Why become a member? ×

Using an all valve guitar head for bass?

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1424725906' post='2699788']
I meant to say,of course, that they were Elgen 4x12" PA columns.
[/quote]

Yes, I got that. But I was thinking about a 4X12 or a 4X10 column format bass cab, as proposed by dood recently - you'd get a very small footprint but still have the advantages of an 8X10, i.e. having a driver at ear-level so you can hear yourself on stage.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424726201' post='2699793']
Yes, I got that. But I was thinking about a 4X12 or a 4X10 column format bass cab, as proposed by dood recently - you'd get a very small footprint but still have the advantages of an 8X10, i.e. having a driver at ear-level so you can hear yourself on stage.
[/quote]
Back in the early 70s I knew a bassist who played a Gibson EBO through a Laney 100 and two 1x18" cabs stacked. It was bassy and ear-level.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1424729237' post='2699863']
It's the H&H I'm referring to. His like a snake they do - all of 'em.
[/quote]

The HH combos might (a lot of 70s transistor amps do), but the hiss comes from the amp rather than the speakers. Hiwatt amps are at the less noisy end of big valve amps as the design and build were scarily well done. I've dabbled with building my own valve amps and I kind of wish I could get mine as neat as Hiwatt did - they set a pretty high standard!

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1424729237' post='2699863']
It's the H&H I'm referring to. His like a snake they do - all of 'em.
[/quote]

Hmm... I'll have to get rid of it then, shall I..? :unsure: No, as mentioned above, you're mistaking the [i]cab [/i]for an HH [i]amp[/i]. Mine is a bass cab, 2 x 15, horn-loaded (look it up...), which,naturally, is hiss-proof. No, Hiwatts don't hiss, either. It can crumble concrete, however, if solicited in earnest. Valve amps (matched with adequate cabs...) are a Good Thing for bass.
Word.

I have to pitch in here as I regularly use my 1974 HH IC100 and 1x15 cabinet for pub gigs, there is no hiss at all and I have never needed more volume.

Cost effective too as I have used this setup since 1977, though the speaker has been replaced with a 300W Celestion since.

Back on topic I also have a 1972 Hiwatt Custom 50 which is as loud and clean as anyone could need and sounds good too, I tend to leave it at home as it is awkward to lug around and too valuable to get knocked about.

[quote name='kev b' timestamp='1424736597' post='2699976']...
Back on topic I also have a 1972 Hiwatt Custom 50 which is as loud and clean as anyone could need and sounds good too, I tend to leave it at home as it is awkward to lug around and too valuable to get knocked about.
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

My all-time favourite guitar amp. Top notch.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='kev b' timestamp='1424736597' post='2699976']
I have to pitch in here as I regularly use my 1974 HH IC100 and 1x15 cabinet for pub gigs, there is no hiss at all and I have never needed more volume.

Cost effective too as I have used this setup since 1977, though the speaker has been replaced with a 300W Celestion since.

[/quote]

I used a 74 ic100 guitar head for years, first with 2 X 1X15 HH PA cabs and then with a Fender 2X15 never had a problem with hiss and plenty loud enough. I have a Silverface Bassman 100 which I use occasionally with the same cab but tbh its only loud enough for smaller venues. Just too muddy when its turned up too high.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='kev b' timestamp='1424736597' post='2699976']

[/quote]

Never mind all this old amp and speakers nonsense ;)
Why is a newbie impersonating our very own KevB :ph34r: :blink:

So ..... I played a Peavey Valveking 100 Watt all valve head today at a pub gig - where I was standing in for a friend's Dad on bass.

Peavey Valveking on top, Barefaced Retro Two10 in the middle, Barefaced Compact Gen 2 on the bottom. It looked awesome. Pedalboard was TC Polytune, a Sansamp Triac set to two different SVT emulations and a Bassman setting - plus an iStomp with Red Compressor all via a G70 wireless.

The band I played with loved it all.

It all sounded like the RH750 - but a bit cleaner. I used the clean channel.

One thing I wondered about was the volume. Well, just like the RH750 - I couldn't get the dial on more than a quarter volume without everyone saying I was too loud.

So ...... brilliant. Looks cool, sounded cool, plenty volume in reserve.

Only downside was the weight and size. Not too bad though. I think it's a keeper.

I lurked here for a while before joining and kev b is my user name on many other forums, I must have been able to register using an existing name as I used all lower case letters.

Apologies for causing any confusion - kev b

It's something I have always wanted to do.

For those interested check out this Valve Rig Run Down;

[b][size=4]Rig Rundown - Cheap Trick Robin Zander and Tom Petersson [/size][/b]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qQcYLDoEcY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-qQcYLDoEcY[/url]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='kev b' timestamp='1425257049' post='2705686']
I lurked here for a while before joining and kev b is my user name on many other forums, I must have been able to register using an existing name as I used all lower case letters.

Apologies for causing any confusion - kev b
[/quote]
I wasn't being serious Kev .......welcome to the wonderful world of basschat. :drinks:

It seems the old Hiwatts are still quite popular......

This is my 1974 DR112 100 Watt PA head. I use it for gigging on a regular basis with a Behringer BDI 121 in front of it and I love it. I also use it with 6 string guitar at home and it produces a lovely clean sound. It is plenty loud enough for regular pub gigs.

I made my own cab for it. It has a pair of 1976 Goodmans Audiom 12-P speakers and a pair of Goodmans Hifax 50 HX Horns. The only downside to this rig is the weight.

Jas