Why become a member? ×

What to learn next?

Bilbo

Prompted by Nicko's 'Bad Band great bass player' thread, I wanted to raise something I have been ruminating over for some time (years, in fact).

When I started on electric bass (1980), I spent the first few years trying to get better and better, transcribing stuff, reading up on who the big guns were etc and trying to get my head around all the different techniques. I started as a rocker and it was Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee etc who initially floated my boat but, as time passed and music changed, guys like Stu Hamm appeared and I felt I had to explore two-handed tapping. I also heard some funk guys (proably Mark King but not exclusively) and felt that, in order to be a rounded player, I need to 'deal with' 'slap and pop' as it was called in those days.

35 years later, I play almost exclusively double bass (no electric bass gigs so far this year and only about three last year) but I still find my self talk occasionally turns my head towards slap. I hear guys play that stuff and think, albeit briefly, that I should 'deal with' it. know I can do it (I learned Jeff Berlin's 5G intro when I was younger without any problem as well as Stu Hamm's 'Country' thing) but time prevents any serious exploration of these techniques. Going back to Nicko's thread, however, the simple fact is that the techniques I am weak on (through lack of investment not lack of ability) are basically things I won't be using because, clever as they are, I don't like the music that is played using them. I am reluctant to buy a CD if the bass player plays electric; if he slaps, it can stay in the shop.

I guess I am saying that, when I started, I wanted to play everything that every bass player ever played; Teen Town, Silly Putty, Schooldays, Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy, Joe Frazier, Hot Water etc etc. Now, I just want to be able to play bass at standard where I can do my thing within a Jazz setting. A lot of time could be wasted learning things that, for me personally, amount to little more than party tricks.

I'm not technically brilliant at all. I would not be able to play anything particularly fast for example. This doesn't bother me at all, I can play what I want to play. Very occasionally I'll come up with a riff or a bassline which I have in my head, but I can't play, and this is pretty much the only time I force myself to practise over and over until I can do it

I suppose it makes sense for the "session" guys as they need to be able to do everything, and then obviously there are the uber-technical players who manage to make a living from impressing people. I like to watch them, but I would never want to be one!

I've 'dealt with' slap and pop by ignoring it completely. I don't feel the need to add it to my skill set, nor do I particularly like any music that includes it. Except for anything featuring Larry Graham, obviously. YMMV. :)

Edited by discreet

Also slightly different - having played only electric bass and having only started 5 or 6 years ago only now do I think I have reached a moderate standard (although others including may band mates say I'm too hard on myself. Still, I'd rather people were pleasantly surprised by my ability rather than mildly disappointed). I am a finger player, and though I've tried to learn to play with a pick I just don't like it so have never persevered (that may change!). Same with "slap and pop" - some of it sounds great, but I don't want to play it so I shall probably never learn (that won't change). My real issue is Double Bass. I bought one because I've always wanted one, it was near, and because it is a proper left handed instrument and was reasonably inexpensive. I can't play right handed as I have a dodgy left arm from an old motorcycle accident. I'v always wanted to play one, and had some introductory lessons to get me started, but was told that the difference in technique meant that initially my electric bass technique wold suffer especially regarding the 3rd finger on my fretting hand. As my EB "technique" such as it is was hard won, and I'm gigging and rehearsing regularly, I have been reluctant to pursue it as I don't want top go backwards (and we are all short of practice time what with work and other irritations) so my DB lurks in the sitting room on it's stand looking very nice but sort of reproaching me every day! Any thoughts, Bilbo?

Edited by phil.c60

I really wish i'd put much more effort into learning when i first started playing. I really have only amounted to a very rudimentary bass player and certainly not a musician. I suppose you're never too old to learn and i'm more than willing to put in some time and effort so perhaps i will still improve.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1426086373' post='2714200']
I really wish i'd put much more effort into learning when i first started playing. I really have only amounted to a very rudimentary bass player and certainly not a musician. I suppose you're never too old to learn and i'm more than will to put in some time and effort so perhaps i will still improve.
[/quote]

How far you progress in your career as a bass player doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how good a player you are. Not sure if this is likely to cheer you up a bit or depress your further, but there it is. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426086719' post='2714208']

How far you progress in your career as a bass player doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how good a player you are. Not sure if this is likely to cheer you up a bit or depress your further, but there it is. ;)
[/quote]

I don't really have too many aspirations to go on to great things as a musician but i would like to understand more about it. I'm more than happy in my little band with gigs now and again when we fancy it. I just need some structure to assist with practice and learning which i think would help me greatly :)

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1426085688' post='2714191']
but was told that the difference in technique meant that initially my electric bass technique wold suffer especially regarding the 3rd finger on my fretting hand.

Any thoughts, Bilbo?

[/quote]

They are different instruments. Treat them as such. Use double bass technique on the double bass and electric bass technique on the electric. I don't play electric for weeks and months at a time, only playing double bass, and it has no effect on my electric technique at all. I am not sure what your teacher was getting at. You can play 80% of the double bass repertoire with just your index finger. It won't make any difference to your electric.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1426083783' post='2714162']
When I started on electric bass (1980), I spent the first few years trying to get better and better, transcribing stuff, reading up on who the big guns were etc and ...,<edit> A lot of time could be wasted learning things that, for me personally, amount to little more than party tricks.
[/quote]

I think I understand what you mean, but for me, as well as playing 'more traditional' bass parts with my band 'party trick' bass parts are also a lot of fun outside of the band forum and as a player who just enjoys playing, I find the two are not mutually exclusive; the older I get the more party trick bass playing appeals to me.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

Looking at the musicians and compositions that you say influenced you in the past, the thing they all appear to have in common is that they each had a distinctive musical voice. That's probably what made them and the music they wrote and played so important to you.

Maybe now is the time to concentrate on developing and honing your own personal music voice?

My fishing skills are very low (around zero...), and I'm no good at alpinism. My knitting is woefully weak, too. One has to make choices; it is impossible to be good at everything. This goes for music, too, of course. I'll never be good on flugelhorn. One can hone a certain amount of skill, but one cannot master absolutely all techniques to the same degree of virtuosity. There's not enough time in a lifetime. It's only a case of choosing wisely, and sometimes changing tack. Where's the problem..?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1426083783' post='2714162']
I guess I am saying that, when I started, I wanted to play everything that every bass player ever played; Teen Town, Silly Putty, Schooldays, Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy, Joe Frazier, Hot Water etc etc. Now, I just want to be able to play bass at standard where I can do my thing within a Jazz setting. A lot of time could be wasted learning things that, for me personally, amount to little more than party tricks.
[/quote]

I learnt to play by learning (by ear) bass parts to songs by bands I loved. As soon as I got to a point where I felt my technique was good enough to allow me to do the things I wanted to do I stopped learning other peoples stuff altogether.

I never had any interest in learning to play all the standard bass players party pieces as I just couldn't see there was any point in doing so other than for purely "look what I can do" dick swinging reasons.

A lot of what is regarded by many players as "essential stuff to learn" is in styles of music I hate & would never ever want to play so the effort involved in learning them just so I could say I could play them seemed totally pointless.