Why become a member? ×

Root Notes

Pete Academy

for years I was playing I fought the Law with mostly root notes, then I went to the trouble of learning it properly at band practice I played it properly then said to the rest of the band "Was that better with the correct bass line?" blank looks all round :( I think it's the same with drums TBH nobody notices, mind you I don't think you'd get away with playing just root notes on the intro to Peaches :)

I play in a band where Ihad to learn over 20 Motown Jamerson lines in under 3 weeks. That was stressful because I wanted them to sound 'right' which meant becoming Jamerson pretty much over night. I simplified a few little bits but now I realise the greatness of a beautiful bassline and always try and transcribe it close as i can then put my own spin on it. I wouldn't dare stick to root notes on that kind of stuff because all the character of the song is in the bassline.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422816525' post='2677144']
Well I play bass and sing lead vocals, so do I get the prize for doing most in the band?
[/quote]

No. You probably have to do lights, sound, set it all up and drive the van as well. (Although not all at the same time...)

:D

Edited by TimR

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1422533627' post='2673738']
Lot of comments about bass players not existing in a bands scheme of things.... If I got shoved to the back right corner of a stage, or given a corner of a grubby boozer to stand in, I would be off. [/quote]

Some of are up front guys and I guess some of you like standing back by the drummer. Me, I've always been an up front guy, it's just my preference.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1422427352' post='2672425']
Oi, stop pinching my set :lol:

People only notice the bass when something goes wrong or it stops. FACT!
[/quote]
My analogy is bass player is like the fourth table leg. No one notices unless it's not there or if a bit wobbly.

I always try and nail the bass parts on most things we do note for note:
a. because on songs I really like I don't think that I'm good enough to improve on the original so best try and get it right. If it's too hard (rarely happens) drop the song. We would if the singer couldn't sing it ?
b. If it's a song that someone in the audience knows loves, and connects with it may be , even subliminally, the bass part that dusts their broom.
c. and they may be a bass player and even one of m'learned colleagues on here :o
d.i just find it more satisfying, especially on the tricky ones or where the bass part is a "classic bass line."

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1422895783' post='2678022']
I play in a band where Ihad to learn over 20 Motown Jamerson lines in under 3 weeks. That was stressful because I wanted them to sound 'right' which meant becoming Jamerson pretty much over night. I simplified a few little bits but now I realise the greatness of a beautiful bassline and always try and transcribe it close as i can then put my own spin on it. I wouldn't dare stick to root notes on that kind of stuff because all the character of the song is in the bassline.
[/quote]

This. In bucket loads.

I don't really get this - you only notice the bass when it isn't there. I would imagine most of us play in bands with guitar drums vocals and perhaps one other instrument (probably second guitar or keyboards). In bands like this if the the arrangements are properly orchestrated and the sounds have been chosen appropriately so that each instrument has its own sonic space, then all the instruments are of equal importance and any one instrument dropping out when it shouldn't would be massively noticeable.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1422973110' post='2679004']
I heard this in a dodgy Mr Miyagi Chinese accent in my head. Zen and the Art of Bass Lines!
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

...and if one cocks up the bass part in a forest does it make a sound ? yes but you feel less of a prat because no one else can it and there's no where to plug in an amp Grasshopper.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1422973451' post='2679008']
I don't really get this - you only notice the bass when it isn't there. I would imagine most of us play in bands with guitar drums vocals and perhaps one other instrument (probably second guitar or keyboards). In bands like this if the the arrangements are properly orchestrated and the sounds have been chosen appropriately so that each instrument has its own sonic space, then all the instruments are of equal importance and any one instrument dropping out when it shouldn't would be massively noticeable.
[/quote]
Perhaps I should have said missing. It is if you're playing funk,disco, motown,soul or other bass driven type of stuff for people to dance to.

[/quote]

I second that, but still think punters and puntettes don't seem to notice the old bass, or realise that the beefy sound they are hearing is down to the bass player. They just think it's part of the guitar sound.

[/quote]that's a bloody big if

....I don't really get this - you only notice the bass when it isn't there....
[/quote]

+1

We've just had this discussion in another thread. Everyone hears my playing, but I don't care if the audience thinks it's me or a bass or bagpipes.

The band knows what I'm doing and that's the important thing.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1422974409' post='2679024']
I second that, but still think punters and puntettes don't seem to notice the old bass, or realise that the beefy sound they are hearing is down to the bass player. They just think it's part of the guitar sound.
[/quote]

It shouldn't matter what instrument is doing what, it's part of the overall band sound. The band as a whole should sound good. Playing music in a band is about all the musicians doing what's best for the band. If you can't do that then you're probably best off sticking to making YouTube videos in your bedroom.