Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1428008421' post='2737085']

Indeed, and then put it into action.
(I am sure Lenny can accompany this with some of his Muse).
http://youtu.be/7Vqvq-f-UtU
[/quote]

I've been hacked!
Somehow my work-in-progress has been stolen!
All I had to add was the butt-tuba and cackling geese (chickens are soooo yesterday).

So this morning I sign up to the site with free clips to download some effects, then fire up Garageband on the Macbook to start work on this recording. Except Garageband no longer works now I'm using Yosemite. Options: Linux Mint & Audacity or Windows & Audacity or cubase (think I've a copy somewhere).

Poxy Apple software. And now poxy Apple hardware - the connection to my USB stick just failed as well (Apple USB port failure is very common).

Grump.

I am struggling at the moment .
Very untypically for me, I have the idea in my head and I can hear it , I have 'lyrics' written , but I really need a Russian male 300 voice choir VST if anyone knows one, preferably a free one :D

On the plus side , I now know a hell of a lot more about Napoleons exploits and European political geography around 1812 , it did seem very complicated for a tea-time kerfuffle .

oohh , the teatime kerfuffle shuffle , :o , no , no ............Hmmmmm :ph34r:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1428137558' post='2738315']
I have written my core piece, a kind of Adagio, but it has a few clinkers in it which I need to sort out before I transport to Cubase and start populating with Miroslav Philharmonik/Edirol samples. All a bit Gorecki!!
[/quote]

A few clinkers, you say..? Are you sure it's not hard core..? Try coke, that'll help, [s]peat[/s] Pete. You may already know, though, so this [s]wood[/s] would be coals to Newcastle ash far as novelty is concerned. Get blazing, fire up the keyboard; the challenge is hotting up. :)

Mine is going exceptionally well.... in my head. I just need to find a way of switching off the *epic music removal filter* located somewhere between my brain and hands now... have checked and it's definitely not an effects pedal.

James
:)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1427904805' post='2735737']

Bloomin' slave-drivers, you lot..! :( Here you are then; sorry for the delay. :blush:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/there-are-no-winners"]There are no winners ...[/url]
[/quote]
Awesome..... I like it a lot.

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1428142416' post='2738388']
Mine is going exceptionally well.... in my head. I just need to find a way of switching off the *epic music removal filter* located somewhere between my brain and hands now... have checked and it's definitely not an effects pedal.

James
[/quote]

This. :(

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1428181133' post='2738960']
Now I have to say, I'm coming to love windows 8 'plug & play'. Downloaded Audacity, connected a Zoom B2.1U to the laptop et voila, recording capability without faffing. It just worked. :)
[/quote]

I started with a zoom b2.1u , it does work , but I recall latency and monitoring issues made it a bit of a pain and vocals/ mics through it were patchy and the playback was odd , and the recording levels and the....................

I was on XP mind, but it got me started :D

[quote name='Bleat' timestamp='1428142416' post='2738388']

James
[/quote]
[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1428177851' post='2738922']
This. :(
[/quote]

Now I don't have that problem , I produce absolute masterpieces, time after time , full of epic music, effects and atmosphere. Of course , when my masterpieces hit your 'epic music removal filter ' they probably sound like heaps of crap , but then , its your filter , mine is just fine :D

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here is my entry for this month.[color=#333333]My interpretation of the image related to the idea that these soldiers were waiting for an attack from the enemy. I thought that 'the wait' would be felt very heavily by the people involved because they were surrounded by images of what would probably become of them; hence 'the wait' became 'The Weight'. I think the themes capture that idea[/color][/font]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/the-weight"]https://soundcloud.c...er-1/the-weight[/url]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1428195847' post='2739080']
I started with a zoom b2.1u , it does work , but I recall latency and monitoring issues made it a bit of a pain and vocals/ mics through it were patchy and the playback was odd , and the recording levels and the....................

I was on XP mind, but it got me started :D
[/quote]

Latency is huge - makes playthrough impossible, so I may record 'blind', which is not at all how I prefer to work.

It frustrated the hell out of me , but being a bit daft I persevered with it , worst mistake ( or at least one of them) I made . I then bought the little 2i2 and my recording life has been transformed , it just works , it still amazes me how simple the process has become , the composing and playing now take the time knowing that I can record it relatively straight-forwardly.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1428358213' post='2740619']
It frustrated the hell out of me , but being a bit daft I persevered with it , worst mistake ( or at least one of them) I made . I then bought the little 2i2 and my recording life has been transformed , it just works , it still amazes me how simple the process has become , the composing and playing now take the time knowing that I can record it relatively straight-forwardly.
[/quote]
I used a 2i2 for a while they are great bits of kit. I'm glad you found something that works. It makes all the difference, having the right gear.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1428358355' post='2740620']
I used a 2i2 for a while they are great bits of kit. I'm glad you found something that works. It makes all the difference, having the right gear.
[/quote]

Cheers , but it is spot on though , I have a habit of make do and mend , and sometimes it just gets in the way , don't get me wrong I will often find a way of doing something in an unorthadox way , but if you haven't used kit that just works, then I found I was just kidding myself and going backwards at the same time !

Back to the matter in hand , I have a folk song for you , the lyrics are printed with the description as my Russian is a touch rusty , it probably needed a Peter Ustinov VST to do them justice , but nevertheless I give you

https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/from-russia

I hope you enjoy

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1428360660' post='2740645']

Cheers , but it is spot on though , I have a habit of make do and mend , and sometimes it just gets in the way , don't get me wrong I will often find a way of doing something in an unorthadox way , but if you haven't used kit that just works, then I found I was just kidding myself and going backwards at the same time !

Back to the matter in hand , I have a folk song for you , the lyrics are printed with the description as my Russian is a touch rusty , it probably needed a Peter Ustinov VST to do them justice , but nevertheless I give you

https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/from-russia

I hope you enjoy
[/quote]
Very good. It scared me a little bit. Well done.

Hello everyone! I came across this board a few months ago, but have not really focused on creating something for it until now. Looking forward to participating. c:

I've been stalking all your responses for a few days, I have some stiff competition, haha!

I've been distracted over Easter with DIY and decorating duties... just checked in here and wow, some of you have been busy!

Good to see some new faces too. Welcome guys. These challenges are as addictive as chocolate Hobnobs... once you start, you can't stop :D