Why become a member? ×

Superstition descending horn part

Lifer

Trying to figure out the descending part after the chorus but just can't get it, every time I think I've cracked it the next play through it sounds off.

The closest I think is Eb - Db - C - Bb - C - Eb... does anyone double it up and can tell me for sure? Hate having that niggle where I'm not 100% sure.

Other than that, much fun!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1422305605' post='2671010']
Had to grin when I saw an Eb - Stevie loves them black notes!
[/quote]

Yes - amongst several Stevie tunes which I have found consistently switched to E by guitar based groups. Another is I Wish. I think the flat keys maybe to fit his vocal range or are keys which suit horns better.

I think you are right with the horn part - I play this song in a group and play that as root, b7, 6, 5, 6, root. You can probably use a b3 and 4 over the 5, 6 of the riff to harmonise. It seems to fit what our brass section plays anyway!! I also use the pattern as the format of a bass part over a couple of solos which follow particularly as the clavinet part is played on a guitar. It can be quite effective with some slap interspersed with finger style. Needless to say we play the song in E!!!

None of the other players can possibly have played their parts along to the original as they would immediately be clashing by a semi tone!! I think it classes as a 'standard' which people sometimes play from memory rather than anything else.

Edited by drTStingray

This article doesn't talk about the key but it's a fascinating insight into the recording of the original.

Also a great excuse for your keys player to use when he says that Stevie's clavinet part is impossible to play properly live :)

http://homerecording.about.com/od/mixingyourmusic/a/mixing_superstition.htm

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1422346778' post='2671323']
Brass keys. Eb, Bb and Ab.

Standard brass tuning is Bb which means that if you play a C on a trumpet/trombone it will be the same pitch as a piano's Bb.
Saxes will usually be Eb.

:)
[/quote]
Common Saxes are:

Soprano Sax Bb
Alto Eb
Tenor Bb
Baritone Eb

And so on

Plus "C Melody Sax" in ..... wait for it.......... C!

Edited by Count Bassy

As above, although the octaves need to be adjusted when written to
get the target/sounding concert note (mainly Alto & Tenor).
Trombone (tenor) also written in Bass clef and not transposing for the
concert sounding note.
F# has six sharps, not five.
But what's a sharp among friends...lol...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1422360211' post='2671525']
As above, although the octaves need to be adjusted when written to
get the target/sounding concert note (mainly Alto & Tenor).
Trombone (tenor) also written in Bass clef and not transposing for the
concert sounding note.
F# has six sharps, not five.
But what's a sharp among friends...lol...
[/quote]

Good point. Missed that pesky E#. But illustrates why F# isn't a great key. :D

What this thread has shown me is I need to improve my theory!

I find it difficult on the bass though (just like playing songs!) so thinking picking up another instrument from scratch and learning theory/sight reading with that. Played euphonium for a while in school and enjoyed brass, anyone recommend a brass instrument that learning theory on would help bass (Bass clef obvs!) , but also something I could play in non-brass bands (eg ska!)?

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1422364623' post='2671624']
What this thread has shown me is I need to improve my theory!

I find it difficult on the bass though (just like playing songs!) so thinking picking up another instrument from scratch and learning theory/sight reading with that. Played euphonium for a while in school and enjoyed brass, anyone recommend a brass instrument that learning theory on would help bass (Bass clef obvs!) , but also something I could play in non-brass bands (eg ska!)?
[/quote]

I would have suggested Tuba but that's really a brass band instrument. Sousaphone would be better and if you like Dixieland jazz you'd never be out of work.

Think there was an interview on YOUTube or an article with Nathan Lamar Watts where he said he used a Musician (edit: MusicMan) for songs like Do I Do/I Wish and Sir Duke and detuned by a semitone to make it easier to play.

Edited by merello

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1422364623' post='2671624']... so thinking picking up another instrument from scratch and learning theory/sight reading with that. ... anyone recommend a [s]brass[/s] instrument that learning theory on would help bass (Bass clef obvs!) , but also something I could play in non-brass bands (eg ska!)?
[/quote]
Keyboard of some sort. It will help with everything and is wonderfully straightforward in layout, theory just seems to fall out of it. I picked up an old Yamaha organ (two manuals, bass pedals, built-in drum machine, etc.) a few weeks ago. I am learning like never before.

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1422376126' post='2671854']
Think there was an interview on YOUTube or an article with Nathan Lamar Watts where he said he used a Musician for songs like Do I Do/I Wish and Sir Duke and detuned by a semitone to make it easier to play.
[/quote]

Do you mean he got a dep?
Or predictive text gone tits up?

[quote name='Michael J' timestamp='1422376811' post='2671871']
Keyboard of some sort. It will help with everything and is wonderfully straightforward in layout, theory just seems to fall out of it. I picked up an old Yamaha organ (two manuals, bass pedals, built-in drum machine, etc.) a few weeks ago. I am learning like never before.
[/quote]

Now that's a good idea! I'm having a crack at the Major's theory lessons first but will be scouring ebay if that fails.