Why become a member? ×

flight cases - any lightweight options?

My ampeg V4 weighs an absolute tonne. I thought the GT200 was heavy but the V4 is next level.

Adding to this is the fact that it only has 1 handle, on the top. Meaning that it's hard to get 2 people to carry it.

So I was thinking of getting a case for it so 2 people can manage the load (also the benefits of a flight case of course).

My issue is making it even more heavy and big (did I mention it's the size of a house? It has the same width as the height of my vertical matamp 2x12). If I get it flight cased it might make the whole thing impossible for 1 person to lift (which I have to do sometimes).

Thoughts? Lightweight case options? Drill more handles?

(please don't say buy a markbass).

The hex-board stuff isn't heavy - worth talking to a maker or looking around. There are also fibre-board cases (as used for lighting and old drum cases) - not as durable but still pretty good. My old bits box was a fibre-type lighting case and its still fine after about 20 years of van travel...although the foam inside has rotted badly.

One of these, or similar, on each flank, and a slip-on cover..?

[attachment=181179:Flig_Hand.jpg]

I sympathise, but it's an uncomfortable fact: some amps weigh the moon. We use a Hiwatt 200w, fully flight-cased, so I know the problem. It's just very, very heavy, that's all there is to it. A case will protect it better, of course, there's no 'magic bullet'. Sorry.

For many years now I've used EMS cases.

Very light and incredibly strong, I know I've dropped them a few times. Handles on both sides. Come in 3U increments.

Details at [url="http://www.cpcases.com/product.asp?productid=11"]http://www.cpcases.com/product.asp?productid=11[/url]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421417235' post='2660959']
One of these, or similar, on each flank, and a slip-on cover..?

[attachment=181179:Flig_Hand.jpg]

I sympathise, but it's an uncomfortable fact: some amps weigh the moon. We use a Hiwatt 200w, fully flight-cased, so I know the problem. It's just very, very heavy, that's all there is to it. A case will protect it better, of course, there's no 'magic bullet'. Sorry.
[/quote]

That might be a good option...

I've already forked out about £45 for a roqsolid case :dash1: