Why become a member? ×

Music Pubs in Glasgow?

phil.c60

Hi All - my wife and I are going to Glasgow for the first time on the 7th of May for a few days, including Friday and Saturday night. As we are both (surprise surprise) keen on music and pubs I'm looking for any suggestions as to where we might go in search of entertainment. I know there are a few of you who post from that neck of the woods, and it might even be that one of you is playing somewhere that weekend! Our music tastes are quite varied but sadly no thrash/death metal or doom/stoner rock, thanks. We will be staying in central Glasgow near the station. Thanks in anticipation....
PS If this is considered to be in the wrong place, sorry!

There's a few good places... But depends on what live bands are playing.... I live in Edinburgh but places I go include :

Box, nice n sleazys, firewater, garage, king tuts...

Nearer central you have solid rock (not sure about live music) classic grand, cathouse. Maggie mays.

Hope that helps?

Yeah, plenty of venues around! The city centre is reasonably compact and most places will be within 10-15 minutes walk of where you are staying (or a few quid in a taxi!).

There's a leaflet produced monthly that lists local bands gigs, available online too. It lists gigs for many of the venues around town. http://www.gigguide.co.uk/Glasgow%20Listings/glasgowmonday.htm

A personal favourite venue is The Ferry (aka The Renfrew Ferry). It sits on the river Clyde - don't worry, it doesn't sail any more, just stays in the same place! I've played on it a few times myself, and been to several gigs. It's a few hundred capacity, so generally smaller acts and tributes. I've seen Andy Fairweather-Low, Steve Harley, and MacFloyd on it.

http://www.the-ferry.co.uk/

The Winchester Club on Ingram Street had a Big Band on Saturday afternoons - they used play in Lauder's Bar on Sauchiehall Street until Lauder's decided they would rather have more tables in the venue than one of the finest bands in the WoS. I'm not sure if they're still resident at the Winchester but they are definitely worth the walk to find out. They had a killer sax player.

Blackfriars in the Merchant City is a fantastic pub - great pub food & beer menu & atmosphere . If you like a good homemade burger/ fish n chips you won't be disappointed !!

It's very handy ( 10 minute walk from Buchanan Street station/ George Square ) & just round the corner from Guitar Guitar.

Music is always advertised in the pub (although i can't see anything on their website) I think there's a resident band ( the somethingorother Shakes) on a Thursday..

http://www.blackfriarsglasgow.com/

You have to visit guitar guitar in Glasgow . It's huge and well worth a gander. If you venture onto Great Western rd., you could pop into CC Music, which has a great bunch of guys working there. As for food, it's like any big city, lots to choose from. If you want music, why not check out the what's on gig guide? If your looking for something smaller and low key, the suggestions above have been really good. All the best mate and I hope you enjoy ;)

I've played in Blackfriars a good few times, Its normally late club nights though.

McChuills in the High St just at merchant city is usually good for live free music at the weekend. The quality of bands is usually top notch. The New Piccadillys were in there on Sat night for free. An amazing band.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1427473538' post='2730891']
Is 13th Note still going? Or is it under a new name now?
Many years ago I had a few drinks in the Cat Hoose when Motorhead were in, after they'd last played the Barrowlands.
[/quote]

Yep! Has a few problems from time to time.

Playing the note on the 30th next month!

CC Music.....think you might need to get the subway....same with Byres Road. Byres Road is a cool place I think, but maybe that's just me.
As said before...downtown Glasgow is pretty most a smallish area. There's a nae bad wee pub just up from Central Station that has bands in sometimes. Sorry canna remember the name of it.