Why become a member? ×

will there ever be another music sub-culture?

MacDaddy

Im sure there are new sub-cultures popping up all the time but they dont seem to be as 'all encompassing' as they used to be.
The young'uns today seem more interested in youtube and bookface that music. When I were a youf (mid 70s) I would study album covers, learn the guitar/bass lines and search out the appropriate gear to wear to signify my position in the movement.
Its not like that now... imho.
Ps. What is a youtuber?

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423876690' post='2690098']

I constantly wish that I was born in the 60s, or 70s because the state of the music industry and the way its using sex

I'm bored of hearing songs about 'Da Club', 'Pimping', and 'Drinking from da bottle'. Music now has absolutely no message or substance behind it and because of that the only 'movement' you are going to get from me is turning the radio off and plugging my ipod in...

Take me back and send me to the 60s I say...
[/quote]

The 60's and 70's weren't that different. If you only judged the music scene by what surfaced to radio or TV - Beatles etc aside - was mainly bilge.

There's still great music going on today that won't make the radio or TV. Don't hang a generation on Miley Cyrus! :)

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1423909215' post='2690212']
Dubstep and before that was nu rave. There is a lot of good dance music coming through but it's not on Radio 1. I thought rock was fairly popular again as of last year.
[/quote]

But were they part of a scene involving music and fashion?

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1423926538' post='2690446']
Er yeah... the EDM scene is massive. You been to a club lately?
[/quote]
Yes, but at my club periodicals of the day are present, ladies are not permitted and there is a no talking rule.

;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1423924786' post='2690421']
But were they part of a scene involving music and fashion?
[/quote]
The Nu Rave scene certainly had its own fashion which even made it into Top Shop and H&M, both shops that pounce on emerging trends with almost alarming efficiency.

As for Dubstep I really wouldn't know but then I'm not really familiar with the ins and outs of the dance scene. I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't some distinguishing style features, but you'd have to be able to interpret the fashion before you could identify it with a particular scene. I doubt my mother would have the foggiest idea about identifying grunge or trash fans.

Edited by Musky

You're looking in the wrong place for subcultures. With computer games and anime being more important, that's where the youth subcultures have gone. Modern day music seems to have stopped progressing. Either we'll get to a point where stagnation will lead to the next musical revolution. Or music will fade in importance compared to the 60s/70s/80s (later?) and be replaced permanently by other media and pastimes.

Personally I believe that any future musical revolution will be intimately mixed with games/interactive media.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I think there is, its called modern digital recording.
You know where everything get compressed and shoved up to Zero and made as loud as possible with no space for any dynamics.
It all sounds the same, any style, any band, BANG BANG GRUNGE.
Surely a new subculture,

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1424081079' post='2692230']
I think there is, its called modern digital recording. You know where everything get compressed and shoved up to Zero and made as loud as possible with no space for any dynamics. It all sounds the same, any style, any band, BANG BANG GRUNGE. Surely a new subculture.
[/quote]

This has been the case since the early 1990s. However the end of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war"]Loudness War[/url] is in sight due to something called [url="http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/pro-tools-10-the-benefits-of-32-bit-floating-point-audio"]32-Bit Float[/url].

Edited by discreet

Steampunk....

Serioulsy, though. I think that the music sub-culture thing has got so disparate that it hasn't got the universality that it had in the past. I know that Jazz history used to be laid out very clearly an dsimplistically;

Louis Armstrong, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman but, after that, there was no one strain of Jazz that overwhelmed all of the others. The idea that a bamd like The Beatles can come along and take over everything is no longer credible. In the US in the 1960s, EVERYONE watched Ed SUllivan and EVERYONE saw their debut. EVERYONE listened to Radio One and so one. That is no longer the case and many of the celebrity musicians are unknown and so a 'school' of music is unlikley to form.

To be fair, a lot of su-genres are anorack territory. I remember having a surreal conversation with some young rockers years ago; we like speed metal but we don't like death metal... WTF? Hard Rock vs HM etc etc. NWOBHM. It gets harder to tell the differnce.

But everyone watches youtube. Or at least enough people to make it close enough to everyone. That we get viral videos such as Gangnam Style shows that it's still possible for something coordinated to emerge.

Perhaps it could be said that X-Factor, The Voice, the TV talent shows are a new culture. Not one that I particularly approve of myself, but they are widely watched and perhaps have hoovered up a proportion of consumers who otherwise might have been screaming at The Beatles.

If we're just talking about music that has an identifiable set of clothes to go with it since emo of the 00's I can only come up with two:

As mentioned previously - that alt-folk, mumford & sons thing. There's a definite sound to all the bands and the smartly-dressed-farmer look to go with it. Mandolins, banjos maybe even one of those drum-box things combined with flannel shirts, waist-coats & turned up chinos.

The other one would be "The Wave" hardcore bands - whilst hardcore & it's fashion has been going since punk these bands do seem to have splintered away and if you go to the gigs of both there is definitely a different vibe between them. A different focus on lyrics, some upbeat tracks - recommended bands; Touche Amore, La Dispute, Pianos for Teeth etc... Fashion is a cross of hipster & punk - rolled up beanies, very skinny t-shirts & jeans, lots of tattoos - there's also a strangely large number of females at these gigs compared to any other heavy-music I've been to see.

Edited by Lw.