Why become a member? ×

Ampeg LO or ULTRA LO switch - who uses it?

JapanAxe

Having cycled back from town this afternoon and left Mrs Axe to do some more shopping, I commandeered the living room and got out the rig I aim to use if I end up working with a new contemporary country/Americana outfit, namely:

'73P > Ampeg SVT3 Pro > Barefaced Compact

I have been really happy with the sound of the Ampeg when using my Sandberg and G&L, with a substantial boost on mid-position 1 (220Hz) and everything else flat. However the P has never quite sounded how I wanted it to (too much going on in the upper-mids), so I started playing along with some of the tracks I may be covering, at a volume Mrs Axe would not have appreciated had she been present. I tend to avoid boosting the bass frequencies, as doing so can leave notes on the G string sounding weak or 'stranded'. I tried various settings on the graphic, and then I tried the LO switch - blow me down if it didn't sound instantly better!

According to the manual, the LO switch has the following effects, depending which bit you read:[list]
[*]Main text: +2dB @ 40Hz, -10dB @ 500Hz
[*]Tech spec: +2.5dB @ 50Hz, -12db @ 560Hz, +1.5dB @ 5kHz
[/list]
It may do both (or all) of the above. I ended up rolling off a bit of bass too, and this got me closes to my preferred Streamliner sound (where I also give 220Hz a hefty boost).

I should know well enough to trust my ears more than my eyes, but I am quite surprised that this sounded so good. The boost at 220Hz is coupled with a scoop at 500-600Hz, which I guess explains how it manages to sound both fat and clear.

I also got quite close by disengaging LO, boosting the bass a notch, and rolling off some treble at the amp. Although the centre frequencies are given as 50Hz and 5kHz, the treble and bass controls are part of a passive tone stack, so they have quite a wide frequency range.

Having wibbled on about all that, what do other people do with their LO switch, and on which model Ampeg - on all the time, just for particular songs, avoid like the plague?

Over to you, fellow Basschatters...

Boosting the lows and cutting mids generally sounds good when you're playing solo, at home. One stage you really don't want all that low-frequency stuff sloshing around if your doing a gig with any kind of sizable PA with an engineer, it tends to muddy the waters somewhat. And you need those mids to be heard in the mix.

It's the old thing about your solo sound being unsuitable for use in a band, and vice-versa. :)

I've always considered low and high boost, contour and shape switches or any kind of pre-set EQ buttons to be a bit of a gimmick myself, though having said that I'm sure there are those who swear by them. Actually I swear by them too - I say, 'Who the feck pressed this bass boost button??' :D

But then I'm Old Skool me, I tend to plug straight in and set everything flat. Or 'flat', as it never really is. But you know what I mean. ;)

If you're having trouble making your P sound how you want it, may I suggest a change of strings before looking at your amp? If you're happy with everything but for the upper mids, this may make all the difference.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425139107' post='2704427']
Boosting the lows and cutting mids generally sounds good when you're playing solo, at home. One stage you really don't want all that low-frequency stuff sloshing around if your doing a gig with any kind of sizable PA with an engineer, it tends to muddy the waters somewhat. And you need those mids to be heard in the mix.

It's the old thing about your solo sound being unsuitable for use in a band, and vice-versa. :)

I've always considered low and high boost, contour and shape switches or any kind of pre-set EQ buttons to be a bit of a gimmick myself, though having said that I'm sure there are those who swear by them. Actually I swear by them too - I say, 'Who the feck pressed this bass boost button??' :D

But then I'm Old Skool me, I tend to plug straight in and set everything flat. Or 'flat', as it never really is. But you know what I mean. ;)

If you're having trouble making your P sound how you want it, may I suggest a change of strings before looking at your amp? If you're happy with everything but for the upper mids, this may make all the difference.
[/quote]

100% with you there on 'solo sound' and gimmicky switches. On the first point, that's why I played along with the CDs at volume rather than just playing solo. My default preference is for a hefty mid boost (no scooping on my watch), and don't worry, I will check my findings in a band setup.

I am probably due a new set of Chromes on my P - the low E is sounding a bit duff anyway.

EDIT: I should make clear that the P has always sounded great through my Streamliner, so the issue was setting up the Ampeg to suit it.

Edited by JapanAxe

In my band mix I have the mids at 3/4 trebble noon and bass at a quarter...... With only the ultra low engaged( not ultra high,it's awful) it's sounds awsome,kind of adds a layer of sweet compression to it as well as boost. I always found the secret to ampegs was boosting the mids :-)

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1425140904' post='2704446']
I should make clear that the P has always sounded great through my Streamliner, so the issue was setting up the Ampeg to suit it.
[/quote]

So is your Streamliner not cutting it, then? :) I suppose my question is, if you're getting a sound you like with it, what's the reasoning behind using the Ampeg instead?

Edited by discreet

For me ultra low is the ampeg sound. I always leave ultra low and ultra high engaged on my svp-pro. I also boost mids at 450Hz. Bass and High depends on the room I am playing in.

Most important, leave the graphic EQ off!

