Why become a member? ×

BOSS ODB-3

cheddatom

The Boss ODB-3. Why does this pedal get so much stick?

I've been jamming with a heavy band recently, and my set up has been my usual blended tube screamer type, and then a fuzz of my choice for extra dirt when needed. I noticed I'd got a spare power cable on my daisy chain so went to look at my (large) pedal collection to choose something else to play with. Previously I'd been messing with tremolo and phasers in this position, but I decided to try the Boss ODB-3 for fun. I set it to bass 3 o'clock, treble 12, blend 9, gain just slightly on. As soon as I kicked it on I remembered why I love this pedal. The low end is just ball tickling.

I know the usual comment is that it sounds "fizzy", but I think these people are either using too much gain, not enough clean blend, or have a very, very trebly sound from their amp.

One of my favourite pedals, and I've tried many! Most people that slate it were probably looking for a warm overdrive - this is not the droid you are looking for. I use mine at high gain though, blend at 1 o'clock, gain at 3 o'clock, slight bass boost and treble cut - going into a relatively dark sounding rig (Orange TB500 + Ampeg SVT210AV - tweeterless, which tames the fizz)). I first saw the light after seeing Acid King live where the bassist was playing one with a Jazz into a cranked Ampeg SVT and 810 in a small/medium venue, absolutely crushing tone.

It needs a growly scooped sounding bass to shine though - I don't like it with a P-Bass, but with a Stingray or the PJ pickups from my BB, it snarls like a dog.

Edited by dannybuoy

I'm one of the ones who didn't get on with it, and yes I prefer lower gain sounds.

I bought it in the early/mid nineties and lived with it over a year. I used it with gain at about 9 o'clock, no blend, by 10 o'clock it was starting to get too distorted for my needs. And I was happy - the tone controls were great (huge amounts of beef available and the top could be tamed nicely). Things could get pretty wild dialling up the drive, which even though I never went there it was nice knowing I could. It was an always on pedal, no using it as a special effect for me.

And then I noticed it. That fizzy edge that seemed almost separate from the signal. Once I'd heard it I couldn't get it out of my head, and no matter what I did it was always there - turning the blend to almost dry, turning down the gain, nothing worked. Even using the studio's Bassman 135 and matching cab (hardly known for it's top end) you could hear that fizz. So I gave it away.

But no hate from me, and I've even recommended it on here to those who want an inexpensive aggressive pedal (where the ODB-3 really shines IMHO). It's just not for me. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1422963180' post='2678832']
The guy from Karnivool (forgot his name!) was using an ODB-3 for ages, and I don't think anyone can argue that his tone is lacking in any way
[/quote]

He's the reason I bought one in the first place. I'd been put off for years because of the bad rep, but now it's my go to heavy overdrive/distortion. I tend to have gain set at 9-10, blend at 3 and a slight bass boost. With my Warwick Thumb, this sounds angrier than my wife!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1423126694' post='2680975']
Well perhaps it's fortunes are changing - where are all the naysayers?!
[/quote]

I've never been able to get a tone that I liked out of one. Clearly it works for some people, thats cool, I'd never claim that a pedal was rubbish just because I didn't have a use for it.

I learned my lesson on that. Boss DS-1 - could not find a use for it, absolutely awful sounds on every guitar, bass, every setting etc. I gave it away. Then some dude came into my studio with a rickenfaker and a DS-1 and the sound it produced was pure filth! I had to eat my words

Edited by cheddatom