Why become a member? ×

In praise of high-end gear...

ras52

It is a symbiotic relationship between the artist and her/his tools. There is no perfect instrument and no bass player ever made a great recording without a bass :lol: It is not about the musician or the instrument, it is about the musician AND the instrument, the goal is to achieve the perfect symbiosis. This can be achieved with cheap gear or expensive gear and is unlikley ever to be a consequence of just 'shopping'.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1426677372' post='2720557']
This can be achieved with cheap gear or expensive gear and is unlikley ever to be a consequence of just 'shopping'.
[/quote]

This. My current squeeze is a frankenbass that's been routed and tweaked over many months and now it plays like a dream (to me). Total cost of the whole thing is less than £200. Who'd have thought it?

I have to say that it really helps to calm the BC induced GAS every time I pick it up.

Interesting original OP but, in this instance, I actually don't agree :(

I am a very average photographer but a serious upgrade to my camera a few years ago produced significantly better pictures. Last year I upgraded again, same make of camera but a major revision model and my picture quality leapt forward again.

This has inspired me to take a lot more pictures and to spend more time working with my camera because I know I'm able to improve my results.

Relatively speaking I'm a better cook than a photographer and, again, an upgrade to my hob a few years ago really improved my cooking skills. It's a ceramic job that gives me way more control over temperature and on delicate things, like fish and seafood, it makes a huge difference compared to my previous one. This in turn has inspired me to cook more complex meals and use more interesting ingredients and, ultimately, has made me a better cook :)

So, in my household, higher end gear has made a significant improvement :D

Not sure the same can be said bout my bass playing though. . . :gas:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426683553' post='2720699']

Relatively speaking I'm a better cook than a photographer and, again, an upgrade to my hob a few years ago really improved my cooking skills.

[/quote]

I read this and realised my cooker cost twice as much as my bass. The fact I though that this might be an excuse to buy a more expensive bass probably tells you where I stand on the OP.

Would you mind giving me the details of the three cameras involved ?

I am soon to be upgrading and keen to see how various upgrades enhance picture quality potential weighted against the cost etc.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426683553' post='2720699']
Interesting original OP but, in this instance, I actually don't agree :(

I am a very average photographer but a serious upgrade to my camera a few years ago produced significantly better pictures. Last year I upgraded again, same make of camera but a major revision model and my picture quality leapt forward again.

This has inspired me to take a lot more pictures and to spend more time working with my camera because I know I'm able to improve my results.

Relatively speaking I'm a better cook than a photographer and, again, an upgrade to my hob a few years ago really improved my cooking skills. It's a ceramic job that gives me way more control over temperature and on delicate things, like fish and seafood, it makes a huge difference compared to my previous one. This in turn has inspired me to cook more complex meals and use more interesting ingredients and, ultimately, has made me a better cook :)

So, in my household, higher end gear has made a significant improvement :D

Not sure the same can be said bout my bass playing though. . . :gas:
[/quote]

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1426706068' post='2721143']
Would you mind giving me the details of the three cameras involved ?

I am soon to be upgrading and keen to see how various upgrades enhance picture quality potential weighted against the cost etc.
[/quote]

Original one was a Panasonic bridge type camera. Can't remember the exact model I'm afraid but it was about £225 - £250. We also had a little compact Panasonic with a Leica lens that took pretty good pictures. It's still kept in reserve. Also around the £250 mark when new.

Having got on with the brand we liked the idea of the micro 4/3 cameras so bought a G2. Great camera, lots of lens options (including some Leicas) and pretty cheap on the used market now.

Kept our eyes on the upgrades but didn't take the plunge until the G6 came out. Quite a few upgrades on this model and picture quality is noticeably better. It's not a super high-end SLR but I really like the combination of size, features and quality :)

by the way - I've said 'we' because the G2 & the G6 were both bought in pairs so my wife and I have one each & we swap lenses & spare batteries etc :)