Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

I have no problem with using any of the shops in Denmark st (or the west end) as long as they have what i want in stock and its at a good price.
So thats Denmark st out of the picture for any tihng other than picks then.
As i live only about 20mins walk (and work about 10 mins) from there it used to be very handy in the past but in the last few years since i got back in to playing Bass ive noticed that you cant really get any of the good stuff there, it seems to be a lot of the mainstream Fenders, Yamaha's etc with very little choice.
Then again, the same was said about the Bass Centre in its last year or so.

Ah well, I didn't really expect to come back after a week and find that the world had changed, but I had vague hopes that Music Ground would have made at least SOME attempt to interact with their client base.

Opportunity comprehensively missed. Case closed.

Incidentally, +1 to CK's mention of The PA Centre. Really nice guys, very helpful, and fun to deal with too.

I don't anyone should abstain from the place until it's personal, I'm going on a jaunt around London on Saturday and I'll be going in there (to see what treatment I get as well as what basses they've got) so I'll make up my own mind. It's not as if it's going to be out of my way to have a wander around the shop when I'll be down Denmark St anyways.

Edited by Gamble

[quote name='bassman100' post='267223' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:33 PM']We would like to invite everyone who has posted a comment here to a real conversation regarding the issues they have raised. Our opening hours are 10am - 7pm monday to saturday and 11am - 5pm on sunday. We will be happy to dicuss these matters with you all and explain in detail the reasoning behind each of our policies. We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]Nearly two weeks on and the silence has become deafening. No follow-up at all. I suspect they reckon that if only 2 or 3 out of their 200,000 customers (590+ a day, yeah right) actually come into the shop to bitch, it means that only 2 or 3 people are actually dissatisfied.
Unfortunately I am not remotely surprised. Saddened, but not surprised.

[quote name='4000' post='274222' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:22 AM']Yes, she was very nice. :) Shame about the other pillocks though....[/quote]

yeah but she was the one who told me "this is a bass shop" when i asked for Chromes.
Still, i dont go in to shops for advice, i do my research first and normally just go in to get a price and if its good enough ill buy, dont care too much about the staff.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='274235' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:59 AM']yeah but she was the one who told me "this is a bass shop" when i asked for Chromes.
Still, i dont go in to shops for advice, i do my research first and normally just go in to get a price and if its good enough ill buy, dont care too much about the staff.[/quote]

I meant she was [i]niiiiice[/i]....although she was nice as well (if you get my drift). Always pleasant to me the few times I went in.

I just ignore most of the staff in typical guitar shops, most of them seem to know very little about bass gear (yes, i know it's supposed to be the Bass Cellar..). That's why whenever I do have a query or want some decent advice I go to the Bass Gallery. None better. Has to be said that these days I usually try and find out stuff beforehand, much like yourself.

[quote name='4000' post='274801' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:57 PM']I meant she was [i]niiiiice[/i]....although she was nice as well (if you get my drift). Always pleasant to me the few times I went in.

I just ignore most of the staff in typical guitar shops, most of them seem to know very little about bass gear (yes, i know it's supposed to be the Bass Cellar..). That's why whenever I do have a query or want some decent advice I go to the Bass Gallery. None better. Has to be said that these days I usually try and find out stuff beforehand, much like yourself.[/quote]

Dont get me wrong. She was very shweeeet, just made me laugh when she said that.

I agree, Alex really knows his stuff and has never tried to give me the hard sell, quite the opposite really.

I've been following this thread with some interest - I work around the corner from Denmark St and have spent a fair bit of time (and cash) in a few of its shops. A few months back I saw the handwritten sign on the till in the Bass Cellar that Mike mentioned - "Want a new bass? Got no cash? Don't waste our time". I didn't like the shop too much before then (although to my shame have bought two pretty nice basses from them over the years, a Yamaha TR6 II and a US Jazz) but on seeing this I vowed to never buy anything from them again, not even a plectrum.

Anyway, like many of you I've plenty of stories of bad experiences in the Bass Cellar, but last Friday I left work a little early and it was chucking it down, so rather than get soaked walking to the station thought I'd kill a few minutes to see if it stopped, and having worked my way through the other shops there was only one left and it was still raining....so I dropped in to see our mutual friends.

While we don't know whether they've read (or actually responded) to this thread, something seems to be getting through to them. The sign is gone, and the two guys who were in there were friendly, pretty helpful (changed a duff battery, offered to tweak the setup on a bass), let me try a load of things just out of interest and the whole thing wasn't bad at all. If that was the first time I'd been there I'd definitely be going back.

They've still got a way to go to make me break my vow over the sign on their till, but with this sort of feedback from the bass playing community there's a chance that they'll get better and learn to do it right....maybe they've started listening?

[quote name='Doozer' post='279304' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:07 PM']I've been following this thread with some interest - I work around the corner from Denmark St and have spent a fair bit of time (and cash) in a few of its shops. A few months back I saw the handwritten sign on the till in the Bass Cellar that Mike mentioned - "Want a new bass? Got no cash? Don't waste our time". I didn't like the shop too much before then (although to my shame have bought two pretty nice basses from them over the years, a Yamaha TR6 II and a US Jazz) but on seeing this I vowed to never buy anything from them again, not even a plectrum.

