Why become a member? ×

He is getting desperate.

JJW

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1445145993' post='2889044']
I thought that. He's so convinced that it's worth a lot of money that I can see him letting it go for the £200 that I wildly, very wildly, guesstimate that it would actually go for if the auction ran properly.

My thoughts were that he's probably put in a high (e.g. £800) shill bid as a hidden reserve.

The other alternative is that there may be auction wreckers who think it's funny to use a throwaway account to bid the price way up then not pay.
[/quote]

That should be "I can see him [b]refusing to let it go[/b] for the £200". A typo. I meant to express the same sentiment as Beer of the Bass.

Still £311.09 with five days to go. Higher than i predicted it would go, and there's plenty of time left.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1445537197' post='2892289']
You might be able to undo the modifications and make an ERB with fewer strings from it. If I had landed it with my £50 bid, that's what I would have been thinking.
[/quote]

Like a wide-necked 6-string bass for those sausage-fingered builders and bricklayers? You could be onto something there! Though in all seriousness, it looks too cheap and nasty to be an attractive instrument even if you managed to make it playable, with the plywood body and brown painted fingerboard.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1445548229' post='2892402']
Like a wide-necked 6-string bass for those sausage-fingered builders and bricklayers? You could be onto something there! Though in all seriousness, it looks too cheap and nasty to be an attractive instrument even if you managed to make it playable, with the plywood body and brown painted fingerboard.
[/quote]

I don't think it would be wide necked. I thought that the general opinion was that part of the modifications that had been done to it were to add extra strings. E.g. multiple strings sharing the same slot in the bridge. If that's the case, then it might be improved by returning it to the original number of strings. Might.

I only bid £50 on it. I thought that it would be worth a punt at that price. And, if it didn't look as if it could be improved, I could donate it as a mystery raffle prize for the next East Midlands bass bash.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1445863395' post='2894773']
Wow. That was one auction where I was expecting a crazy flurry of activity in the dying seconds... as bidders rush to retract their bids!!
[/quote]

There was one retraction this morning - that could be the be the seller under another account trying to push up the price to the next highest bid.

I'm wondering whether he'll actually ship it at that price even if the final bid did happen to be legit given that he's wanted so much for it in the past.
On the other hand, I also wonder whether we'll see it re-listed due to a time waster not paying up or similar... I can see someone getting cold feet on this particular purchase :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1445591307' post='2892580']
I don't think it would be wide necked. I thought that the general opinion was that part of the modifications that had been done to it were to add extra strings. E.g. multiple strings sharing the same slot in the bridge. If that's the case, then it might be improved by returning it to the original number of strings. Might.

I only bid £50 on it. I thought that it would be worth a punt at that price. And, if it didn't look as if it could be improved, I could donate it as a mystery raffle prize for the next East Midlands bass bash.
[/quote]

Its easy to see how the bridge(s) have been added to with the extra strings, but the headstocks a different kettle of trout. Cant see that one meself. I wonder if hes made a whole new neck for it? maybe from an old section of dual - carriageway perhaps

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1445900526' post='2895300']
Its easy to see how the bridge(s) have been added to with the extra strings, but the headstocks a different kettle of trout. Cant see that one meself. I wonder if hes made a whole new neck for it? maybe from an old section of dual - carriageway perhaps
[/quote]

I think it was built with 15 strings, but so badly thought out that it would barely be a useable instrument. I've seen pictures of these in their original form, and there were quite a few abominations on eBay under the Tennessee brand a few years ago. There are pictures of an unmodified one here, though come to think of it this might be the same one with a few awful hack jobs and a coat of brown paint on the fingerboard.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/now-thats-just-crazy.447817/"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/now-thats-just-crazy.447817/[/url]

[attachment=203699:Tennessee bass.jpg][quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1445901550' post='2895309']
I think it was built with 15 strings, but so badly thought out that it would barely be a useable instrument. I've seen pictures of these in their original form, and there were quite a few abominations on eBay under the Tennessee brand a few years ago. There are pictures of an unmodified one here, though come to think of it this might be the same one with a few awful hack jobs and a coat of brown paint on the fingerboard.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/now-thats-just-crazy.447817/"]http://www.talkbass....t-crazy.447817/[/url]
[/quote]Looks like Tennessee are serial offenders. Why?!

I do not believe that this was a genuine sale. The retracted bid is particularly suspicious. I believe that it was the owner bidding against an auction wrecker. That it was a private auction makes me even more suspicious. The owner had previously told me that he would accept about £800 for it.

Examples of me being wrong abound like dandelions in an untended field. But that's what I believe.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1445941413' post='2895520']
Do we think he's trying to recoup a massive outlay? Did he pay a fortune for it?
[/quote]

From what I can recall of Tennessee instruments on eBay they were improbably cheap for what they were attempting to be, though I've yet to see anyone expressing satisfaction with one. He may have spent as much on the strings as the bass, if not more.