Why become a member? ×

Cheap basses vs Expensive basses

alembic1989

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1422121590' post='2668964']
Not quite my friend.
Putting a Bmw i8 engine, running gear, instrumentation, etc into a different car would be a better analogy.
[/quote]

Pedant alert - the i8 doesn't have an engine <_<[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1422126260' post='2669050']
Erm, thanks for that information. But my question was due to you choosing the BZ6000 (presumably over other basses) as a starting point for a project. As you were planning to defret the bass, I asked whether the ebonol fretboard which the BZ6000 has would be harder or easier to refret and then refinish than a standard wooden fretboard. You've given me a lot of general information about ebonol fretboards and what people think of them, but not addressed my actual question.
[/quote]
Pretty sure I answered you exactly when I wrote
[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1422120797' post='2668942']
No idea tbh
[/quote]
All problems have solutions, usually more than one solution - I was trying to make a general point that it is a safer option to modify an instrument that can be tested in playable form than buy a kit that doesn't provide any meaningful spec on the constituent parts. How many neck through 6ers are available at ~£200 new? the BZ6000 was the only one that sprang to mind as being well thought of.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1422127438' post='2669066']
Mind you the fender guitar was a design brief in how to create a cheap, mass produceable guitar....
[/quote]

The obvious reasons were the fact it was the first bass, not because of the quality :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1422129950' post='2669099']
Extract from Wikipedia (... and so not [i]guaranteed [/i]accurate, but...) ...

[attachment=181934:BMW_i8_Engi.jpg]
[/quote]

Which, strictly speaking is a range extending generator which charges the electric motor - but yes, even BMW call it an engine so I'll shut up!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1422132304' post='2669152']
Which, strictly speaking is a range extending generator which charges the electric motor - but yes, even BMW call it an engine so I'll shut up!
[/quote]
[size=4]From the Oxford...[/size]

Engine
9. Applied to various other machines analogous to the steam-engine; i.e. to machines including in themselves the means of generating power. Now esp., an internal-combustion engine, such as the motor of a road vehicle.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1422131748' post='2669141']
The obvious reasons were the fact it was the first bass, not because of the quality :)
[/quote]

[pedant] [url="http://www.vintageguitar.com/1782/audiovox-736/"]Wasn't.[/url] [/pedant]

:P

J.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1422126260' post='2669050']

Are the kits on your website? I had a look and I couldn't find anything. (I might have looked in the wrong place). Not that I'm likely to buy anything as up-market as a Carvin kit. But I'm curious to know what sort of high quality kits are around.
[/quote]

Each kit is actually made to order and there are stacks of options so it's near impossible to provide accurate prices without going through a detailed spec sheet.

Most people use the Carvin site to build a spec sheet and then we'll price it up and/or make recommendations (with help from the pro builders at Carvin).

We've never really pushed these as a major sales area because general demand for kit basses isn't huge.

Feels like we need to set up a dedicated page for kits and self build parts.