's difficult to know where to look, will have a look into the pf800 also

I have owned a few Ampegs and would say the following:
Svt 2 pro- awesome but too heavy and unreliable, had two different ones cut out mid gig and got a hernia trying to move it.
Svt 4 pro- awful tone, hated it.
Svt 3 pro- like a smaller less powerful 2 pro, very reliable and loud. People say they're underpowered but I never found that.

You could however use your existing setup and buy a sansamp vt character pedal!! Not as much fun I know but sounds bloody close to an all valve Ampeg without all the negatives.

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1427915879' post='2735902']
Just to chip in, the SVT 4 isn't all valve. Has a valve in the preamp I believe, but not in the power section.

Nice amp though!
[/quote]

Excuse my idiocy here but how, if at all does it make a difference to the amp as a whole?

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1427916104' post='2735909']
I have owned a few Ampegs and would say the following:
Svt 2 pro- awesome but too heavy and unreliable, had two different ones cut out mid gig and got a hernia trying to move it.
Svt 4 pro- awful tone, hated it.
Svt 3 pro- like a smaller less powerful 2 pro, very reliable and loud. People say they're underpowered but I never found that.

You could however use your existing setup and buy a sansamp vt character pedal!! Not as much fun I know but sounds bloody close to an all valve Ampeg without all the negatives.
[/quote]

I had considered upgrading to the little mark 800 and adding either the catalinbread sft (front runner of the two) or the sansamp pedal and buying a decent cab setup (ampeg or otherwise) but then I'm thinking, since the cash is there, should I just get the real deal?!

Didn't imagine the choices would be so overwhelming hahaha

Have you considered an Ashdown at all? I have my CTM all valve head up for sale right now in the FS section if you're interested? (I know, shameless sales pitch, but I REALLY want the funds to blow on my new rig, something we can all relate too! ;) )

Billy Apple's SVT2 Pro for sale here is a cracking amp at a great price.

Best amp Ampeg make as far as I'm concerned.

Pair it with a used Ampeg 4x10 and you've got an amazing rig for your budget.

All a bit heavy of course but nothing really comes use if you're after that Ampeg sound :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427920525' post='2735978']

Best amp Ampeg make as far as I'm concerned.

Pair it with a used Ampeg 4x10 and you've got an amazing rig for your budget.

All a bit heavy of course but nothing really comes use if you're after that Ampeg sound :)
[/quote]

Just when I thought I had whittled it down to svt 7 pro or svt cl you go and throw that spanner at me hahaha

I assume loud but how loud would this likely get

For example is it playing the dog and duck unmiced volume halfway up loud or Wembley volume halfway up unmiced loud if you get my meaning?

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1427916537' post='2735919']
Excuse my idiocy here but how, if at all does it make a difference to the amp as a whole?
[/quote]

Many would argue it doesn't really. Solid state power sections can get quite nastily distorted [in a bad way] when pushed to their limits. Valve amps get nicely distorted and sound more harmonically richer/more full and alive/just better basically [imo] when pushed hard. I've had many versions of solid states and a fair few valve amps and much prefer valves. Best bet it go try and get to a decently stocked shop and try everything out. Good luck in your search!

Re the SVT 2PRO - I`ve used these as provided rigs and have to say they are awesome. I wouldn`t want to carry one though, but then I`m nearly 50 and have a bad back. If I were 20 years younger and fit I`d be all over amps like this myself. Good call from Molan.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1427920525' post='2735978']
[/quote]

Cheers Barrie :)

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1427921497' post='2735991']
Just when I thought I had whittled it down..

For example is it playing the dog and duck unmiced volume halfway up loud or Wembley volume halfway up unmiced loud if you get my meaning?
[/quote]

It does come with a volume knob, so you can turn things down. I've used mine in small pub gigs and larger venues. You can't escape the fact that the SVT Pro II is heavy, but you also can't escape the fact that it sounds the mutts. Where about's are you, you'd be welcome to try mine out?

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1427908704' post='2735793']
Also looking at an svt 4 pro for its all valvey goodness but the website has a few power ratings for it which I don't fully understand, can anyone shed some light on what it all means?!
[/quote]

There are two power amps, each delivering 300W into 8 ohms, or 490W into 4 ohm. You can use the 'bridged' output to give 900W into 8 ohms or 1200W into 4 ohms,

The thing with the SVT2 Pro (as opposed to the earlier 'non'-Pro) is that it had both a gain and volume control.

This means you can set up your core valve tone using the gain control and the pre-amp eq and then simply use volume to turn it up or down.

I never gigged mine but will always remember it as one of my favourite ever sounds at home volumes - although I have been known to play relatively loudly at home :)

I always think everyone should own a full valve pre and power amp at some stage in their lives just to experience the glorious tone from the pre-amp section and the sheer 'heft' of a valve power amp :)

I'd offer up the Aguiilar DB amps as in the same region as the SVT 2...IMO..and the Boogie 400, for that matter.
ALL, IME, produce maximum beans that you can only really appreciate when you use one in anger.

But... as much I rate them, I wouldn't be using one in a pub on a regular basis as the sound
goes right to the back of the room... Great, you say, but er, not really, as that 'throw' dominates all else
and you've blown the band sound..all for your own little jollies.
On stages, ...with a bit of room, no question, you should have one as THE option, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427961482' post='2736247']
But... as much I rate them, I wouldn't be using one in a pub on a regular basis as the sound
goes right to the back of the room... Great, you say, but er, not really, as that 'throw' dominates all else
On stages, ...with a bit of room, no question, you should have one as THE option, IMO.
[/quote]

Is this not more due to the choice of cabinet than the amp though? Does an amp actually have a dispersion pattern or "throw"?

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that - on reflection - it makes much sense... :huh:

Amps don't have throw and nor do cabs. The sound comes out of the speakers and it gets quieter as you get further away. If you hear louder spots or quieter spots in the room then that's due to reflections from walls reinforcing or cancelling the sound.

Cabs with better dispersion and/or more consistent frequency response will suffer less from room reflections and therefore exhibit more even loudness around the room. That's why 18" folded horns like Jaco's Acoustic 360 sound like they have throw - because the mids have very poor dispersion so are hard to hear up close whilst the lows are very peaky so will accentuate boundary effects.

Cabs with feeble lows which require you to stand in the nearfield (basically within a foot or two) will lose even more output as you move further from the cab because they're not able to fill the space with sound.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427961482' post='2736247']
I'd offer up the Aguiilar DB amps as in the same region as the SVT 2...IMO..and the Boogie 400, for that matter.
ALL, IME, produce maximum beans that you can only really appreciate when you use one in anger.

[/quote]

Not sure I agree with this. I used the SVT for gigs in pubs and all 'throw' was kept in check with the volume knob. I used it through my Purple Chilli 115 and it all balanced perfectly well with the band.