Why become a member? ×

Sound quality at The Roundhouse - Chic

tedmanzie

I saw Chic at the Camden Roundhouse last night. It was fun, they got the place really rocking and they have THE tunes, but OMG! - the sound in that place is SO awful. Can they not do anything to improve it??

Standing perhaps 20ft from the stage it is no exaggeration to say I couldn't define ANYTHING below about 200hz. No kick drum, no bass. And I don't mean boomy, I mean just not there, completely lost in a mass of echo. If you've got no bass or kick in a disco band then what are you left with? At least they had the tunes to be able to rock the place with melody and vibe, if not the rhythm section.

We ended up near the bar at the back ( :D ) where at least the kick drum was now audible, even though it was the depth charge variety. Still no bass though. None at all. I could[i] just about[/i] hear it for 'Good Times' when all the other instruments dropped out.

I would really love to Chic in a decent venue I bet they would be amazing. :gas:

The roundhouse in all other respects is a great venue - atmosphere, uniqueness, nice staff, quick bars, good loos, easy to get to etc. I've been before twice and it was the exactly the same with regards to the terrible sound.

Edited by tedmanzie

Ive seen them 6 times, once at parklife in manchester was the worst sound ive ever experienced - right in front of the stage and couldn't even make out what song they were playing.

Warehouse project in manc, in the carpark under picadily station, however, was just phenomenal. That jerry barnes on bass is a monster when you can hear him trust me!

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1427024629' post='2724754']
Ive seen them 6 times, once at parklife in manchester was the worst sound ive ever experienced - right in front of the stage and couldn't even make out what song they were playing.[/quote]

Crikey that is poor! I should count myself lucky.

Can't say I've ever been impressed with the sound at Roundhouse for any gig I've been to.

I like the venue but maybe they need to hang some giant 'mushrooms' like that other round building that's acoustically challenged: Royal Albert Hall.

Maybe round buildings just don't lend themselves to good sound. Also it never seems loud enough, and this is from someone who hates over loud gigs.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1427034231' post='2724886']
Can't say I've ever been impressed with the sound at Roundhouse for any gig I've been to.

I like the venue but maybe they need to hang some giant 'mushrooms' like that other round building that's acoustically challenged: Royal Albert Hall.

Maybe round buildings just don't lend themselves to good sound. Also it never seems loud enough, and this is from someone who hates over loud gigs.
[/quote]

I once played a gig in the circular Chapter House within York Minster. The sound was just bouncing back in every direction. We were almost acoustic playing by the end. Afterwards we were told the Bishops had designed the building so they could all hear each other, no matter where in the room they were.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1427034231' post='2724886']

[/quote]

This, I'm sorry to say. Except for Deep Purple, they sounded great!
Experience has lead me to stand at the back for optimum sound.

• 8 years later...

I have vowed never to return to the roundhouse as the sound is so bad.

I’ve seen a dozen gigs there over a span of ten years or so and each and every one has been spoilt by a lack of definition,soundstage and clarity.

Nothing but a flat boomy wall of noise.

The venue needs a serious amount of attention to its accoustic capabilities.

Surely Computer modelling for damping treatment and sound traps needs to be done for it to be a worthy music venue.

Without a great sound,every other aspect of a live event is pointless…

Edited by SimonSteamyhead

I performed there in 2019. A friend at the front of the balcony said the sound was good, another on the floor said the contrary.

From the perspective of the stage it was very boomy. The stage is big holllow bass trap that hums to

the subs.