Why become a member? ×

Squire Vintage Modified, Just bought - Can't believe how good it is.

logicred

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422985788' post='2679187']
I have one of the 70s classic vibe precisions, lovely bass, it is my main 4 string gigging bass. I did compare it to an american standard on the day, and didn't like the american (didn't get on with the neck).
[/quote]

I've got quite bad GAS for one of those at the mo - very JJ Burnel with the black thing going on.

It's just my own personal struggle to pay nearly £400 for a bass with Squier on the headstock.....yes, I know it's me! :D

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1422986158' post='2679194']
I've got quite bad GAS for one of those at the mo - very JJ Burnel with the black thing going on.

It's just my own personal struggle to pay nearly £400 for a bass with Squier on the headstock.....yes, I know it's me! :D
[/quote]

I have the advantage that fender on a headstock is not something that means anything to me, so I was judging it by its own standards. By its own standards it was better than the american standard precision in the shop, or the aerodyne (which is what I went in to see). I am not a fan of P basses, but this bass is lovely, and also when I was rehearsing with it the other night, I was playing killer (which is the same all the way through), I realised I was staring at the neck, which is absolutely beautiful.

£360 for a bass this good compared to 3 times as much for something like that american precision that I rejected? Absolute bargain!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1422986984' post='2679206']
I have the advantage that fender on a headstock is not something that means anything to me, so I was judging it by its own standards. By its own standards it was better than the american standard precision in the shop, or the aerodyne (which is what I went in to see). I am not a fan of P basses, but this bass is lovely, and also when I was rehearsing with it the other night, I was playing killer (which is the same all the way through), I realised I was staring at the neck, which is absolutely beautiful.

£360 for a bass this good compared to 3 times as much for something like that american precision that I rejected? Absolute bargain!
[/quote]

Reading this isn't helping the GAS, LOL! :D

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1422711610' post='2675900']
I've literally just bought this VM Precision for £120 off of eBay, it was only listed for a few minutes before I snapped it up.
Well pleased! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677783228?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]
[/quote]

wow, missed that not too far from me....thats an early one too.... 2009?

Interesting. I had a spare set of active EMG - JVX pickups I grabbed from the US ($179 ish) and just popped them in the Squire VM (was really the main reason I bought the squire as I thought the pickups would be bad and didnt want my EMG's to go to waste!).

Plugged the bass in and have not noticed any tonal differences. Very very unexpected. I have swapped out vintage fender pickups with these before and the difference was chalk and cheese. I should have done a before/after recording, but to my ear there was not any difference.

I guess that's another plus side to the Squire's stock pickups! The strings have soon gone dead quickly though. The E string is slightly muted too (very noticeable when fretting first fret), I suspect crap strings?

Update on my Sqiuer Jazz Deluxe IV... I bought it as a no-worry gigging bass, but in a very short time it seems to be my go-to bass... I spent some time choosing strings, tweaking the truss rod, fitting a Hipshot Xtender, tort guard and 'Scotchbriting' the neck to get it just how I wanted it - and now I'd be miffed if anything happened to it, thus defeating the object of buying it in the first place!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255078-nbd-squier-deluxe-jazz-iv-active/

I'll get a sound file up so you can check it out.

I found that the Fender strings that came with my VM sounded great for 2-3 days then died off very very quickly. I was tempted to buy another set to see how long they last from fresh (the set on the bass were on there when it was up on the shop wall) but then I splashed out on a set of Elixirs.