[b]Anyway, like many of you I've plenty of stories of bad experiences in the Bass Cellar, but last Friday I left work a little early and it was chucking it down, so rather than get soaked walking to the station thought I'd kill a few minutes to see if it stopped, and having worked my way through the other shops there was only one left and it was still raining....so I dropped in to see our mutual friends.[/b]

While we don't know whether they've read (or actually responded) to this thread, something seems to be getting through to them. The sign is gone, and the two guys who were in there were friendly, pretty helpful (changed a duff battery, offered to tweak the setup on a bass), let me try a load of things just out of interest and the whole thing wasn't bad at all. If that was the first time I'd been there I'd definitely be going back.

They've still got a way to go to make me break my vow over the sign on their till, but with this sort of feedback from the bass playing community there's a chance that they'll get better and learn to do it right....maybe they've started listening?[/quote]

Do you wear a nice suit for work?

[quote name='Doozer' post='279357' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:42 PM']Sometimes...although sometimes a not so nice one....[/quote]

Excuse my cynicism, but couldn’t this possibly be a case of good service for a well dressed city business man? I wonder what the service would have been like if you were wearing jeans and a t-shirt and were soaked through by the rain.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='279363' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:53 PM']Excuse my cynicism, but couldn’t this possibly be a case of good service for a well dressed city business man? I wonder what the service would have been like if you were wearing jeans and a t-shirt and were soaked through by the rain.[/quote]

I've had good service from them, been allowed to try anything I want out etc. Now, I am a city business man I guess, but I go in wearing jeans and t-shirts and I'm in m 20's.
Having said that I went to the gallery this weekend and that was something else....blows everything else out the water

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='279352' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:38 PM']Do you wear a nice suit for work?[/quote]

I've generally only been into the shops on Denmark Street when wearing a suit and it feels almost like Fawlty Towers - rude to any plebs and sycophantic to those that don't appear to be riff-raff...

The Gallery on the other hand are great however scruffy you are - I bet the Bass Cellar would ask for a deposit before letting you try the £10k Alembic I enjoyed up in Camden.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='279588' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:00 PM']I've generally only been into the shops on Denmark Street when wearing a suit and it feels almost like Fawlty Towers - rude to any plebs and sycophantic to those that don't appear to be riff-raff...

Alex[/quote]

Yeah, i was going to say that if you wear a suit your more likely to get patronised, going from being in the Denmark st shops when suited gents have gone in.

To be fair to the cellar though, 99.99% of the people in there have no intention of buying, just herds of scruffy kids with no money wanting to try out £1000 basses, I reckon after dunno 5 years of dealing with that day in day out I might put up a sign too.

[quote name='odub' post='279640' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:49 PM']To be fair to the cellar though, 99.99% of the people in there have no intention of buying, just herds of scruffy kids with no money wanting to try out £1000 basses, I reckon after dunno 5 years of dealing with that day in day out I might put up a sign too.[/quote]

How can you justify/qualify that? Have you read the rest of this thread?

[quote name='odub' post='279640' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:49 PM']To be fair to the cellar though, 99.99% of the people in there have no intention of buying, just herds of scruffy kids with no money wanting to try out £1000 basses, I reckon after dunno 5 years of dealing with that day in day out I might put up a sign too.[/quote]

Ive not seen many on the occasions ive been in there. Might be on Sats though, I only go in there during lunchtimes during the week.

Some of the best musicians I've known would fit the scruffy teenager/student look.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='279647' date='Sep 8 2008, 12:54 PM']How can you justify/qualify that? Have you read the rest of this thread?[/quote]

sigh yes I can't quantify it and yes I've read and commented in the rest of the thread, It's an opinion based on going down denmark street for the last 5 years.

Edited by odub

Well.....

I payed our chums in the Cellar a visit on Saturday with my good friend Peted and my sister. I was wearing either a hoody or a t-shirt and camo shorts, so I probably didn't look minted.
I don't believe we were greeted immediately apon entry (which I'm not really bothered about) as I think there was at least one other person at the counter already. We got to almost a whole lap of the shop before one of the guys in there asked if we wanted any help, we declined. After a little while I asked the same guy (quite tall, ear length curly hair) if I could try out the 2 p'up OLP Stingray they had in, probably one of the cheapest basses in the shop, but he obliged with a smile and as good a service as I expect from any shop. I played it for quite a while, Pete had a go, I got it back again, shop assistant asked if everything was OK. Yep thanks, kept playing.
Took it back to the front eventually, asked for the price and what the genuine MM version would set you back and had a quick chat about how good the OLP is for the money. Then I gave it the old "I'm goinna go have a think about it" which I'm sure they hate and would rather you were honest and left.

Got to admit, I was happy enough with the service. Sorry for not showing solidarity guys, but maybe they have started to take notice! I did hear that as most of Denmark St is owned by the same company the staff get moved around a bit, so perhaps they've moved the surly tossers out and split them up amonst the other shops. It was 2 chaps probably around their mid to late 20's working there this weekend, does that sound like new blood to anyone who's been visiting more recently?

Fingers crossed for a brighter future!

*although it was still rather pricey!*