Edited by mSz

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425142016' post='2704454']
So is your Streamliner not cutting it, then? :) I suppose my question is, if you're getting a sound you like with it, what's the reasoning behind using the Ampeg instead?
[/quote]

Good point! No, the Streamliner very much cuts it, particularly for anything rocky. I favour the combination of Sandberg and Ampeg when I am playing functions as it produces a particularly sweet and chewy sound. For the Americana stuff I think the Precision has the right sound (and look), but we will likely be playing theatres (big time!), so my thinking was to use the Ampeg and take the Streamliner as a spare.

Thinking about it, the Streamliner also sounds great for country, so yes, why shouldn't I use it for Americana? *light bulb glows dimly, flares into brilliance, then burns out with a dull clink*

Well that's settled then!

I think a P Bass is perfect for that genre (particularly a 51-style) but as far as amps go... does anyone care? I imagined a Fender TV or other 'tweed'-type combo would be good, or even a Fender Bassman rig with all the chrome and silver cloth... but there are practical issues with both!

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1425142399' post='2704462']
For me ultra low is the ampeg sound. I always leave ultra low and ultra high engaged on my svp-pro. I also boost mids at 450Hz. Bass and High depends on the room I am playing in.

[/quote]

OK, interesting.

I can't be @rsed with the graphic either!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425143441' post='2704474']
I think a P Bass is perfect for that genre (particularly a 51-style) but as far as amps go... does anyone care? I imagined a Fender TV or other 'tweed'-type combo would be good, or even a Fender Bassman rig with all the chrome and silver cloth... but there are practical issues with both!
[/quote]

The audience won't care but I do! It's not like we'd be pretending to have come out of the 1950s, but looks do matter. Anyway my Compact has the lovely silver grille cloth :)

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1425141407' post='2704450']
In my band mix I have the mids at 3/4 trebble noon and bass at a quarter...... With only the ultra low engaged( not ultra high,it's awful) it's sounds awsome,kind of adds a layer of sweet compression to it as well as boost. I always found the secret to ampegs was boosting the mids :-)
[/quote]

That's spookily similar to how my settings ended up, albeit on a different model.

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1425142399' post='2704462']

[/quote]

Same here, I always had the Ultra Low engaged on my PF500 - sounded great, and no problems being heard in the mix, even with dead roundwound strings. Just kept all the rest of the eq set flat. Also did the same with my SVT 3PRO which I had for a while, and as you said, after messing about with the graphic trying to get a sound I liked, realised the sound I liked was with the graphic switched off.

Also used an SVT 2PRO last night, and again, had the Ultra Low engaged - did boost 4kHz on the graphic though, as need that clank/twang for wha I`m currently doing.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425147360' post='2704525']

Same here, I always had the Ultra Low engaged on my PF500 - sounded great, and no problems being heard in the mix, even with dead roundwound strings. Just kept all the rest of the eq set flat. Also did the same with my SVT 3PRO which I had for a while, and as you said, after messing about with the graphic trying to get a sound I liked, realised the sound I liked was with the graphic switched off.

Also used an SVT 2PRO last night, and again, had the Ultra Low engaged - did boost 4kHz on the graphic though, as need that clank/twang for wha I`m currently doing.
[/quote]

There's a pattern emerging here...

I don't use Ampeg and I've got +12db on the bass so my amps never has much bass on then..around about 12' o'clock..
but I don't set up the bass sound any different for any gig. I get it to sound good to me and I wouldn't contemplate
sending the engr a mix that he 'wants' to the determent on my playing sound.
I know he has more power than me off stage anyway..which is why we are using him.. so we just need to get my signal
along side his. Even if we play in a bit of a dustbin, I've never had problems with too much boom on stage..and I'll have my rig up
to a volume that the band can hear it and maybe with any additional help from the monitors..

I don't get or subscribe to the 'middy' duff solo sound ... if I play a solo sound I want it to sound good there as well...no question.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425200961' post='2704873']
The graphic on the SVT 3 pro is pretty awful anyway and best switched out..
One reason why I prefer the PF soundwise...
[/quote]

For me it's best used as an extra gain stage - set all frequencies flat and use the Level slider to get you another 10dB of gain if you run out on the Master control (the amp has the headroom to take it). Otherwise I would be quite happy to live without the graphic, 3 or 4 tone controls are all I need.

I never used them and graphic EQ on my 3pro. I never use them with my SVP pro preamp. They are just taking away the mid-magic that Ampeg ammps have. Just turning graphic eq on them can run the sound - too many transistors on the tube signal path.

Edited by mazdah

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1425250515' post='2705630']
Do I have this right? Both the lo switches on Ampeg amps boost frequencies below those reproduced by their classic 810 fridge cabs?
[/quote]

Yes and no. Just because a switch is described as, say, +12dB @ 50HZ, doesn't mean it has no effect at 39Hz or 41Hz. For example this circuit has an effect right up into the hundreds of Hz:

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1425250515' post='2705630']
Do I have this right? Both the lo switches on Ampeg amps boost frequencies below those reproduced by their classic 810 fridge cabs?
[/quote]

What do you mean? Fridge can go below 50hz, no problem. Lower frequencies are not that loud, but they are audible.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1426525327' post='2718860']
One more vote for the Ultra-Low in and boosting some of the mids using the midrange control.

Works for me on my SVP-Pro
[/quote]

Just out of interest, is that just for recording, or are you feeding the signal to a power amp and speaker on stage, or straight into the PA?