Why become a member? ×

Dingwall preamp recommendations please

mikegatward

I had an Artec EXP installed in my ABZ5 replacing the tone pot, works surprisingly well considering they cost about £20. One way boosts mids but I can't say I like that very much but the other way it boosts treble/bass & I do quite like that setting (tho does add a little hiss on full). Pull up for passive & you bypass the active circuit, also a nice feature is passive mode still works when you take the 9v battery out :)

I've always preferred passive basses but since putting this in I've decided I'm gonna upgrade & put a John East BTB-01 in as I feel my ABZ deserves a higher quality tone circuit. I have no experience with this one but East preamps come highly regarded.

Hope this helps ...

Edited by sifi2112

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1426501218' post='2718458']
This seems to be a popular theme with dingwalls, I've seen a few threads like this.

Cracking build quality, playability etc but several people saying they sound a bit bland.
[/quote]

Yep, I tried mine both active and passive and could not get a sound I liked. I replaced it with an MTD 535 which is much better sounding and just as good to play IMHO.

Edited by PTB

I'm VERY happy with the tone of my passive ABZ6 and Super P5....but if I would have to add a preamp I'd be looking at Glockenklang, John East and maybe Aguilar first. The new Darkglass Tone Capsule also looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426506781' post='2718539']
What's wrong with the tone controls on your amp?
[/quote]

Depends on the amp and where the EQ is in the chain.

I had a passive ABZ5 and the output was a little low to get my amp sounding how I wanted. So it was more of a preamp drive issue than an EQ issue really. For me anyway.

If I ever change mine I'd put an East U-Retro in there. Cracking preamp. I've got a P-Tone pickup in my ABZ4, and it's a major tone upgrade IMHO, but I've left it passive, just as a change from my other main basses, which all have U-Retros in.

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1426500873' post='2718456']
I had an Artec EXP installed in my ABZ5 replacing the tone pot, works surprisingly well considering they cost about £20. One way boosts mids but I can't say I like that very much but the other way it boosts treble/bass & I do quite like that setting (tho does add a little hiss on full). Pull up for passive & you bypass the active circuit, also a nice feature is passive mode still works when you take the 9v battery out :)

I've always preferred passive basses but since putting this in I've decided I'm gonna upgrade & put a John East BTB-01 in as I feel my ABZ deserves a higher quality tone circuit. I have no experience with this one but East preamps come highly regarded.

Hope this helps ...
[/quote]
Let me know how you get on with that - are you going to do it yourself ?

I usually leave the soldering to a luthier in Leeds .. Fraser Callum he's great & very reasonable prices. I have done some soldering but depends on how expensive the bass is lol. I wont be doing it for a while tho as I've a limited budget & other things have priority ...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1426508632' post='2718568']
Depends on the amp and where the EQ is in the chain.

I had a passive ABZ5 and the output was a little low to get my amp sounding how I wanted. So it was more of a preamp drive issue than an EQ issue really. For me anyway.
[/quote]

I'd be just turning the input gain on my amp up to compensate.

I've owned three DWs and I personally never had a problem with the tone, through my genz amp it sounds incredible.

Is it actually the individual bass itself isn't right or is Dingwall just not for you? I love the fan frets at the lower frets and grin like an idiot as I'm playin them but I can't chord as easy as with parallel frets at the higher end so it doesn't work for me, obviously for different reasons than you.

This of course is only my humble opinion and input.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1426539776' post='2719175']
I've owned three DWs and I personally never had a problem with the tone, through my genz amp it sounds incredible.

Is it actually the individual bass itself isn't right or is Dingwall just not for you? I love the fan frets at the lower frets and grin like an idiot as I'm playin them but I can't chord as easy as with parallel frets at the higher end so it doesn't work for me, obviously for different reasons than you.

This of course is only my humble opinion and input.
[/quote]i love the bass in terms of its feel and playability. Will take up some of the suggestions, especially the use of the gain switch on the Streamliner I'm running at the moment

Mind you , that new East preamp is 15% off at the moment

[quote name='mikegatward' timestamp='1426541520' post='2719208']
i love the bass in terms of its feel and playability. Will take up some of the suggestions, especially the use of the gain switch on the Streamliner I'm running at the moment

Mind you , that new East preamp is 15% off at the moment
[/quote]

The East p retro I had on my ACG was a gem. Took a minute or two to get to grips with for quick adjustments on the hop but worth every penny. You wouldn't regret an investment in an East product.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1426524072' post='2718825']
At the time I had a Hartke LH500. No input gain control!
[/quote]

Though technically, the volume control on the LH500 IS actually the gain control - it's the master volume that's missing from the LH heads :)

I think the East preamps are wonderful - however I do have a Glock' pre in my AB1 and have to say it's brilliant - the 3 band version offers a great deal of scope. If you happened to have a three pickup Dingwall, I'd suggest my 'DV Switch' mod too which got a big thumbs up from Sheldon himself at LBGS. Very pleased about that!

• Like 1

Have a look at the new East Uni-Pre very customisable with internal trim pots and jumpers. Had one fitted to one of my basses for the London Show and it went down very well. Well worth a call to John to get the full details. Comes in 3/4/5 knob versions.

• 7 years later...
On 16/03/2015 at 22:49, Dood said:

I think the East preamps are wonderful - however I do have a Glock' pre in my AB1 and have to say it's brilliant - the 3 band version offers a great deal of scope. If you happened to have a three pickup Dingwall, I'd suggest my 'DV Switch' mod too which got a big thumbs up from Sheldon himself at LBGS. Very pleased about that!

Good  Morning, 

I don’t know if you will pick this up as it’s such an old thread. I am thinking of replacing the EMG pre that’s in my combustion would you be kind enough to let me know which Glock pre amp you recommend. I am not very knowledgeable in this area and will be grateful of the assistance. 

Many thanks.