Why become a member? ×

Fender P ?

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1427897897' post='2735609']
Then they are a counterfeit product, you can have one or the other, not both.
[/quote]

If I had a Limelight, it would be because I chose to do so,
as they are not described as genuine!
Once again for the hard of understanding - no-one is attempting to sell them as the REAL thing!
(there's even a Limelight serial number on the back!)
This ebay fake is being described as the genuine article

If you wish to make a point,
please explain why you would choose not to help someone else who hasn't spotted this as a fake?
It's simple enough to report to ebay - it would take a few seconds of your time

Would you not expect someone else's help, if you were unwittingly about to make such a purchase?

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1427901289' post='2735672']
Fake Rick copy on as well, have John halls E-mail if you want to contact him to report it.
[/quote]

If it's being passed off as the real thing, just inform ebay....
I've no problem with copies -
were it not for them, most of us would never have been able to afford a bass in the first place
It's when people are trying to pass the thing off as the genuine article, and rip someone off I have a problem
If you're being told it's a copy - you have the choice to buy, or not....
and as someone with the knowledge and experience to spot a fake,
it's the right thing to do, to inform them

If I spot the Rick fake, being passed off as a genuine Rick, I can find John Hall's email myself....
but best to inform ebay first.....

I actually contacted the seller, because I tend to give some sellers the benefit of the doubt.

I pointed out to him that in my opinion, the bass is not a genuine Fender Precision.

Here is his reply:

[b] [b]"I am no expert so I would have no idea, my late father bought me this back in the early 80s"[/b][/b]

Personally, I think he really does have no idea.

I don't think he's deliberately trying to flog a fake. He doesn't buy or sell other musical gear, and like I said, the Letraset headstock decal wasn't applied anytime this millenium..

Thebrig - did you tell him it's being discussed on a bass forum, & we know what it actually is?

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1427928080' post='2736092']
I don't think he's deliberately trying to flog a fake. He doesn't buy or sell other musical gear, and like I said, the Letraset headstock decal wasn't applied anytime this millenium..

Thebrig - did you tell him it's being discussed on a bass forum, & we know what it actually is?

J.
[/quote]Yes I did, I sent him the link, but he can't access the eBay forum without being a member, I might copy and paste the posts and send them to him.
As I said earlier, I do actually believe he just didn't realise it is not the real deal.

Ok, bit of an update.

I have been in contact with the seller a number of times now, and I can assure you, he genuinely did not realise that it's not a genuine Fender.
He thanked me for pointing this out to him, and says he is going to contact eBay for advice as to what to do.

I did point out to him that although it's not a genuine Fender Precision, that's not to say it is not worth much, the fact that it almost falls into the vintage category, would mean that it might fetch a decent price, maybe not as much as what people have bid so far, but maybe £100 - £200 to a collector of old guitars.

I said that the important thing is not to call it a [b]Fender[/b], because that would be misleading and against eBay rules, but if he advertised it along the lines of:

"[b]70's or very early 80's Precision bass for sale[/b]" as the heading, he should be ok.

In the ad itself, he can go on to explain that it was purchased in the early 80's for him by his late father, and has been in the loft for many years, and although it has a [b]Fender[/b] logo on the bass, he doesn't believe it to be a genuine[b] Fender Precision[/b], that way he is not being dishonest about the bass, and it then puts the onus on the buyer to make a decision whether to bid for it or not.

I also pointed out that he said it was purchased in the early 80's, which would indicate that it couldn't have been manufactured in 1985/86 which the serial number indicates, and it also looks a bit older than it should do for a bass that has hardly been used, so maybe it could be a lot older than he thinks, maybe even early 70's? and I wondered if it was new or second hand when it was purchased for him?

Hope I have done the right thing and given him some decent advice, but if I have got anything wrong, or left anything out, then please let me know, because although he is not BC'er, and there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, I don't believe he is one of them.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1427969752' post='2736397']
^^^ Nice work!
[/quote]
What he said. :)

Although the listing's still up, unamended, and Ebay makes it very easy to cancel a listing before the final 24hrs. Not entirely convinced he's going to do anything about it.

If it's still unchanged this evening, I'll message him myself for a bit of reinforcement...

J.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1427973000' post='2736458']
So he now knows for sure it isn't genuine... yet he hasn't amended the listing or relisted it! :(
[/quote]To be fair to him, my last communication with him was just over a hour ago, and he was trying to get as much info about the bass as he can, I have sent him the posts from this thread, and he has taken them on board, so I think we should give the guy a chance, there are still two days to run on the auction, so no money will exchange hands before then anyway.

Maybe I'm just too naive and trusting, but I really do like to think that not all people who sells things on eBay are out to con people. :huh:

Latest from the seller:

[i]Cheers Brian, I will look into it try and find out some more info, because it's pretty upsetting to read comments like your some kind of scammer.[/i]
[i]I actually rung round a few music shops and they didn't seem interested, the advice I received was bang it on eBay with a £250 reserve and the people buying this kind of equipment will know what there buying, so it will find its own level.[/i]
[i]Thanks for the advice [/i]
[i]Ian.[/i]

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1428011675' post='2737150']
I hope not John but what a can of worms I've opened... I might buy it then stick a Poundland Decal on it & then start the bidding at £2.00 :D

Fair play to the seller for withdrawing it.
[/quote]

Yes, you did indeed open a can of worms
But good on you, otherwise some poor unsuspecting individual might have been ripped off

The very fact that it got to £350 demonstrates that some individuals couldn't spot it was a fake,
and it's quite worrying that ebay aren't interested, even when several people report an item

Well done Ghost Rider and thebrig....
I'm pleased the seller decided to pull it from ebay - he did the decent thing
I sincerely hope he or his late Dad weren't ripped off.....

Cheers Marc, I have contacted eBay in the past with suspected fakes but have no response so its like banging your head against a brick wall... As long as eBay get their cut on fees they don't appear to be bothered

+1 for thebrig as he seemed to get the ball rolling with the seller.

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1428397684' post='2740795']
Cheers Marc, I have contacted eBay in the past with suspected fakes but have no response so its like banging your head against a brick wall... As long as eBay get their cut on fees they don't appear to be bothered

+1 for thebrig as he seemed to get the ball rolling with the seller.
[/quote]Thanks Guys, just glad to help someone from getting ripped off, and also to stop possible eBay/legal action being taken out against the seller, who emailed me several times for information on the bass, he really didn't know that it was not the real thing.